2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

30 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Me too...but I want the Bluecoats to come out on top.

I want to see fun, engaging, creative shows get rewarded over (largely) skill exhibitions. Bluecoats are proving, year after year, you can do both. 

I believe the path to relevance for second and third tier corps is not dark, moody and mysterious concepts that leave you scratching your head. Kids want to have fun. They paid for four months of an experience, and it should not just be a skills boot camp imo.

Academy jumped into relevance with one of the most fun and creative shows of the last decade. Same with Mandarins. For every Inferno there now seem to be a dozen shows about hell and “mystery” that just don’t pay off, because let’s face it, muddy and sloppy darkness is just darkness. Vanguard has the talent, on and off the field, to pull off a Babylon. You can’t hope to do a clean show that is that complex marching 18 and 19 year olds.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I want to see fun, engaging, creative shows get rewarded over (largely) skill exhibitions. Bluecoats are proving, year after year, you can do both. 

I believe the path to relevance for second and third tier corps is not dark, moody and mysterious concepts that leave you scratching your head. Kids want to have fun. They paid for four months of an experience, and it should not just be a skills boot camp imo.

Academy jumped into relevance with one of the most fun and creative shows of the last decade. Same with Mandarins. For every Inferno there now seem to be a dozen shows about hell and “mystery” that just don’t pay off, because let’s face it, muddy and sloppy darkness is just darkness. Vanguard has the talent, on and off the field, to pull off a Babylon. You can’t hope to do a clean show that is that complex marching 18 and 19 year olds.

Mandarins' show that jumped them up a tier was very much dark and moody.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

That's how the Cavaliers did it... Every time. (See the show comparison thread on their '92 and '06 shows).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think the point is not that dark and moody is inferior... The point is that there seems to be the assumption that it is superior.  When to the contrary, there is a long history of highly entertaining and upbeat winning shows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think the point is not that dark and moody is inferior... The point is that there seems to be the assumption that it is superior.  When to the contrary, there is a long history of highly entertaining and upbeat winning shows.

Precisely. It’s the common attitude that we see even here, that a show that is inspired by The Beatles is “BOA” and might not win the gold simply because it’s not a “serious” show. One would hope that this isn’t still the prevailing attitude after watching Crown and Bluecoats both winning their first titles with fun show concepts, but it’s still out there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

I agree. I go back and watch some of those shows and they are so seemless and well done.

Back to back wins, one was fun (Machine) and one was serious (Frameworks) both neither were dark and moody.

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah I suppose you’re right, but compared to some of these shows this year, that show almost feels like It’s a Small World.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Yeah I suppose you’re right, but compared to some of these shows this year, that show almost feels like It’s a Small World.

I think there's very much a sufficient amount of variety this year. I don't understand the need to say "we need less dark and moody shows" when there are plenty of corps who aren't doing those type of shows 

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

I think there's very much a sufficient amount of variety this year. I don't understand the need to say "we need less dark and moody shows" when there are plenty of corps who aren't doing those type of shows 

My point is, being dark and moody doesn’t make you more creative, artistic or interesting.

• Like 2