First DCI show in years soon.. thoughts?

Working around the house and setting up laptop and tv for DCA show tonight. In the meantime logged on and waiting for DCI show to start. Started corps 1974 and didn't follow about 1992 to 2002 due to real life. Got back to following DCA but haven't really watched DCI since then. I have followed the changes via DCP but first time to actually see those changes in action. And yes I will try to keep an open mind lol.

Any thoughts????

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Working around the house and setting up laptop and tv for DCA show tonight. In the meantime logged on and waiting for DCI show to start. Started corps 1974 and didn't follow about 1992 to 2002 due to real life. Got back to following DCA but haven't really watched DCI since then. I have followed the changes via DCP but first time to actually see those changes in action. And yes I will try to keep an open mind lol.

Any thoughts????

Yes ..look at today for today, not with the expectation of what you might remember.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes ..look at today for today, not with the expectation of what you might remember.

Lol I've heard "that ain't  drum corps" since 1975. And have vids back to 1960 and audio to 1950 so realize it has always been changing. Good advice thou...

Ok figured out the full screen as had to scroll up.....

Cool Sound Sport kinda like Mini corps. And been around Woodbridge...

• Like 1

As someone who has followed drum corps pretty consistently since 1975, when I remember that back in the day what we saw with DCI finalists was the best the activity had to offer and keep that in mind today, I get a great deal of enjoyment. That’s not to say I don’t have a favorite era, and I still don’t like trombones on the field or concert French horns, but there were things back in the day I didn't like either. 

One thing I have noticed. The periods I was most critical were also times I probably saw only one live show a year, a couple of those years may have only been televised events and my outside information was only what I read in “Drum Corps World” since “Drum Corps News” had ceased publication. Needless to say I am very appreciative of DCW and Steve Vickers and crew. My reasons for not attending shows had nothing to do with the activity: I had a choice of going to shows or vacationing with my family. When it got impossible to find extended time I could vacation with my family, I started going to more shows other than the one or two local shows I usually attended. What I have found is the more shows I attend and the greater the variety, the more I enjoy drum corps.

I’d also make another suggestion: binge watch the Legacy DVD’s and the finals DVD’s. 

You mean you haven’t seen 2013 Carolina Crown????????

Edited by KPinCAL
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Lol ok it took me a while... haven't seen a DCI show in years. Some vids and that DVD yes but not a show.

And by show I mean the corps competing at an event not an individual corps performance 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Spoiler alert:  John loves her. 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Working around the house and setting up laptop and tv for DCA show tonight. In the meantime logged on and waiting for DCI show to start. Started corps 1974 and didn't follow about 1992 to 2002 due to real life. Got back to following DCA but haven't really watched DCI since then. I have followed the changes via DCP but first time to actually see those changes in action. And yes I will try to keep an open mind lol. Any thoughts????

I had attended only DCI shows on and off from 1989 to 2008, when seeing Phantom's "Spartacus" in the Big, Loud & Live cinema screening compelled me to devote more time to watching the activity, but I had heard decades ago that the senior corps were no good, and it was only after joining these forums and noticing that there were plenty of people here who seemed to enjoy the all-age groups that I finally decided to attend a DCA event (Finals) in 2012, and realized that, while DCA shows weren't as technically challenging, they were every bit as entertaining. How much I missed!

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol I've heard "that ain't  drum corps" since 1975. And have vids back to 1960 and audio to 1950 so realize it has always been changing. Good advice thou...

Ok figured out the full screen as had to scroll up.....

Cool Sound Sport kinda like Mini corps. And been around Woodbridge...

Enjoy

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Spoiler alert:  John loves her. 

Ok inside joke is I found a DVD of the show at Salvation Army store and asked about it on DCP. Gave it away and forgot about it until reminded above. 

And follow DCA more as my background since high school. And yes less challenging as weekend warriors have less time...

Edited by JimF-LowBari