The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Hubris is a beatch. More lessons about this:  Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  There are way too many wimps out there unwilling to make waves, just going along with the strong personality.  Societal norms are messed up. The "sexual revolution" of the 60s and 70s was largely a disaster. Baby boomers are a shameful lot (I'm a baby boomer so I know of what I speak). And, this mess may very well get worse (across other corps) before it gets better. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO....the board has been enablers for a great many issues within the organization. constant staff turnover at the office...the Glassdoor reviews are brutal...stuff you see kids talking about on Reddit...hell stuff Hop himself has posted about people leaving and a myriad of other issues. They rubber stamped it all. Constant fiscal crisis...the list could go on.

People are talking about the board well it could go a lot further than that, Long time staff there. What did they know and when? You can bet it can be way bigger than the cadets. If many and I mean many outsiders, especially some that are lighting the torches think they are isolated, think again. I have had a few conversations in the past 24 hours with past staffers and presented this question.\, needless to say they clammed up quick. 

YES, there is a  need to get to the bottom of this and all parties should and need to be heard.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Hubris is a beatch. More lessons about this:  Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  There are way too many wimps out there unwilling to make waves, just going along with the strong personality.  Societal norms are messed up. The "sexual revolution" of the 60s and 70s was largely a disaster. Baby boomers are a shameful lot (I'm a baby boomer so I know of what I speak). And, this mess may very well get worse (across other corps) before it gets better. 

The good thing is, people are no longer taking this from those in power.  This #MeToo movement is serious, and rightfully so. It's about time that this stuff stops. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

. As the Inquirer article notes:

"Saying that it was previously unaware of the allegations against Hopkins, DCI also said it would "conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them." 

So the Philly Inquirer is reporting yesterday that  someone at DCI HQ told the Inquirer that DCI was unaware of the allegations by the 9 victims spanning decades. If true, thats a systemic breakdown, as YEA needed to inform DCI of its internal, on going " vigorous " internal investigation  that it says it was conducting for months before the story broke in the media.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

Think about other corps that had long term staff quietly disappear. It’s ironic that a number of corps are quickly publishing their safeguarding policies- as if to say, "This would never happen to us"-- except it probably has!!

Yes, but most corps have more leadership turnover. Usually we talk about turnover here as something disadvantageous to corps, but it may make it less likely that a past offender is currently working at a given organization.

2 hours ago, Gantang said:

No one in their right mind would take over Hopkins's role (or the role of anyone with such total control in any organization ) with YEA without having a complete financial audit completed by an independent CPA firm. It sounds like the YEA Board was a rubber stamp and protector for Hopkins, and if he was corrupt regarding his kids, he may be corrupt in other areas, too. I AM NOT ACCUSING FINANCIAL MISDEEDS... I'm just lending advice.

And the auditors should be on the lookout for business fees related to setting up corporations in Delaware?

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, but most corps have more leadership turnover. Usually we talk about turnover here as something disadvantageous to corps, but it may make it less likely that a past offender is currently working at a given organization.

think so? just askin

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Breaking...

https://www.yamaha.com/marchingmusic/cadets/2018/yamaha-stands-with-the-cadets

YAMAHA STANDS WITH THE CADETS, VOWS SUPPORT DURING TRANSITION

--"...sending reps to this weekend's camp with support..."

(Fake News.  Fake link. A parody.  I made it all up because I am Schultz.  But you have to admit, it would be...)

A Great Headline In a Show of Support and Unanimity Behind the Marching Members!

I'm just not buying that it's a fait-accompli that support is going to bail.  And, if the accused is gone, and there are lots of supervision, transparency, and open dialog along with a fabulous distractingly-productive camp, this could just as easily turn out to be the cathartic cleansing that leads to much greater things, if the kids who DO show up do stay and do show that there are new leaders and better things coming - without the fear.

Looks like that Yamaha press release is gone.

I urge any and all victims in the entire drum corps community to stand up and be heard. This abuse has to be permanently extricated from our ranks. The overwhelming majority of people support you wholeheartedly. Now is the time! Hopkins was not the only predator. There are others. Their predation must be exposed!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GlenI said:

A quote from the DCI statement:

”DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.”

The use of the word “specific” really concerns me. Is DCI on the hook as well? I’m heartbroken, just heartbroken. My thoughts and well wishes go out to everyone harmed by all of this. 

Good catch, although it could mean any number of things, including just that their lawyers want time to interview everyone and don't want a statement denying something they haven't checked yet.