Whats your on favorite show?

8 hours ago, garfield said:

Has no one suggested that posts include the year you began watching drum corps?  How many here saw '75 Scouts live on finals night?  (raises hand)  or '83 Garfield? (raises hand), or even '87 SCV or '88 SCV?  (raises hand)  If I hear Kinetic Noise one more time my head is going to explode.

History counts, folks.  Perspective is important.   

My perspective of one's opinion is more complete when I know what's being compared.  I know it's not a contest;  just put the first year you began watching drum corps.

Or not.  It's just band.

(Thanks.  I feel better.  Back to work...  Carry on)

We get it, you don't like the Bluecoats. You don't need to trash them at every opportunity in every thread.

Is Kinetic Noise the only show that I love? Of course not. Among others, my favorites include 1980 Bridgemen, 1983 Cadets, 1989 SCV, 1989 Phantom, 1991 Star, 1992 Velvet Knights, 1993 Star, 1995 Cavaliers, 1996 Phantom, 1999 SCV, 1999 Blue Devils, 2000 Cadets, 2000-2008 Cavaliers, 2003 Phantom, 2006 Phantom, 2008 Phantom, 2008 Crown, 2009 Crown, 2008-2016 Bluecoats, 2010 Cavaliers, 2010 Phantom, 2010 Cadets, 2011 Cadets, 2013 Crown, 2014 SCV, 2014 Blue Devils. Is this list more heavily biased toward more recent shows? Yes, because I'm only 24 and my tastes are more aligned toward more recent design aesthetics. Does that mean that I have no appreciation for the old style? Of course not. But this thread was about my singular favorite show, so I posted about my singular favorite show. Stop assuming that because I'm young, or because I only marched recently, that I have no knowledge or understanding or appreciation for old school drum corps.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, pudding said:

We get it, you don't like the Bluecoats. You don't need to trash them at every opportunity in every thread.

Is Kinetic Noise the only show that I love? Of course not. Among others, my favorites include 1980 Bridgemen, 1983 Cadets, 1989 SCV, 1989 Phantom, 1991 Star, 1992 Velvet Knights, 1993 Star, 1995 Cavaliers, 1996 Phantom, 1999 SCV, 1999 Blue Devils, 2000 Cadets, 2000-2008 Cavaliers, 2003 Phantom, 2006 Phantom, 2008 Phantom, 2008 Crown, 2009 Crown, 2008-2016 Bluecoats, 2010 Cavaliers, 2010 Phantom, 2010 Cadets, 2011 Cadets, 2013 Crown, 2014 SCV, 2014 Blue Devils. Is this list more heavily biased toward more recent shows? Yes, because I'm only 24 and my tastes are more aligned toward more recent design aesthetics. Does that mean that I have no appreciation for the old style? Of course not. But this thread was about my singular favorite show, so I posted about my singular favorite show. Stop assuming that because I'm young, or because I only marched recently, that I have no knowledge or understanding or appreciation for old school drum corps.

You're right - I don't. 

And I don't.

I'm not assuming anything; I just appreciate the relative perspective of posters.  I'm not a rookie here.

(Psst, and the "we" is just you, Grasshopper.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garfield said:

Has no one suggested that posts include the year you began watching drum corps?  How many here saw '75 Scouts live on finals night?  (raises hand)  or '83 Garfield? (raises hand), or even '87 SCV or '88 SCV?  (raises hand)  If I hear Kinetic Noise one more time my head is going to explode.

History counts, folks.  Perspective is important.   

My perspective of one's opinion is more complete when I know what's being compared.  I know it's not a contest;  just put the first year you began watching drum corps.

Or not.  It's just band.

(Thanks.  I feel better.  Back to work...  Carry on)

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, but DCI's history is personal to each of us.  The OP's question was a personal one, which is highly-dependent of the experience of the poster.

"The One" for a poster with only 5 years of experience helps explain his/her universe of choices to pick from.  

I get it.  You get it.  It's all good.  It's just band.

Gar I hear ya; yes it might be a good idea to state what era a person was introduced to drum corps; history is important; and all of this is just personal taste; but think about this: The era I was introduced (the 70's) and the years I marched (the 80's), and the few years after while I was still a young adult, neither I nor the other youth performers in my corps had ever seen, nor really cared, about the various corps performances thirty or forty years in the past. Even when we were introduced to recordings or saw videos or home-movie clips from the old fart alumni we still really did not care all that much.  Of course now that I am a seasoned old fart I do care to see/hear shows from back before my day; but when I was young in the 70's and 80's , meh… 50's and 60's were old fart stuff.

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

You're right - I don't. 

And I don't.

I'm not assuming anything; I just appreciate the relative perspective of posters.  I'm not a rookie here.

(Psst, and the "we" is just you, Grasshopper.)

For someone who claims to appreciate the relative perspective of posters, you sure do like to marginalize the younger crowd in favor of what you clearly think is the superior older crowd. Ageism at its finest. 

My One Program would have to be Regiment's 1996 "Defiant Heart" show.  It was 1)pure, 2)bare bones, 3)ultra clean and so 4)powerful.  The all black with the guard in the red dresses was 5)gorgeous, and the 6)guard moment raises her arms to bring in the rest of the guard at the end of the opener is goosebump city.  The 7)silver reflective poles were a great effect live, and 8) the closing flag movement was fantastic.  The clinchers were the 9) dark, luscious brass sound and the 10) unmatched power and effect of the "arc" moment in the closer.

My One Show would be 2008 Bloomington.  I could say "Spartacus" 10 times and that's enough, but here's ten reasons:

1. Spartacus.  Never seen that electric of a moment with a crowd and corps as one.  Goosebumps to this day thinking about it.
  2. The quality of the entire top 4 was astounding
  3. Finis was sublime with so many incredible brass moments for Crown
  4. Blue Devils had an incredible show done oh so well.
  5. Cavalier Samurai was their last tour de force of creativity for me and captured the them perfectly
  6. Blue Stars Le Tour is still one of my favorite shows - such an incredible brass book
  7. The ballad acapella brass moment in Bluecoats boxing show.  I miss THAT Bluecoats
  8. The electricity in the stands the entire night - and our LAST finals outdoors in a stadium where everyone sat together, not broken into 6 levels
  9. "The Yell" as the vast majority of the thousands in the stands yelled "I am Spartacus" with the corps, and then pure pandemonium where you could barely hear the corps close the show
  10. The most electrifying retreat of all time.  What a 30 seconds of pure chaos and cheers at the end.

Harvey

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Garfield Cadets 1987 - Appalachian Spring

1. Expert music arranging for brass and percussion. Very true to the original masterpiece by Copland.
  2. The show had a sense of awe, wow, and a regal nature to it. It was artistic as anything you will see in drum corps.
  3. Perfect drill writing (Zingali)
  4. Staging of the guard was masterful
  5. The opening hit is classic drum corps power
  6. Ballet. The show utilized ballet stances and a ballet dancer.
  7. I tend to be a symphonic person first and foremost (even though I love jazz), and this show spoke to my heart.
  8. Excellence in marching
  9. Killer company front, with the build to the front, the dissolving of the front, and the reappearance. A total wow moment at that time and the crowd went nuts!
  10. One of the best soft endings ever in DCI history with the backstage exit and masterful drill by Zingali.
  11. And just for good measure, the show did win Gold, but it had to do so against what I feel is also one of the best shows anyone will ever see in their lifetime (SCV 1987). To me you could have had a tie and I would have been fine with that. Two of the most perfectly designed shows ever were SCV and Garfield 1987.

Converse relationship here:

Santa Clara Vanguard 1987 for mostly the same reasons.

but when I heard Garfield's first hit of "Vanguard" music and saw the "stylized" marching I was concerned.

Then that company front happened.... :(

I have a bunch of cavies shows I really enjoy 1990, 1991, 1995, 2000-2006, 2008, 2010 (THIS IS MY RIFLE!) 2011, 2014, and 2016 stick out to me the most (not saying I don't like their earlier shows like in the 80s... like 1989 or 85) but I gotta go with 2016, Propaganda for right now. 

1st- I remember how worried I was for that season. Another rebuilding year and I wasn't sure about the show in general. The uniforms were "different". Heck I remember posting a comment on facebook saying "Ya'll are my corps and will always cheer for you, but I am not sure if i can yell go green machine because of the lack of the color." Seeing it in Houston I remember seeing a sign saying Make the cavaliers green again (or something like that). I burst out laughing!

2nd- The design was beautiful. Raw Cavies power.

3rd- I don't think I will ever forget my reaction to that opening hit "You are not machines. You are men!" BAM!  I had an instant smile on my face.

4th- That hornline was worldly better compared to 2012 to 2015. That low brass was awesome. 

5th- awesome drill

6th- I know placements do not matter, but jumping to 5th from a 9th place finish is awesome. 

7th- I always felt like this show was a statement to some of the nay sayers on dcp and facebook. Not accusing anyone of anything, but lets face it... there were some negative comments towards the corps. Even if they were true or not.

8th- they found an identity again. The show, in my opinion, is a good balance between the 2000s and what dci is becoming. 

9th- screamers

10th. THAT CLOSER IS JUST FREAKING AWESOME! 

GO CAVIES!!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pudding said:

For someone who claims to appreciate the relative perspective of posters, you sure do like to marginalize the younger crowd in favor of what you clearly think is the superior older crowd. Ageism at its finest. 

Gonna jump in on this one: It is in the perspective of ‘living’ through something as opposed to learning about it after you were born in which an issue like this arises, not in the actual factual history of the subject matter at hand.  For example, I am old enough to remember witnessing the effects of the Vietnam War as they happened, and also witnessed the 9/11/2001 Attack live on TV after I had become an adult; but many of my former and current private students were not alive during those events.  So, the way I was impacted by say Suncoast Sound’s Vietnam Show and Madison Scouts’ Empire State of Mind performance is vastly different than a kid now watching the Suncoast show on video or even if they watched the Scouts show live in person at Lucas Stadium.  So be very careful on how you criticize older farts like us by calling on the ageism card to further your point.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

My One Program would have to be Regiment's 1996 "Defiant Heart" show.  It was 1)pure, 2)bare bones, 3)ultra clean and so 4)powerful.  The all black with the guard in the red dresses was 5)gorgeous, and the 6)guard moment raises her arms to bring in the rest of the guard at the end of the opener is goosebump city.  The 7)silver reflective poles were a great effect live, and 8) the closing flag movement was fantastic.  The clinchers were the 9) dark, luscious brass sound and the 10) unmatched power and effect of the "arc" moment in the closer.

My One Show would be 2008 Bloomington.  I could say "Spartacus" 10 times and that's enough, but here's ten reasons:

1. Spartacus.  Never seen that electric of a moment with a crowd and corps as one.  Goosebumps to this day thinking about it.
  2. The quality of the entire top 4 was astounding
  3. Finis was sublime with so many incredible brass moments for Crown
  4. Blue Devils had an incredible show done oh so well.
  5. Cavalier Samurai was their last tour de force of creativity for me and captured the them perfectly
  6. Blue Stars Le Tour is still one of my favorite shows - such an incredible brass book
  7. The ballad acapella brass moment in Bluecoats boxing show.  I miss THAT Bluecoats
  8. The electricity in the stands the entire night - and our LAST finals outdoors in a stadium where everyone sat together, not broken into 6 levels
  9. "The Yell" as the vast majority of the thousands in the stands yelled "I am Spartacus" with the corps, and then pure pandemonium where you could barely hear the corps close the show
  10. The most electrifying retreat of all time.  What a 30 seconds of pure chaos and cheers at the end.

Harvey

I also love defiant heart. Such a powerful,emotional, beautiful show with fantastic brass intonation.

I listen to it and say- "this is what a hornline should sound like". This could be my "one" show but I certainly never saw it live and I have only seen it on film 4-5 times so I can't answer that this show is "the one" definitively.

I can't list 10 reasons why this show is a contender... it's just an unexplainable feeling. This show is just love at first sight.

Also "liking" your post for finals 2008. My 2nd favorite year for DCI with a lot of great programs.

Edited by ThePlanets