Segmentation: How DCI Has Gotten More Complicated... And Less Difficult

4 minutes ago, jsd said:

I think this all comes down to the old "art reflects culture" discussion. 

Generally speaking, so much of what exists as entertainment in our world today is short on depth. Consequently, the world of DCI has followed suit. It has to to stay relevant as an artistic medium.

But I agree with all the folks that are concerned about where the activity is right now. 

been hearing this since 1972 and with just as much  passion. Just sayin

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

You can be deep as an individual, deep as a small ensemble, and deep as a full ensemble. It all depends on what is best for the activity long term.

When I was in high school and college, winter guard didn't exist. Heck, guard didn't exist! We had majorettes and flag girls. The activity has changed dramatically, into something very different. 

I always try to embrace change. I think it is inevitable, and people who resist change are destined to be trampled by it.

So it's not about whether we accept change, but what sort of change we want to embrace. 

Todays shows are bigger, more complex, more challenging, and more expensive to produce than anything I could have imagined as a kid. They are, I would suggest, deeper from a messaging standpoint. Certainly deeper from a musical standpoint.

Right now it feels as if we are experiencing the law of unintended consequences. Individualism in the hands of the most talented, most experienced, and most proficient drum corps gets you Metamorph...but something much more gaudy and disjointed with most other corps. If you are directing the activity, the rules of engagement need to be designed for all corps to succeed artistically. You don't measure success in this area by simply looking at outcomes. IOW, you can't say we need parameters that would allow Pioneer to medal just as easily as Carolina Crown.

But, I would suggest, you do try to look into the future and say, is where we are going likely to end well for the activity at large? If individualism continues to expand, will we see more expensive shows that are worse musically? Will we see all corps identities disappear? I love Scouts and Cavaliers, but if I never see another show like those two it will be too soon.

Marshall McLuhan: "The medium is the message"

Another factor that we should consider is the how the show is presented to the spectator and where and how the spectator is receiving these performances. We have progressed from parents, friends, and affiliates sitting in high school stadiums primarily with a professional stadium for a state or national championship 40's, 50's, 60'. (The Dream in Jersey City presented on a baseball diamond turned sideways). The view was from seats far away from the individual performers which earned lots of effect for mass uniformity in effect both musically and visually.

Fast forward to early PBS shows and close-up camera work. Start the individual staging and emotional response: "Mean Gene, the dancing machine", more guard costuming, small prop elements, facial emoting. Heart-tugging behind the scenes stories, etc. Show story lines and personal heart-wrenching individual story lines.

This year: What percentage of the DCI viewing audience is watching the show in a seat on the 50, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s, 0s, end zones or even the backfield as was occasionally the case historically?

The cinecasts and online presentations have moved the listeners and viewers to a multi-cam, multi-audio place for receiving the presentations.

The location(s) of the various judges over the years has also altered the product on the field. How often do field judges move from the front sideline arc in order to sample audio & visual from multiple areas of the field. Those exposed fronts, blocks, and circles are not quite as dangerous if designed quickly in areas of the field where the judges are not.

Complaints here about FloMarching camera shots tend to illustrate how this wonderful technology can both enhance our experience or manipulate what we see and hear or even IF we see and hear it. Commission vs. Omission. (It took me several Go-Pro viewings to evaluate how much or how little some featured performers were participating last year.)

While there are always die-hards that will sit front row center live for a variety of reasons (Parent watching Buffy, pit alumnus who just watches mallets, face peel enthusiast compensating with Earasers), there has been much discussion about the negative impacts of this area due to low-end synth. I am just guessing but I suspect that might influence future ticket buyers preferences for next year.

Edited by denverjohn
  • Like 1

How ironic would it be if "The Wink" actually personifies every single aspect of what is being discussed here?!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

How ironic would it be if "The Wink" actually personifies every single aspect of what is being discussed here?!

Bah, don't get me started.  I don't think I have the strength today :P

Just a word of support for this discussion - some captivating insights, mutual consideration, and reasoned discussion.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

In reference to Blue Devils 2017 and Flight of the Bumblebee I feel this may not be the best example. How many drum corps can even play this music? No matter how good a corps is I doubt any drum corps can play it and still march intricate drill. I think Blue Devils had to make a choice. You are either going to clean drill or the music, but not both. And in a case like this the music should come first. BD clearly places their emphasis on music in this section of the show. They do a small bit of marching to it (as you mentioned). To me BD has staged this section of their show exactly as it needs to be. Also, if you look at most of the tough horn books over the years, when there are really crazy passages the brass line usually comes to a halt. Crown's most demanding "runs" this year are played while not marching. I have no problem with that. Some things just cannot be played and marched to (if you want to clean), so some body movement and staging is perhaps the better option. 

As regards the two sentences I have bolded, I would say: great! But then maybe they shouldn't be getting first place in visual analysis?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I always try to embrace change. I think it is inevitable, and people who resist change are destined to be trampled by it.

So it's not about whether we accept change, but what sort of change we want to embrace.

Yes. Individual decisions can affect the direction of change. Change doesn't happen on its own.

1 hour ago, Everyfan said:

This is a whole lotta text just to say "I'm mad that BD is going to win again." Haters gotta hate.

I strongly recommend reading some more of hostrauser's posts. By no means does he hate the Blue Devils. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

This is the "great crossroads" ahead. What best to do with all the bodies out there!

I believe it's time to put the term "Marching" at the back of the shelf. Replace this simply with "Movement."  In the end, it's about achieving perfection, presenting in sync, executing without flaw.  We can determine relative success whether doing an extended Company Front, Jazz Running, and Body Movement. The challenge is all the same.

Well, that one point at the heart of this discussion. Marching is the kind of movement that best allows a performer to play and move at the same time.