Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Thanks buddy.

no problem. i've said many of the same things on here. the "beauty" of this activity is too often people cant put loyalty aside or love of a team to look objectively at said team. I had that same issue when i taught until i started judging. lost out on a gold by .025 in Dayton was bummed, but i got why it happened. In fact, when i see people advocating for double panels because they think it cures all, i continuously pull that recap up to tell people be careful what you wish for.

I do see in indoor more of a willingness to go there and make that call, take that stand than I do in DCI in certain captions. i think we may be referring to the same folks in the long run

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh i put my score down...and no one else will influence. however the one time someone tried, circuit admin was made aware.

That's right man.  It get's stressful.  But you do what you gotta do.

It's really interesting when you have no idea where any of the other captions are at... and you really have to rely on your experience.  Man--it truly makes things interesting does it not?

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when i see people advocating for double panels because they think it cures all, i continuously pull that recap up to tell people be careful what you wish for

Withholding laughter here man....

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Stu,

it is human nature at some point where we all become set in our ways and our likes and dislikes. I was actually there when A&E first passed. However, as I got more involved on the indoor side of things, i opened my eyes to see the possibilities and appreciate the attempts at creativity, especially as i began to judge effect more often. However, even in my local circuit, i hear some folks bemoan todays shows and they dont want to judge it, complaining about rules the units passed ( we're there for them, not the other way around)...and i'm sure this surprises you not one iota.but i've told a few of them if they cant be open and honest about what they see, get the #### out. I do it to help kids grow, help staffs grow and maybe pick up a few bucks to pay for vacation. I've driven to Morgantown WV to judge two drumlines....and didnt ##### much ( and really my only ##### was i had to drive alone), I did it because that was my assignment. yet when i hear people ##### about having to drive an hour to judge, I know they need to go. 

the activity lost a generation of potential judges to help force them out. the 90's generation in many ways hasn't stepped up. Sure, a bunch are teaching, but for a plethora of reasons, the pool dried up of people with skin in the game about 1992ish until the last 5/6 years. 

I agree with you 100%, and on a local level I agree with DeusEx 100%.  But for the life of me cannot find any score or ranking within the ranks of the 'current' DCI judges which has shown corps being rewarded based on their own archaic likes and not on the current sheets and current artistic progression.  And since this is a DCI WC forum, that is the context in which the retirement aspect and new blood aspect should be placed; not the local, regional, and national band circuits.

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

That's right man.  It get's stressful.  But you do what you gotta do.

It's really interesting when you have no idea where any of the other captions are at... and you really have to rely on your experience.  Man--it truly makes things interesting does it not?

honestly, i don't care where the other captions are at. Even judged championship shows with my wife, and not once the entire show did we discuss numbers until after the show was over. Only time i did during a non championships show was her very first show....she threw out a huge number ( deserved too) but being the rookie, we had to tease her.

• Like 1

Just now, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Withholding laughter here man....

preach brother

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I agree with you 100%, and on a local level I agree with DeusEx 100%.  But for the life of me cannot find any score or ranking within the ranks of the 'current' DCI judges which has shown corps being rewarded based on their own archaic likes and not on the current sheets and current artistic progression.  And since this is a DCI WC forum, that is the context in which the retirement aspect and new blood aspect should be placed; not the local, regional, and national band circuits.

oh you can see it. you just have to know the sheets to really know where to look. 

Just now, Stu said:

I agree; you are Grandpa DCP! :bleah:

can i ask the mods to get you off my lawn then?

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

oh you can see it. you just have to know the sheets to really know where to look. 

Ok, I know the sheets; and if you can see it (archaic design being rewarded over BD, SCV, Crown, Boston type newer design) please cite the examples.