Lighting: The new frontier

Not sure if lighting,  in and of itself, is the new frontier.   I think electronics, vocal, and choreography is the the future - and perhaps woodwinds tossed in there as well - not that I like or not.  In spite of many changes to drum corps over the past number of years, top corps have pretty much been 80 brass, 30 something percussion/pit and guard apiece.   It will be interesting to see if that corps makeup continues, or will electronics impact instrumentation for the sake of other visual effect-makers?   Additionally, as effect-makers continue to take a stronghold on the activity, will the lesser corps be able to keep up? Or, will the big toys be limited economically to  the "G7" type corps?

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, afd said:

Didn't BD use lighting for Felliniesque? 

It was pretty minimal. There have been other corps that have used LED lights in their shows recently: SCV 2015, Blue Stars 2016, Colts 2016, Legends 2016 (and 2017). In general, if a designer is going to use lights, they should make them a distinct color like Legends did last year (bright green). Plain white is very hard to make out when the stadium lights are the same color.

Now, I can see TV projections happening. They've been used pretty effectively in BOA and in WGI. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before we start seeing HDTVs projecting images that are synchronized to what the corps is doing.

9 hours ago, denverjohn said:

So, is there any chance DCI might allow for eliminating the "house lights" for those competing units who request it.

Pro football stadiums are not concert halls with easy dimable 'house lights' that can be turned down and up quickly.  While they can turn lights off for a single Rock Band stage production or a Super Bowl halftime performance, it takes a rather long time to get them back on and up to field lumin level.  So unless you want far fewer performances per event and a 30 to 45 min lag in between each corps, it would be impractical to do this for DCI.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

And we descend further and further down the road of Cirque on Grass or whatever is popular at the moment.

Drum corps find it easy to change their identity now because they have no identity now.  There-in is the future.

This is a pretty good summation, garfield!

DCI is now the Wild, Wild, West.  I'm not particularly surprised, and as long as "whatever it is" continues to impress me I will follow along. This is the nature of the creative minds behind the scenes. Debuting the next "big thing" is what motivates them. I still believe some form of this will make its way to America's hockey arenas under the DCI umbrella.

It's OK, really. I'm not the same as I was even a few years ago!

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

And we descend further and further down the road of Cirque on Grass or whatever is popular at the moment.

Drum corps find it easy to change their identity now because they have no identity now.  There-in is the future.

Why don't ya just tell us what ya 'really' think there Gar?

26 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Stadium logistics aside...how would they effectively rehearse these effects in the hours and hours of daylight?

There ya' go, using all those common-sense arguments to make a point...

And George says "Hey, let's put up a tent that looks like LOS and practice in that!"

And the Cirque becomes literal.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

Boston might have the best approach to a new visual element with that fire.

That effect could be used at multiple angles, with many colors, at different times in a program.

16 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

DCI is now the Wild, Wild, West. 

Other than a Mel Brooks type movie, I am having a hard time visualizing the wild, wild west as a dancing prancing spandex wearing era. Just sayin'.