Segmentation: How DCI Has Gotten More Complicated... And Less Difficult

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As regards the two sentences I have bolded, I would say: great! But then maybe they shouldn't be getting first place in visual analysis?

It all comes down to whether DCI sees a collection of rather loosely connected small ensemble moments as the pinnacle of max general effect. There is, imho, no doubt that it was necessary to shift to this direction if guard was to become a relevant part of show design...because they don't play an instrument. But again the law of unintended consequences strikes, when you take that philosophy and extend it to playing membership. 

2 hours ago, Everyfan said:

Yep. No melody in the Blue Devils show this year. Nope. None.

Shelve a pre-conceived agenda and read all posts, in context, before making snark remarks. Not only did the quote you reference acknowledge that there are musical moments in current shows, but twice in other posts BD was equated, by me, to those moments; as was music from Boston, Crossmen, etc... so the balled by BD, for example, was not slammed; at least not by me. I did state that most show designs since Y2K was for the ADD Instant Visual Gratification, but to say that I neglected to praise the 2017 BD balled is just not true.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It all comes down to whether DCI sees a collection of rather loosely connected small ensemble moments as the pinnacle of max general effect. There is, imho, no doubt that it was necessary to shift to this direction if guard was to become a relevant part of show design...because they don't play an instrument. But again the law of unintended consequences strikes, when you take that philosophy and extend it to playing membership. 

The only reason guard lost any of its relevance at all was that it stopped being a part of the corps proper (uniforms, rifle lines, etc.) and started pushing a lot of the visual stuff that was met with resistance then, but met with reckless acclaim now.  It was fine with fans then, because most of the dancing and rolling around on the ground was limited to the guard. But today the scales have tipped to such a ridiculous degree, EVERYONE is in the color guard now....some of them just happen to play horns and drums.  It's symptomatic of what happens when your staff has more choreographers and dance instructors than it has music educators with a background in writing/teaching drill.

And you know what?  WGI likes it that way just fine, thank you very much.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

It's symptomatic of what happens when your staff has more choreographers and dance instructors than it has music educators with a background in writing/teaching drill.

And you know what?  WGI likes it that way just fine, thank you very much.

We agree on something, wow, imagine that. By the way, WGI guards, their staff, and their members are also very comfortable performing to recorded music.

19 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Indoor guards are very comfortable performing to recorded music. Food for thought.

Never thought I would see th day when a trumpet player not only had to play the #### out of trumpet, but dance like a dufus to get a spot in a world class drum corps.

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Never thought I would see th day when a trumpet player not only had to play the #### out of trumpet, but dance like a dufus to get a spot in a world class drum corps.

Do I think it is out of hand, yep. But have you ever been to a live Tower of Power or a live Here Come the Mummies concert? Those horn players dance their behinds off!

Edited by Stu

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do I think it is out of hand, yep. But have you ever been to a live Tower of Power or a live Here Come the Mummies concert? Those horn players dance their behinds off!

Well, apples and walnuts, but yes, I see your point. Really, you are identifying the Bluecoats philosophy, in which movement TO the music is designed into the show, as opposed to musicians joining the guard.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

By the way, WGI guards, their staff, and their members are also very comfortable performing to recorded music.

This is why, even though I went to school in Dayton, after seeing just one WGI exhibition performance (20+ years ago during halftime of a UD basketball game; don't remember the group, but I do remember they used a recording of Chick Corea's "Spain"), I never followed WGI.

Also why it was ironic that David Byrne, upon seeing some WGI shows a few years ago, felt that what they needed was live music. Which he then arranged a special event for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Well, apples and walnuts, but yes, I see your point. Really, you are identifying the Bluecoats philosophy, in which movement TO the music is designed into the show, as opposed to musicians joining the guard.

I do think Bluecoats handle it well. But the ToP analogy is really not apples to walnuts in that both have brass and both have dancing brass. And have you watched Tower's brass while David does his drum breaks and solos? The ToP brass get-down y'all and boogie.