A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

If you truly got where I'm coming from.......I don't think you'd be trying to change my opinion.

Honestly, Bobby, I am not trying to change your opinion. Just sharing my thoughts on how things are. The kind of change you are looking for is a physical and ideological change to the activity. The only way that happens is if people get involved and ultimately ascend to some level of power or authority in which they can push for change. As for how you feel about the activity, I would never say to you "change your mind." You have every right to view things this way, and frankly you are not alone.

There is no way for this activity to please everyone. Right now it probably pleases youth and progressives more than it does long-time veterans and conservative old-schoolers. I loved the activity in the late 70s (when I was first introduced) and all throughout the 80s. I don't expect it to return to those days or those styles, but who knows? Maybe things will cycle back...even just a little in the coming years. 

So I am not trying to change anyone's opinion. I simply point out that it's a young persons activity and ultimately they will have more say in the direction it goes than old timers will. 

10 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

4) Big picture: There will always be something new on the horizon because the older fans move on and eventually die, and the young take over and take control. Father time is evil, but those of us who are 50 or older have less time and much limited power in shaping this activity to our liking. Those in their 20s will one day rule the lay of the land, and it will be their activity whether you like it or not. 

Very good summation, sir!  I happen to be in the very old crowd. At least, I'm sure, in the eyes of today's performers.  The discussions elicited by Mr. Collins have been really good. I don't do the Facebooks, Reddits, and all the other trendy things. Hard to believe discussions of this depth are found in those places.

No matter how we react to the way this "game" is played today, feedback, good and bad, is important to the designers and performers. I think it was mentioned by Mr. Collins that key decision-makers in DCI really DO read DCP.  I can verify this from doing business with many in the past. As for performers, how could they possibly stay away. We all need to know someone out there is watching and caring. We're human. But robots are coming on fast!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well said.

Just to add . There are many over 50 who also recognize this and guide those young ones who will take over. This is how traditions can cross over, what's old can be new again, a sense of who we are, who we were and most important who and what we can become. This, imo is why we can even talk or debate an activity that for many reasons could have died off decades ago.

Very true.  I have faith in our youth. They are smart, eager, talented, and want great things. Ultimately I think they can tell when things go too far, and when a return to tradition can be good. But I also understand why they would want something new, fresh, something that is part of their culture and time. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Very true.  I have faith in our youth. They are smart, eager, talented, and want great things. Ultimately I think they can tell when things go too far, and when a return to tradition can be good. But I also understand why they would want something new, fresh, something that is part of their culture and time. 

There's no returning once the horse is out of the barn. Just as today's pop singers aren't going to be giving up autotune, corps aren't going to give up the electronic wizardy that enables them to shape the perfect (though artificial) sound. Of all the changes, the A&E is the most damaging. It's turned dci from a brass/drums activity, to an outdoor electronic music show.  I'd bet that 20 years from now DCI won't even have horn lines. Maybe a dozen stationary mic'd players somewhere and 150 singers/dancers.  I'm not kidding.

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Is that really your only input, Stu?  I was hoping you'd dissect my points and provide some insightful feedback.

Easy to discect your postings, your two favorite words are 'I' and 'me'. Hard to provide insightful input to the self-proclaimed expert of all things.

4 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Except that isn't what I did.  And deep down, I think you probably already know that. 

no thats exactly what you did. Godwins law at it's best

4 hours ago, denverjohn said:

Can we move this thread over to RAMD so Catherine can join in?

oh sure, EVERYONE  would like that

On 8/9/2017 at 5:15 PM, ouooga said:

I see a lot of people talk about "the old days" and "before we had electronics" and "g bugles" and "why are they dancing?" and "where's the drill" and "why is there a stage?" and so on. 

I'm personally a fan of the new stuff, but this isn't about me defending it. I want to ask the purists on here, was there more that could have been done with the old style(s)?

Go back to 1999, or 1989, or any year that you consider to be "the last year of real drum corps", and take that into the present and beyond. Was there more that could have been done within that box of rules? Ideas that weren't explored, music that got lost, drill that never saw the light of day, etc? Or would we have seen the same ideas perpetuated over and over forever? If the latter, is that the goal?

Just something that's been on my mind. I'm curious to hear the thoughts.

IMO if you change nothing nothing's going to change. I don't want it to be like when I marched.