Sign the Petition

19 hours ago, MikeD said:

Agree, a felony is a specific category of offense, regardless of the sentence.

I would guess that someone who has to register as an offender would have been convicted of a felony level offense. Are there corps in this day and age that do not perform background checks on their staff members? I would guess in the past there were lots of things that happened that would not happen today. It was a pretty open and unregulated activity going way back in time.

find the thread on reddit. it breaks it down pretty well

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

This thread is a can of gas.  I'm here with a fire extinguisher 

uh.. huh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Quite the contrary... as a matter of fact, a simple PM to the mods here will help you understand that I was not in favor of this thread topic being posted on here as a matter of fact, and asked that it be removed. Once the decisiin was made however to allow the thread topic, I agreed with that decision, as tough as it might have been for DCP mods.  My comments here are far from " encouraging flame throwing ".. its a complete mischaracterization here on my remarks on here. Totally. But you are entitled to your opinions  as well.

Fascinating.  I did the same thing.  You and I aren't far apart, trust me.  I'm shocked to be a little less-hardlined than you on this, but maybe I shouldn't be.

Well, your encouragement of demands for recognition by an accuser to express, what, exactly?  That DCI does more?  Does he, do you, even know how all of this works as an association of independent organizations?

See this is the problem.  What, exactly, is being objected to that justifies using an ounce of the very important energy of DCI staff and executives addressing a non-existent problem, the potential for which is addressed by the boards of directors of the individual corps, WHERE THE KIDS ARE!

It's a fraternal organization, not a governing body.  The power and liability lies in the corps' Boards of Directors, not at DCI offices in Indy.

But it's easy to throw a nameless can of gas in a crowd and demand change for allowing fans with gas cans inside.

This is the practiced way of agitators.  We need to be smarter than them or they will tear this activity apart at the seams.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Exactly. Good luck with that. LOL

A question I don't have the answer to... perhaps someone here does, and forgive me if this has been asked and answered, I haven't had time to read this whole thread...

If... and I mean IF... NOT accusing any corps of anything here, so this is a hypothetical wrapped up in a theoretical... a given corps is found to have a registered sex offender on its staff, can DCI (by that, I mean the front office) step in and take any action to have that staff member removed?  I guess by "take action" I mean... does the front office have the legal means/right to do so? Or can they act solely on moral grounds?  And yes, I know "moral grounds"  can be open to interpretation, and might open an entirely new can of worms.

Fran, can you explain please what you mean by "front office"?  Are you referring to DCI or the corps' BoD?

39 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

As someone who had a brush with a sex offender as a nine year old, and I was sexually harassed by my former boss in my early twenties, I don’t care what drum corps it is.  I signed the petition because the very thought of it makes me sick.  

This petition requests that DCI  take some pro active, extraordinary measures, if its not already doing do, to go the extra mile in overseeing its member Corps re.  convicted sex offenders. Seems a pretty harmless petition to me. Good grief, if the petition was to disallow ( say ) trombones in DCI Drum Corps or some such, one would be hard pressed to see such " flame throwing " regarding the petition and petitiioners and/ or petition signators on here. Amazing,...  ps..and by the way, so sorry to learn of your personal experiences Terri with a sex offender as a child and sexual harrassment with a boss in your former employment.

Edited by BRASSO

This entire topic is very disturbing to say the least...

13 hours ago, Stu said:

You're right. It is Colonel Sherman T. Potter!

horse hockey!!

mule fritters

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, garfield said:

It's a fraternal organization, not a governing body.  The power and liability lies in the corps' Boards of Directors, not at DCI offices in Indy.

How many lawyers do you think that I can find that might disagree with you about this ?. The notion that DCI could be automatically held blameless should there be a repeat sex offense from one of its member Corps hires is by no means an open and shut case. Not a day goes by in any state in the Country when a organization.. even a "Fraternal one.. believes it has no legal responsibilities to the crimes committed by one of its members... and sometimes then finds out in court that its on the losing end of that false belief that they had for themselves. A most costly wrong belief for them to have too. This petition is a GOOD thing, imo.. If DCI is already legally protecting themselves, fine. If they need to do more.. apart from what its member Corps are doing to limit trouble, then fine as well. The Petition drive seems a win-win to me. Whats the big downside ? So far, I don't see any... and havn't seen any major ones put forth from the petition detractors to this petition either. That said, I'm certainly open to listening to the Petition detractors to learn what terrible, awful things could occur from this petition... even if the petition, in your view, is misguided. So what ? You've got no skin in the game. Do you ? its not your time and energy with this petition, so why are you apparently getting so worked up with it ?

Edited by BRASSO