Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Read the translations and you will understand 

If a corps wants audiences to do homework, that is the corps' prerogative, but if the audience doesn't want to do homework and rejects the corps, that is the audience's prerogative.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's interesting. Was the audience provided with librettos? Were they just expected to know what was being sung? (In at least ... how many foreign languages? Italian, German, French, Russian, Czech--does that cover the standard repertoire?) Or did they just not care?

Librettos were usually available for purchase at most houses, though many opera go-ers were already familiar enough with the plot and/or dialogue that they didn't bother.   All recordings tended to come with complete multi-lingual libretto translations, for instance, so if you read along when listening at home you became familiar enough with the dialogue that you could just sit back and listen when at the theatre,  Some opera houses (the English National Opera, for example) would sing translated into the native language, not the original language.  Of course, even English is often hard to understand when sung in an opera.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

They didn't prior to around the mid-80s (mid-90s at the Met)... ###### younger generation ruining it for everyone!

(I believe the first house to do it was as early as 1983, in Toronto)

Cadets distributed librettos as early as the mid-1970's with the No More War show.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If a corps wants audiences to do homework, that is the corps' prerogative, but if the audience doesn't want to do homework and rejects the corps, that is the audience's prerogative.

Actually Cadets are getting very nice audience response. 

Just now, George Dixon said:

Actually Cadets are getting very nice audience response. 

But is that because fans are doing research?

Could be because they are really good?

That would be my interpretation, yes.

So we agree!

We do!

I was defending the principle that corps shouldn't expect audiences to do research on their shows; I was not claiming that Cadets had done so.

• Like 2