81Freelancers

Corps Style HS Band Spells Out Racial Slur

Recommended Posts

First, re-enactments of killing cops on the field. Now this:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/5857834088001/?#sp=show-clips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pathetic on any level. Even hearing that band members took it upon themselves, where was a director or instructor that didn't see this before they went on the field? When it did happen, where's the adult, regardless of involvement with the band, that should have gone on the field and taken care of this immediately. I don't care if it would have ruined the performance, these individuals should have been taken off the field the second someone noticed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

This is pathetic on any level. Even hearing that band members took it upon themselves, where was a director or instructor that didn't see this before they went on the field? When it did happen, where's the adult, regardless of involvement with the band, that should have gone on the field and taken care of this immediately. I don't care if it would have ruined the performance, these individuals should have been taken off the field the second someone noticed.

I just read the story, usually the tuba covers spell Broncos but in this case rearranged to spell the slur. No idea when this occurred in the show. My old crusty WWII vet director would have been sending kids home and yelling names so everyone knew who it was.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

 

I just read the story, usually the tuba covers spell Broncos but in this case rearranged to spell the slur. No idea when this occurred in the show. My old crusty WWII vet director would have been sending kids home and yelling names so everyone knew who it was.

I'm with you. I went to a HS where we had 8 sousaphones, and we spelled things during games, but no way would have considered doing something remotely close to this. We knew what would happen to us, by our director, school and parents, had we taken it beyond what we were allowed to do. Actually, anytime we wanted to deviate from the school mascot spelling, we had to clear it. I'm currently a director, and had my students done this, they wouldn't have made it to the end of the performance, regardless of who I'd have to embaress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's possible that the kids didn't take the covers off their sousaphones for the halftime, as they are supposed to.  Formation changes led to the word being inadvertently spelled out.

It's not 100% clear, but that's the impression I'm getting from the story I read this morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

I think it's possible that the kids didn't take the covers off their sousaphones for the halftime, as they are supposed to.  Formation changes led to the word being inadvertently spelled out.

It's not 100% clear, but that's the impression I'm getting from the story I read this morning.

Should be interesting how this plays out. I worked near a segregationist for a few years so hearing “explanations” for thoughts and actions like this interest me (and got me POed at times).

But.... if this was the last game of the season did that play into it 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

I think it's possible that the kids didn't take the covers off their sousaphones for the halftime, as they are supposed to.  Formation changes led to the word being inadvertently spelled out.

It's not 100% clear, but that's the impression I'm getting from the story I read this morning.

Then when they got into a formation that the word was spelled out, someone should have sprinted onto that field and pulled them off. It's not hard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In college marching band I recall [IN PRACTICE ONLY] when a few radical trombone squads collapsed the B into an F when we spelled Buckeyes the week we were playing Ohio State.  But they weren't stupid enough to do it during the game performance.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My high school drumline often spelled out things by using black tape on the bottom of the cymbal player's shoes. Never anything racist, just little messages to our competition. I vividly remember the judge's tape as he read out loud: "Eat Me Mayfield" and laughing out loud as the cymbals were on their knees with the snareline playing the cymbals. Mayfield High (New Mexico) was the only drumline to come close to taking high percussion from us in four years so we were just rubbing it in.  That was definitely on purpose but I'm not convinced the "prank" in the article here was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In college marching band I recall [IN PRACTICE ONLY] when a few radical trombone squads collapsed the B into an F when we spelled Buckeyes the week we were playing Ohio State.  But they weren't stupid enough to do it during the game performance.

Lol we had a sign in the side of the band bus in college that read Pluck the (Clarion PA) Eagles and the P was in two different colors ( think about it). Good news was it rained and sign was probably gone before we hit the county line. Stupidity was the band was proud if it’s image on the field.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.