Segmentation: How DCI Has Gotten More Complicated... And Less Difficult

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Corps after corps, It's the musical equivalent of a teenager snorting cocaine off a hooker's backside for 12 minutes.

what? lmao

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

It is the only universal truth in the entire discourse.

If you're not playing and marching, you're no longer a drum corps.  You're background accompaniment for a dance team.

Funny I Heard drum corps wan't drum corps way back in 1972. I even remember the t shirt well...lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What's your definition of drum corps? 

I want drum corps to be what the kids on the field want it to be. I want them to have fun, I want them to feel like they're getting a chance to really be performers—not just dots on a grid.

Sure, I want the activity to hold on to its roots, too, and remain recognizable—but I can't think of a single major corps this year, or any other year, who've violated that. 

I see marching, I see playing, I see marching while playing. So I'm happy. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

...a teenager snorting cocaine off a hooker's backside...

I am an advocate for freedom of opinion, and this is the sand box of the DCP mods, so I do not report postings. But this is likely the the worst form of crass and vulgar expression concerning a youth oriented activity I have read in all my years in DCP.  While I may respect some of your postings concerning music and movement, my respect for you as a person is greatly diminished. I know you do not care, I know you will likely say that you have no respect for my opinion, but I would never post vulgarity concerning illicit drugs and prostitution in reference to this or any other youth activity. And unlike saxfreq I am not lmao, and I pray that you apologize quickly for this.

Edited by Stu

15 hours ago, Lance said:

i don't think the choreography they're doing is less difficult.  just a very different kind of difficulty. 

Exactly. 

8 hours ago, corps8294 said:

This! The Blue Devils have never been a high octane drill corps; that's just not their style. It never has been and probably never will be. Their's has always been music first and foremost. Stage the members effectively so as to fully maximize the impact of the performer's musical talent. 

Agreed people were bagging on BDs drill 30 years ago

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

It all comes down to what the kids want most, both mm and fans, and what the corps want most. It may well be that we are in an era in which people want jazz hands over Machine and Angels and Demons. Which is cool, if that's what the kids want to watch.

If the kids didn't like it they wouldn't be trying out 

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Whatever. If you have something to add to our discussion, add it. Don't be that guy.

He's right tho

24 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Funny I Heard drum corps wan't drum corps way back in 1972. I even remember the t shirt well...lol

Yeah, you've been saying that for the last 1,100 posts you've made on here.  That's literally your one note.  Could you possibly try to bring something new to the table?  

We're not talking about 1972, we're talking about the here and now, and the future (or lack thereof) of this activity.

21 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I want drum corps to be what the kids on the field want it to be. I want them to have fun, I want them to feel like they're getting a chance to really be performers—not just dots on a grid.

Are you saying the corps from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s weren't performers?  I don't think you probably are, but I just want to be crystal clear. 

26 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Sure, I want the activity to hold on to its roots, too, and remain recognizable—but I can't think of a single major corps this year, or any other year, who've violated that. 

That's where we're going to have to agree to disagree.  EVERY corps has lost its way.  Even the holdouts.  You can't roll around on the field in leotards riding your tuba like a horse while a synthesizer is blaring your part out of speakers and try to claim that the activity is holding on to its roots or is recognizable.

30 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I see marching, I see playing, I see marching while playing. So I'm happy. 

So because you're happy, the thousands of other vets and fans who are not happy should just shut up and stop complaining?

At some point the dinosaurs and the snowflakes are going to have to come to some sort of compromise.  I'm not advocating for a total removal of electronics, amplification, dancing, and pajamas (don't get me wrong, I WANT all that crap to jump off a bridge, drown in the murky depths,  and burn in a lake of fire for all eternity, but I know that's not going to happen, because Pandora's Box cannot be closed).  I'm advocating for a little freaking restraint from directors and design teams.  Even the man who pushed for all that crap for so many years is beginning to have second thought about it.  THAT'S how out of hand it is.  It doesn't matter IF or HOW MUCH corps are playing and marching when all you can see or hear is 7 different Japanese TV channels at the same time on the field.  More and more, it feels like that's why it's that way, so they don't have to teach corps how to play and march.....much easier to teach them to stretch out on the turf and stare at their hands.

41 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I want drum corps to be what the kids on the field want it to be.

By and large, kids want what the adults guiding them want.  And right now, the adults guiding them want whatever George Hopkins tells them they want.  So HOPEFULLY, now that he's admitted that it's out of hand, the adults guiding the kids will also magically decide that it's out of hand, and stop cramming drama school down the kids' throats, and get back to doing what drum corps are supposed to do.

OR, stop calling it drum corps and do whatever the hell they want to do.  If they would quit misrepresenting it, and call it instead what it actually is, then we dinos wouldn't have a dog in the race, and we could all go our separate ways in peace.  But until that happens, this debate is going to continue, whether lovers of thunderous goo, spandex and plies' like it or not.  

So you can continue to praise the direction of the modern activity, and I will continue to deride it until the sun explodes.

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am an advocate for freedom of opinion, and this is the sand box of the DCP mods, so I do not report postings. But this is likely the the worst form of crass and vulgar expression concerning a youth oriented activity I have read in all my years in DCP.  While I may respect some of your postings concerning music and movement, my respect for you as a person is greatly diminished. I know you do not care, I know you will likely say that you have no respect for my opinion, but I would never post vulgarity concerning illicit drugs and prostitution in reference to this or any other youth activity. And unlike saxfreq I am not lmao, and I pray that you apologize quickly for this.

Please, don't even try.  Your "respect for me as a person" died the moment I called you out for being a forum troll on day one, and everyone involved in this discussion here knows it, so don't even try to play that card.  You're not offended, you're just trying to flame and bait with any opportunity that presents itself, and I already told you that's not going to happen.  The only thing wrong with my analogy is how sadly accurate it is.  Apologize?  No chance.  The only thing I'm sorry for is that people like you have a toehold in the zeitgeist of this activity.  For if not, then this entire thread wouldn't be necessary, or even exist.

Now, welcome to ignore. 

Edited by Bobby L. Collins
added ignorance to ignore list
  • Like 1