2017 Coming Down the Home Stretch...let the speculation fly

4 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, I do realize that, but judges know how judges from previous nights scored performances. The brass judge knows that at the last show SCV got a 9.5 in achievement. They are going to score them around 9.5 regardless of performance.

really. in talking to active working judges this year, they didnt know what anyone had going into the show unless they previously judged them.

and nor did they care, they cared about that nights performance

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

really. in talking to active working judges this year, they didnt know what anyone had going into the show unless they previously judged them.

and nor did they care, they cared about that nights performance

Yes, really. It's my opinion. BD has beaten SCV by 0.625 or less 7 times in a row. No one will ever convince me that BD was better every single night - not when scores are THAT close. Herd Judging!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bicsta said:

I do believe this.  BD simply does not march enough drill.  Out of time individual interpretation body movements, out of time scatter drill, everybody catching rifles on a different angle -> these are not laudable. Impossible to judge. Ineffective. I don't see what the judges do, and neither do the non-BD homers.

This will be the biggest judging travesty in DCI history, taking the top spot from 2015.

No the biggest travesty was in 2008 when BD didn't win.

For you to say they are out of time and then to slam the guard................all I can say is wow.  

I guess different strokes for different folks.  All the best.

Edited by MikeBD

3 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Since 2008 when has it ever been unpredictable? You may see two corps flip spots (example Stars beat Regiment) but there isn't going to be much variation at all from current standings.

Look at the recap from Buffalo, a couple judges had 3-4 slot differences between comp and performance numbers.  I have the feeling anything will be possible this week.

28 minutes ago, MikeBD said:

No the biggest travesty was in 2008 when BD didn't win.

For you to say they are out of time and then to slam the guard................all I can say is wow.  

I guess different strokes for different folks.  All the best.

Absolutely.

Here is what Michael Boo wrote on this forum about the design of Jay Murphy:

"Jay's work sometimes looks deceptively simple because he writes it that way and the corps performs to such a degree that they make it look easy. But it's not simple at all. How he worked the corps around 100 poles this past season is a perfect example of that. As for the velocity of his forms, sometimes you have to look at the feet to see what's really going on. 

I was at one time in the camp that thought his shows moved kind of slow. I have since come to realize that his shows don't move slowly at all...that he plays with different types of velocity in a way that is unique to him. I have been in awe many of the past few years. When I watched Fan Network and saw "Through a Glass, Darkly" for the first time, I practically had to pick myself up off the floor. "Cabaret Voltaire" did the same thing to me. Once I realized what was going on out on the field, I couldn't take my eyes off the pacing and development of the forms. 

Jay forces one to look beyond drill evolutions, because everything he writes is in the process of evolving to the next stage. That's perhaps why it's a challenge to say what's one's favorite BD drill moments, as he doesn't "do" particular moments as much as entire shows. A typical BD drill "moment" is somewhat over 11 minutes long."

Well said. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 2:19 AM, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Prepare yourself for the most predictable show on turf.  The judges know exactly where to put everyone.  The placements aren't dictated from on high, but rather agreed upon communally. The judges all know each other well and talk at shows.  There are no surprises in a season that happens this fast and with this many performances.  The judging community has critiqued itself probably more than the instructors have.  I bet every judge knows what every other judge is about to say to each corps and what scores those words will yield.

Which FloMarching broadcast was it that had Steve and Dennis do the intro from the field?  Dennis said it's a story of tightly grouped "pairs" of corps - SCV & BD, Bluecoats & Crown, Madison & Mandarins.  He already gave us a glimpse into the nature of seeding in DCI.  And let's not forget that Dennis was a WGI judge for years, so it's not like he doesn't get how numbers work.

It's not a conspiracy, but it is a truth.  The more consistent placements are through a season the more likely they will remain unchanged.  That's how tendencies work - they TEND to stay the same.  As long as nobody sets the dome on fire or kicks Dan Acheson's kitten in the face the status quo will sustain itself.  

So now that the competition isn't a thing any more, let's all enjoy the shows for what they are and be impressed by the performers for who they've become.  

Except for Colts jumping up a bit tonight and mixing Open with World Class, I rest my case.  Top 12 didn't budge a single placement.  

On 8/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, henry7184 said:

No really. We know the outcome already and no one has performed Saturday night. 1. BD, 2. SCV, 3. Crown, 4. Bloo, 5. Cavies, 6. BAC, 7. Cadets, 8. BK, 9. PR, 10. Stars, 11. Xmen, 12. Madison. Won't be much variation at all. Maybe two corps will flip spots, but that's it. 

Not one single placement off.

Edited by henry7184

Attended prelims yesterday. Great time and some really super corps. Congrats to all !

BD were absolutely fantastic and should take gold. I did see 2 people fast asleep during SCV. I know it's a long day but .....

Winners in 2017:

1. Peavey Electronics

2. Yamaha Electronics, Brass, Percussion

3. Field & Floor FX

4. FloMarching

5. FJM, Inc.

6. Stanbury

7. DeMoulin

8. SystemBlue

9. CrownDigital

10. Jupiter/Mapex

11. Kanstul