Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Yup!! I will admit that as a member of the generation labeled as "ADD," I do enjoy the stimulation from seeing and hearing many things at one time. Of course, I do also enjoy hearing full length pieces so it is not some mutually exclusive thing. I can be a fan of both styles. 

I'm just not vehemently against the chopping of music as the older fans are. The way I see it, the chopped up arrangements are like a puzzle. I enjoy seeing the creative ways designers can come up with linking one piece of music to another. As an example, even though I'm not much of a fan of the show overall, I loved the way Crown linked Somewhere and Somwhere over the rainbow in 2009. So creative.

The more traditional fans can yell and scream about these chopped up arrangements as much as they want, but there's no denying that for the younger fans, there's an appeal to today's style of show design. 

if the mashups are well constructed, it can be a thing of beauty. Crown is usually the best

• Like 1

12 hours ago, c mor said:

checking in.   50 pages - any resolutions yet?

hahahaha

• Like 1

16 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I am well within my right to simply state that if/when DCI panders to pop culture to draw in the masses, I will lose interest in the activity.  I am bombarded with pop culture everywhere I look - don't need/want it in drum corps.  

If it's "pop culture" writ large that bothers you, you would've stopped being a fan circa "When A Man Loves a Woman," honestly, or even mega-popular musicals like Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story, which are influential far beyond the realm of musicals. Pop culture has always been a part of the activity; it's only a problem for you now because you happen not to like the current pop that appeals to young people. 

But don't the young people marching today deserve shows that reflect their own time, just as the shows of past reflected theirs?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that disconnect is less and less every year for the last 4 years. stop being so 2012

By stop being so 2012, I take it then that the pre-season pre-show tutorials have stopped or have been considerably lessened since 2012?

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

audio to visual coordination has been a part of GE for eons

Why then did DCI have to make sure and address this visual/music - music/visual crossover with the GE judges a few years back?

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

If it's "pop culture" writ large that bothers you, you would've stopped being a fan circa "When A Man Loves a Woman," honestly, or even mega-popular musicals like Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story, which are influential far beyond the realm of musicals. Pop culture has always been a part of the activity; it's only a problem for you now because you happen not to like the current pop that appeals to young people. 

But don't the young people marching today deserve shows that reflect their own time, just as the shows of past reflected theirs?

Of course they do.  But when I speak of pop culture, I'm not just talking about music.  I'm talking about commercialization, themes, behaviors, trends, gestalt, zeitgeist, all of those at times intangible concepts that make up a span of years in the grand scheme of time.  I don't believe the activity needs to pander to all of that to draw in an audience or to create a greater connection to the audience.  IMO drum corps should just keep on doing what it has been doing.  That's all I'm saying.

A good show connects because it is good, not because it is trying to please the highest number of people.  Case in point:  Inside the Ink.  Brilliant design.  Everyone gets it.  There is more at a deeper level to find if you look, or not.  

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Of course they do.  But when I speak of pop culture, I'm not just talking about music.  I'm talking about commercialization, themes, behaviors, trends, gestalt, zeitgeist, all of those at times intangible concepts that make up a span of years in the grand scheme of time.  I don't believe the activity needs to pander to all of that to draw in an audience or to create a greater connection to the audience.  IMO drum corps should just keep on doing what it has been doing.  That's all I'm saying.

A good show connects because it is good, not because it is trying to please the highest number of people.  Case in point:  Inside the Ink.  Brilliant design.  Everyone gets it.  There is more at a deeper level to find if you look, or not.  

We agree it should keep doing what it's doing! But that means: it should keep up with the times. Because what drum corps has always done is speak to the audience of the moment. So, ironically, if it's gonna keep on keeping on, it has to change—because it has always changed. That's always been a part of it. That's what it means for drum corps to be drum corps: change.

I agree, some of the stuff is excessive, but idk, when I got into the activity in 2000, I was frankly shocked to go back to the 90s shows and realize how weird and modern a lot of those shows are. I still am. 

8 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

We agree it should keep doing what it's doing! But that means: it should keep up with the times. Because what drum corps has always done is speak to the audience of the moment. So, ironically, if it's gonna keep on keeping on, it has to change—because it has always changed. That's always been a part of it. That's what it means for drum corps to be drum corps: change.

I agree, some of the stuff is excessive, but idk, when I got into the activity in 2000, I was frankly shocked to go back to the 90s shows and realize how weird and modern a lot of those shows are. I still am. 

We likely agree more than disagree.  My antennae pop up when I hear talk of appealing to the masses, more pop, less edification in shows, things of that nature.  

Shows are what they are and they either work or they don't, or they work a little bit, etc.  They can be super deep and complicated and STILL be appealing to the masses if they are designed right. But they shouldn't have 'mass appeal' as the only goal.  The goal should be a good show that flows, that the MMs LOVE performing, and that is peppered with some big WOW moments.  A show like that is gonna connect.

I love the variety.  Keep it coming.  And as your signature reminds us, it is AMAZING what these ensembles do!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

If that is the case we must have not had very many good shows post Y2K because even DCI admitted it was fighting a huge 'disconect'

We've had tons of amazing shows every single year post Y2K :)

• Like 1