Cedarburg, WI - July 3, 2018

It is getting downright hateful on that thread.  Sal S. involved in the corps in 79 when he invited me to a rehearsal.

• Like 1

Hello all! It was a perfect night for drum corps in Cedarburg. I met a gentleman who marched Spirit ‘81,82,83. He was actually sitting in our seats but we didn’t make a fuss because there were empty seats right behind us. Due to a leisurely dinner at Tomaso’s and listening to some of Crossmen’s brass warmup we missed Colt Cadets and only watched Pioneer from the sidelines. 

Here’s my review:

Pioneer - They made it on and off the field.

Crossmen! - a really well put together show. The featured performer in the black cloak could come off as a menacing character but I actually felt he had a comforting vibe in guiding us through The Inbetween. There were some classic, familiar drill moves. One in particular is a gradually forming block/pass through that occurs in the beginning of the show that is reprised at the end. It’s a nice bookend to the drill. The vocalist was on point this evening. He’s tasked with having to be exposed and vulnerable and in my opinion, is what ties the whole show together. “Live your life with joy and wonder”. Man, that lyric speaks to me. Bravo Crossmen!

Scouts - If there’s any talent in that brassline, and I think there is, it is being totally squandered. I don’t think I have ever been more disappointed in a show and I’ve been following this activity for decades. 

Phantom Regiment - the last third of the show kind of caught my interest. The uniforms totally blow! I never thought having lots of white on top could lead to a top heavy look but they succeed. When the hoods are up it gives them a Whack-a-Mole appearance - flattened. When the hoods are down their necks disappear. The whole look was distracting.

Cavies - Wow! This show can challenge for a medalist position. The interweaving of Bolero is awesome.  Never a down moment. You really feel the tension in this program. For me it was kind of a fever dream. Ironically, the most over the top outrageous moment brought the most lucidity to the program. Out of nowhere, the tension is broken with humor. The mashup of Bolero/Rufus is genius! The Rainbow quotes are used well throughout to lend an air of familiarity amongst the madness. I do have one huge caveat with this show. I would have liked the designers to somehow focus more on the neurological ailment that afflicted Ravel rather than taking the easy way out and focusing on “madness”. I don’t think mental illness should be used for entertainment purposes unless it transcends like One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. You know, the whole waving your hands along the side of your head, contorting your body, acting crazy kind of deal? Come on Cavies, you can do better than that.  

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just can’t.  My son marched there and I’m 100% sure it wasn’t to pick up chicks.  I’m distressed. 

I can’t go there right now either. I feel numb. No anger, simply numbness and disappointment. Massive disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Crossmen 0.4 back of Phantom. Partial Panel, but still, wow.

Strong CG score for the Bones Color Guard.  That may ultimately be their strongest caption.

• Like 1

The members of the Madison Scouts deserve better material to work with.  I give the marching members great credit for marching poorly designed shows — especially the brass players.  Those guys have so much talent and it’s not being used.  Do you assemble a talented brass section and give them an arrangement from the Hal Leonard Soundpower Series?  No.  This is worse.  You don’t collect young men who can play like professionals and have them taught by the music director from Hee Haw.  The Scouts are former champions and the past few years’ productions are far beneath them.  

• Like 1