Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ok; then how can you conclude that 'many' are out of touch with new designs and should retire?

Easily.  I read the sheets.  See the scores. Conclude that they don't agree.  It's connotative logic.  Not deductive, but connotative. 

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Stu, just let it rest. The guy has been gracious to share his insights as a judge and as a former gold medalist. He's not going to say anything that would out people. He's just offering his insights.

I agree he is offering insights, and I have said that I appreciate that.  But he has also stated that many current, ie older, judges in DCI, BOA, WGI etc... that I personally know are out of touch with new designs and should retire.  All I am seeking is cited scoring and ranking examples of that contention, not names, just cited examples of why these judges should be forced into retirement by a younger set.  Especially when there is no data whatsoever from DCI scoring that can support that premise.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

I agree he is offering insights, and I have said that I appreciate that.  But he has also stated that many current, ie older, judges in DCI, BOA, WGI etc... that I personally know are out of touch with new designs and should retire.  All I am seeking is cited scoring and ranking examples of that contention, not names, just cited examples of why these judges should be forced into retirement by a younger set.  Especially when there is no data whatsoever from DCI scoring that can support that premise.

You've sufficiently made your point. Brow beating him isn't going to change his views, or yours.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2017 at 0:07 AM, MikeRapp said:

No worries.

What did you play in Frameworks? Just curious. 

Mike--wasn't in Frameworks.  Saw Frameworks and auditioned and made the cut. Marched several years.

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina
  • Like 1

Just now, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Easily.  I read the sheets.  See the scores. Conclude that they don't agree.  It's connotative logic.  Not deductive, but connotative. 

BD, SCV, Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, all produced some of the most radical designs to date; they all were rewarded by all of the current DCI judges according to the current sheets; where in the world are the examples showing that archaic designs are being rewarded by archaic judges that should retire?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's inappropriate and unprofessional to call names on a public forum. I almost regret signing up for this in the past several hours.  This meant to be a breath of fresh air kind of post, not calling anybody out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am questioning the premise that many of the DCI 'judges' are out of touch and should retire, not the staff.  All I need is cited examples; nothing more.  You changed my opinion on the Cadets show by citing an example; he can change my opinion by citing real examples of DCI adjudicating that is archaic and in need of retirement.

Stu,

it is human nature at some point where we all become set in our ways and our likes and dislikes. I was actually there when A&E first passed. However, as I got more involved on the indoor side of things, i opened my eyes to see the possibilities and appreciate the attempts at creativity, especially as i began to judge effect more often. However, even in my local circuit, i hear some folks bemoan todays shows and they dont want to judge it, complaining about rules the units passed ( we're there for them, not the other way around)...and i'm sure this surprises you not one iota.but i've told a few of them if they cant be open and honest about what they see, get the #### out. I do it to help kids grow, help staffs grow and maybe pick up a few bucks to pay for vacation. I've driven to Morgantown WV to judge two drumlines....and didnt ##### much ( and really my only ##### was i had to drive alone), I did it because that was my assignment. yet when i hear people ##### about having to drive an hour to judge, I know they need to go. 

the activity lost a generation of potential judges to help force them out. the 90's generation in many ways hasn't stepped up. Sure, a bunch are teaching, but for a plethora of reasons, the pool dried up of people with skin in the game about 1992ish until the last 5/6 years. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Who's administration?  There's no where else to go but the Chief Judge.  You have minutes to put down your score buddy.  Figure it out.

oh i put my score down...and no one else will influence. however the one time someone tried, circuit admin was made aware.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

It's inappropriate and unprofessional to call names on a public forum. I almost regret signing up for this in the past several hours.  This meant to be a breath of fresh air kind of post, not calling anybody out.

don't let him represent DCP to you

• Like 3