A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

4 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

As long as they bring something to the table other than "ur a troll dewd" or "i got half a million posts here i kno more than u", or "things aint changin u can't do nuffin", then that's fine.  Otherwise, they're beneath my contempt.  I really only have time to have discussions with the smart people on here.  The others will have to find someone else to bait".

i dont care about my post count, Stu does. I've brought a lot to the table you haven't been able to refute once except " you just dont understand"

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

All the supposed progress that's happened since the addition of electronics and amplification just took a big hit.  Crown's singer just had her mic fail in a big way.

live by the plug die by the plug

4 hours ago, bluesman said:

All the supposed progress that's happened since the addition of electronics and amplification just took a big hit.  Crown's singer just had her mic fail in a big way.

But not their scores . Crown had a major fail in their featured soloist earlier tonite ( vocalist, not a brass player ). It was not the soloists fault. But should it matter ? Crown had virtually no shift in their score from Semi's to Finals. But what if the soloist was not a singer. What if the soloist was a brass musician soloist and the solo was as poorly delivered to both judges and audiences alike ?. Fracks and mistakes galore in the solo ? Bad intonation, poor pitch.. ? Maybe a 2 minute solo at different intervals... also completely misplayed on the brass instrument., at both those intervals too. Would the judges be as forgiving ? Well, I guess they would. Otherwise, how does one explain that Crown was one of the few Corps at Finals that did not have much loss of points for a solo being as completely messed up in tone and pitch as it was on Finals Night ?  ( yes, an engineering snafu,, but should it matter ? ) The lesson here is.... I guess...  is that its FAR better to sing a solo than to play it on a brass instrument. Thats because its clear that if you completely mess up a brass instrument played solo the judges are FAR less forgiving than if you have a singer that completely malfunctions and mangles her solo at different stages of the show.. both times. ( again, thru no fault of her own.. but again, should it matter ? )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont care about my post count, Stu does.

I do give ya some razz every now and then about the post count 'cause I find the spread between you and the other posters funny.  Other than that it matters not.

9 hours ago, bluesman said:

So many drum corps fans including myself don't pay enough attention to what goes on after finals when changes are proposed and voted on.  The only shows I attended in 2004 were semi-finals and finals.  I was completely shocked when I saw an amplified pit and singers with microphones.  So to answer the question about whether there was more that could have been done to stop some of the unfortunate changes that we've seen over the last few years I would say paying attention and staying involved after finals is something more of us need to do.

Other than revenue from fans buying tickets and souvies, I venture to say that the power voting member corps directors really do not seem to care what fans think about them, their rules, and their sand box. DCI was created in 1972 by them, for them, and to be governed by them, for their own agenda. Thus it comes across that to them fans either buy tickets or they don't.

Edited by Stu

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Thats because its clear that if you completely mess up a brass instrument played solo the judges are FAR less forgiving than if you have a singer that completely malfunctions and mangles her solo at different stages of the show.. both times. ( again, thru no fault of her own.. but again, should it matter ? )

This Crown microphone incident will long be remembered. Awful situation to have, especially during Finals performance.  Yes, this MUST be remembered, analyzed, and adapted for.

Such failure COULD have been the result of an error by a non-performing staff member. Perhaps, someone who didn't check for a bad contact connection, affix the microphone correctly to the performer, correctly assess the indoor wireless environment, use a stable and secure frequency, or have an emergency back-up solution at the ready.  Because this electronic transmission was designed and executed by a non-performer, I'm pleased the incident didn't officially penalize the on-field, young adult performers.

Here's hoping the DCI Board gets together SOON to address this matter. Not in six months, one year, whatever.

• Like 1

Regardless of my vehement and everlasting hatred of electronics and amplifiers on the field, I don't think even the staunchest supporter of that crap can try to argue with the fact that DCI's own audio engineering department is failing on catastrophic levels during the live broadcasts.  The awards ceremony alone was some of the most incompetent audio I've ever heard in a PROFESSIONAL live broadcast.  The first ten minutes all you could hear was USMC (which I was actually fine with, best sound I've heard at a DCI venue in years), but then you couldn't hear them at all for the rest of the corps' entrances.  I don't think they ever patched into Crocker's mic, so all we heard was his voice echoing off the sideline seats.  We can talk about catastrophic failures of equipment on the field, but how about OFF the field as well?  The whole thing smacked of amateur hour.  More than ever, I miss PBS.  At least they delivered free AND competent broadcasts.

I don't know whether it's all own FLO, I don't know whether it's because all the engineers who used to work for DCI now work for individual corps, and I don't know if the DCI's thoughts were "Hey, the live broadcast is free to watch, if they want better quality they're gonna have to pay for that season pass".  I don't care whose fault it is, all I know is if that THIS is DCI's new standard for excellence, it's no wonder the corps all look and act like figure skaters today.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

.  Because this electronic transmission was designed and executed by a non-performer, I'm pleased the incident didn't officially penalize the on-field, young adult performers.

Here's hoping the DCI Board gets together SOON to address this matter. Not in six months, one year, whatever.

If score points are being awarded for the effective use of electronics in a show ( they are ), but points are not be deducted for a poor use of electronics in a show ( they are not in appears ) then yes, DCI has some SERIOUS issues that need to be addressed in the off season Rules Congress,.... as well as within the DCI Judging community itself regarding this.

Edited by BRASSO

What bothers me more is the lack of information about judging the new things. I mean, how are the electronics judged? What about when they are overbearing/too loud in a particular place, do the judges deduct for that? How do we know?

Same for voice, how is that judged, the quality of the voice, appropriateness of the sound/volume etc.

It just seems to me that in effect, we are moving from a place where we knew as fans how things were put on the sheets to now, where a large part of the show's judging is a complete mystery, and left unexplained. 

Why?

13 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Regardless of my vehement and everlasting hatred of electronics and amplifiers on the field, I don't think even the staunchest supporter of that crap can try to argue with the fact that DCI's own audio engineering department is failing on catastrophic levels during the live broadcasts.  The awards ceremony alone was some of the most incompetent audio I've ever heard in a PROFESSIONAL live broadcast.  The first ten minutes all you could hear was USMC (which I was actually fine with, best sound I've heard at a DCI venue in years), but then you couldn't hear them at all for the rest of the corps' entrances.  I don't think they ever patched into Crocker's mic, so all we heard was his voice echoing off the sideline seats.  We can talk about catastrophic failures of equipment on the field, but how about OFF the field as well?  The whole thing smacked of amateur hour.  More than ever, I miss PBS.  At least they delivered free AND competent broadcasts.

I don't know whether it's all own FLO, I don't know whether it's because all the engineers who used to work for DCI now work for individual corps, and I don't know if the DCI's thoughts were "Hey, the live broadcast is free to watch, if they want better quality they're gonna have to pay for that season pass".  I don't care whose fault it is, all I know is if that THIS is DCI's new standard for excellence, it's no wonder the corps all look and act like figure skaters today.

It was like that for Flo's BOA GN broadcast too. They clearly haven't figured out how to properly mic the announcer properly for broadcast.

"INNN44NN4444TH444THTHTHTHPLPLTHTHTHPLPLACEACEACE...."