The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh my.  Nothing on the internet ever really goes away.  

Correct. That's a common statement on sports radio talk shows. IIRC, it was discussed on one of these shows with Mark Cuban, who said he uses several special readily available apps to eliminate posts on certain sites after so much time so they can't be used against him like that years later- or at least diminish the chance of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Good catch, although it could mean any number of things, including just that their lawyers want time to interview everyone and don't want a statement denying something they haven't checked yet.

if anything they may have known of the myriad of rumors swirling, but didn't know exact details. better to be safe and not jump to conclusions until you have actual useful information.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

I read them for my own edification. Dear God, Sweet baby Jesus. And I thought my job was bad and it can be. At least I have the Teamsters, 5 weeks of Vacation, and get 5 days of personal time off a year when I want it as long as its not between Black Friday and New year's Eve.

I wouldn’t last three hours in that office before I told a certain someone to go f himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I would imagine that if DCI believes that YEA Board did not follow established DCI protocol to notify DCI HQ promptly when it got notification from an outside lawfirm representing sexual assault victims of abuses, that it would be within its legal authority to suspend the Cadets from show performances until such time as the Cadets replaces its current BOD with another. Should they ? it all depends, I suppose. Its too early to make that judgement as this story just broke yesterday in the national media. Once lawyers and investigatory news outlets are contacting DCI HQ about what they knew and when, it becomes now a DCI issue as well, not just a YEA/ Cadets issue.

Brasso, my friend, where in the world did you get these protocols?  I think you should read DCI's statement again.  DCI has no power what-so-ever to suspend Cadets until it replaces its BoD!

You keep wanting DCI to be at the center of this, and they simply aren't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drummergirl said:

So many thoughts and things I want to say but haven’t truly processed it all yet. I knew this story was coming out. 

I will say this though. I think the YEA organization and USBands is finished. I do think the Cadets will remain standing. 

USBands has kept the Cadets alive. They'll find a way to keep that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Last year, Jeff Ream posted a link to a USA Today story about how instructors fired or even convicted for sexual misdeeds often continue to work by moving to other states. Jeff observed that one of the people mentioned in the article was employed by Cadets.

George Hopkins, whose DCP screen name is YEAguy, responded here. He said he and YEA's attorney were aware of this history.

That incident probably bears revisiting in light of yesterday's news.

thought about bringing that up. Chose not to spend 4 hours searching for it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

The obvious next question if a suspension occurs is what happens to all of the competitions hosted by YEA/Cadets?

I suppose thats a good question, with no immediate answers but mere speculation. I think the best thing to do now is not to get sahead of ourselves, as this story just broke 24 hours ago in the national media. They'll be lots of new info to come out over the following days/ weeks/ months. So its too premature to know the repercussions at this point, imo.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thank you for finding those deleted posts by Hopkins and Atchison. (Did you save them at the time, or are they on the Wayback Machine?)

I grabbed them. The topic historically got deleted so frequently that I thought it would be worth saving.

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I know DCA is a much smaller and looser organization than DCI, but they probably should make some statement as well, particularly given the younger membership age of Cadets2, and I don't see one yet.

yes. said it earlier. I know some corps have serious written policies ( many more may, i just don't know and didnt ask).

DCA also doesnt have a full time office. The admin team all have day jobs, so they may have other things that are a real world priority right now. Not defending te silence, but I understand their business is run far differently than DCI

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wouldn’t last three hours in that office before I told a certain someone to go f himself. 

If I took over, I know for certain I'd be driving these points home that were developed by Deming:

6: Institute training on the job.

7: Adopt and institute leadership.

8: (This one may be the most essential of all of Deming's 14 points in this case) Drive out fear.

9: Break down barriers between staff areas.

10: Eliminate slogans, exhortations and targets for the workforce.

13: Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement for everyone.

14: Put everybody in the company to work accomplishing the transformation.

Right now, YEA appears to have failed in 6 of Deming's 14 points. My Industrial Engineer Dad would be cringing.

• Thanks 1