2018 Blue Stars

Just now, BoyWonder1911 said:

The mellos need to chill out and figure out how to get volume without buzzing. The buzzing is terrible but that will come with rehearsal.

I think that is probably attributable to the quality of the recording. A cell phone video from the stands really dimishes the sound.

• Thanks 1

i have watched this show now several times, i don't know what it is, but there is something  very mesmerizing about this show., cant put my finger on it, but it makes you want to watch more...leaves you wanting to hear it again and wanting more and more...to keep going

Edited by brians
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, brians said:

i have watched this show now several times, i don't know what it is, but there is something  very mesmerizing about this show., cant put my finger on it, but it makes you want to watch more...leaves you wanting to hear it again and wanting more and more...to keep going

Agreed!

6 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

It does sound monotonous. There really doesn't seem to be much variation. No anticipation. No building up into a crescendo and then impact set. It's all just...there in your face. 

Sorry I have so much criticism in this post. The criticism is directed towards design and not performance. 

Thank you - you have validated my initial reaction to the show -- I have a PhD in judging books by their cover -- 

We'll find out tonight, but like I said about a month ago - sounds like another ersatz BD show to me!

Ted 

39 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Thank you - you have validated my initial reaction to the show -- I have a PhD in judging books by their cover -- 

We'll find out tonight, but like I said about a month ago - sounds like another ersatz BD show to me!

Ted 

I can't tell if you were being rudely sarcastic in reaction to my supposedly rude posting, or if you're being serious. 

I have a disclaimer in my quote section that should qualm any triggers regarding my opinion. 

Hoping for the best for tonight and this season.

FCO

I've never considered the Blue Stars as doing watered down Blue Devil concepts. At least the BStars march and play most of the time.

And about not having their own style. That's a load of bs. The Blue Stars shows for the last 10 years have been built around the guard. And difficult guard stuff, too. Michael likes to really challenge the guard and makes them struggle with trying to achieve difficult stuff, come what may. This is what I love to see. Bite off more than you can chew, and chew it anyway. This is education first and foremost. 

I never have any problems with the concepts the Stars put out. Concepts are great it's the execution of the concept that's the problem most years. 

I think next year they should employ Michael Shapiro not to just write the guard, but create the whole visual package as well. Drill and all. Give him complete control over the entire program and I bet the corps will jump. 

But I think in any case the guard is always what carries this corps. Maybe the Blue Devils are the same in this regard but that does not mean they are doing watered down Blue Devil concepts.