Boston Crusaders 2018

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree... it sucked that BAC had to ditch the instrument in order to compete.

DCA's Sunrisers were also a Shellmer line in 1969, and Sun also had a set of bells. But DCA to its credit allowed Sun to use the instrument all season, including at championships.

Five years later, everyone carried them. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Five years later, everyone carried them. 

Exactly.  Mr. Shellmer was ahead of the curve, no question. And I'm proud to say my old DCA team was quite an innovator at various times.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 2:08 AM, brassdude6171 said:

also, something i noticed about listening to recordings i have already from this show in addition to the bits and pieces of the closer presented in the fb live... boston's hornline is different than most in the sense that when they play loud sustains, their sound feels like it's pushing you. almost to the point of a never ending crescendo. that's a feeling i haven't gotten from many hornlines ever.

IMO, Gino is one of the best ever at maximizing a drum corps horn line's sound. He's done it everywhere he's been.... Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, BAC, and DCA's Buccaneers and Brigadiers. And whoever else I might have missed. LOL. 

His lines are not shy about putting some air into those instruments, without sacrificing quality.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

His lines are not shy about putting some air into those instruments, without sacrificing quality.

You start early during Winter camps and convince the brass line to practice the breathing drills between camps gains some more power. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree... it sucked that BAC had to ditch the instrument in order to compete.

DCA's Sunrisers were also a Shellmer line in 1969, and Sun also had a set of bells. But DCA to its credit allowed Sun to use the instrument all season, including at championships.

Agreed. Loved Shellmer's drum lines, esp 1970 "Ballad for Giraffes".

1970  BAC's " Ballad for Giraffes"

16 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, I was there earlier tonite in Castleton, Vermont for the Boston Crusaders exhibition. Boston performed their 1st, on the field, full show,  for this summer's season. They perfomed in donated Remo all black practice shorts and black t's.  The audience was a mix of Drum Corps fans that made the trip up there, as well as local community people unafiliated with the Corps. Good size crowd, and temps low 70's, and clear, sunny nite nite. Ron Lambert, Assistant Corps Director, spoke to the audience about the history of the Corps, a little bit about DCI, what hard work goes into putting a Corps like this onto the field of competition, and the like, and their upcoming schedule where the audience could future follow the Corps this summer. After this, the Front Ensemble played 3 pieces to warm up the audience, the Corps played 2 encore songs of Conquest and Beatles tune " I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends.   Then, as the Corps lined up in back for their full show exhibition, Ron Lambert explained a little bit about this Season's 2018 Theme to the audience. The theme is essentially about people getting lost at sea and arriving on a deserted island.  I will go no further in an explanation of the theme, as I believe over the next few days, the Corps itself with  explain the struggles, the conflicts, the obstacles, and perhaps a potential resolution to that island desolation.

As for the show itself, I will not reveal the constructs, visuals, props, and so forth. I will however state that the show resulted in a spontaneous and enthusiastic standing ovation at the end of the show by the mixed audience of Drum Corps fans and community residents.   Boston's 2018 show, imo, is engaging, emotional, intense, uplifting, entertaining, and performed by extraordinarily talented marchers in all sections that can't wait to get out there this season.

Some day I will meet you Brasso, and all. I too had the pleasure of joining many of my fellow Vermonters in Castleton with you the last night. My pen (fingers) went right to work: A Clarion Call from Castleton

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You start early during Winter camps and convince the brass line to practice the breathing drills between camps gains some more power. 

During rehearsals when they brass isn't playing, they do air valve playing, simulating what they will play but pushing air,  so they work on generating power.  At least that is what I think it is supposed to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

Some day I will meet you Brasso, and all. I too had the pleasure of joining many of my fellow Vermonters in Castleton with you the last night. My pen (fingers) went right to work: A Clarion Call from Castleton

Great synopsis of the evening Kevin. It was truly amazing , for this flatlander , to see how all these Vermonters filled the stadium and how they appreciated and were moved by the corps great performance. Castelton is a special place and this performance to these special people a tremendous benefit for these great kids. 

Edited by pbeau
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

IMO, Gino is one of the best ever at maximizing a drum corps horn line's sound. He's done it everywhere he's been.... Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, BAC, and DCA's Buccaneers and Brigadiers. And whoever else I might have missed. LOL. 

#BACthatwasloud

• Like 1