2017 Coming Down the Home Stretch...let the speculation fly

2 hours ago, SNModdison said:

The judges do not agree communally what the scores will be, nor do they know what scores each judge will give each corps. 

While I don't necessarily think the judges get it wrong, I do believe there is a herd judging mentality in DCI. That's why a corps can beat another corps by 0.5 or less for many shows in a row.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

While I don't necessarily think the judges get it wrong, I do believe there is a herd judging mentality in DCI. That's why a corps can beat another corps by 0.5 or less for many shows in a row.

you do realize that dependong on the show, 5 to 11 people make up the panel, each on their own sheet....their number is their number, and with the averages and other mathematical insanity required to make a DCI recap, they can't worry about the overall placement of a corps. And as you read recaps, you can see corps all over the place in certain captions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you do realize that dependong on the show, 5 to 11 people make up the panel, each on their own sheet....their number is their number, and with the averages and other mathematical insanity required to make a DCI recap, they can't worry about the overall placement of a corps. And as you read recaps, you can see corps all over the place in certain captions.

Yes, I do realize that, but judges know how judges from previous nights scored performances. The brass judge knows that at the last show SCV got a 9.5 in achievement. They are going to score them around 9.5 regardless of performance.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, I do realize that, but judges know how judges from previous nights scored performances. The brass judge knows that at the last show SCV got a 9.5 in achievement. They are going to score them around 9.5 regardless of performance.

I believe you are correct here. Human nature, I suppose. Due to the complexities of math, I don't believe any overall placement can be purposely set beforehand. But, movements upward/downward are subject to some nudging, I'm certain.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeBD said:

Do you actually believe this? 

As I stated before do you want to wager?  Didn't you write somewhere recently that BD won't even medal?  It must really suck to be so bitter toward the devils.  I want you to name me one corp that does more dance moves or just body moves in general compared to the devils and the devils do them in unison.

I guess the devil hate is strong this week.

I do believe this.  BD simply does not march enough drill.  Out of time individual interpretation body movements, out of time scatter drill, everybody catching rifles on a different angle -> these are not laudable. Impossible to judge. Ineffective. I don't see what the judges do, and neither do the non-BD homers.

This will be the biggest judging travesty in DCI history, taking the top spot from 2015.

From the videos I have seen SCV still has not giving the performance needed to have the judges put them over BD; Devs really are performing that good.  It's clear from the recaps at Allentown and Buffalo that BD is not running away with it this year and that a great run from SCV, Blue, or Crown will be rewarded.  Three nights of head-to-head could be very unpredictable.  If Crown runs away with brass and music analysis and Cavies pop some big numbers in guard and percussion....Vanguard taking 2 or 3 GE captions (along with percussion) would be enough to take the gold.

On the other hand, if the performances are not consistent BD walks away with gold (or diamonds this year).

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

some do, some don't. and regardless if they know the number, they judge that days show. Look at some of the recaps from saturday to Sunday. some stuff went down.

kills that conspiracy theory

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

some do, some don't. and regardless if they know the number, they judge that days show. Look at some of the recaps from saturday to Sunday. some stuff went down.

kills that conspiracy theory

No really. We know the outcome already and no one has performed Saturday night. 1. BD, 2. SCV, 3. Crown, 4. Bloo, 5. Cavies, 6. BAC, 7. Cadets, 8. BK, 9. PR, 10. Stars, 11. Xmen, 12. Madison. Won't be much variation at all. Maybe two corps will flip spots, but that's it. 

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

Three nights of head-to-head could be very unpredictable.

Since 2008 when has it ever been unpredictable? You may see two corps flip spots (example Stars beat Regiment) but there isn't going to be much variation at all from current standings.