Countdown 2008 dvd (Series?)

Sister sells unique books on the web and once in a while finds some other interesting stuff in her buys. After 15 or so years she hit a first. As in first corps dvd in the pile. Called Countdown and can’t tell if this was a series or a one time thing. Has 6 Corps over the 2005-2007 seasons and supposedly the fans chose the shows. In between Rondo and DeLucia talk about the corps and brag up DCIs new “home” in Indy. So maybe a sales pitch for the 10 year contract. 

Any ideas folks so I know what i have?

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

A great sister!

She knows me... it's Drum Corps ... That's my payment for helping load and unload when she has a bunch o' stuff. That and a few meals at Cracker Barrel to keep up my strength lol.

Just found the Easter egg.. watch at the end and 2007 Anaheim Kingsmen alumni. Know couple of the members (one RIP) so owe sis...   

That sounds like the DVD they put out after the Theatrical special.  The fans voted and the Top 6 shows were shown in theatres around the country.  Then, later, DCI released a DVD of the event.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

That sounds like the DVD they put out after the Theatrical special.  The fans voted and the Top 6 shows were shown in theatres around the country.  Then, later, DCI released a DVD of the event.

I googled this morning and found the link for the theater event and think you nailed it. Doesn’t quite explain why they kept saying “you have until (day of week) to vote” lol. Unless it was for something else (kind of slipped past the talk after a while)

Also explains why there is no menu for the dvd. You can skip to next section.... talk... corps... talk corps but no top menu

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Those were fun theater events, and I would always encourage our students to go. Especially when they did the one where it was something like 2 or 3 from each decade (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s).

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 2:25 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Sister sells unique books on the web and once in a while finds some other interesting stuff in her buys. After 15 or so years she hit a first. As in first corps dvd in the pile. Called Countdown and can’t tell if this was a series or a one time thing. Has 6 Corps over the 2005-2007 seasons and supposedly the fans chose the shows. In between Rondo and DeLucia talk about the corps and brag up DCIs new “home” in Indy. So maybe a sales pitch for the 10 year contract. 

Any ideas folks so I know what i have?

Yes I do! I watch that DVD regularly 🙂

I think they stopped putting out the DVDs because they realized they were undercutting the sales of the season championships.  Still, a lot of great performances on those two discs!

On 11/12/2018 at 11:08 AM, ibexpercussion said:

Those were fun theater events, and I would always encourage our students to go. Especially when they did the one where it was something like 2 or 3 from each decade (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s).

I was just thinking about that this morning, the first Classic Countdown. It was 3 from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s, so a full finals lineup of 12 shows. Each corps only got one show in the mix. I'm pretty sure Kingsmen were 73 or 74, BD was 76, SCV was 89, Phantom was 96 and Cavaliers were 02. Can't remember the rest.

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

I was just thinking about that this morning, the first Classic Countdown. It was 3 from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s, so a full finals lineup of 12 shows. Each corps only got one show in the mix. I'm pretty sure Kingsmen were 73 or 74, BD was 76, SCV was 89, Phantom was 96 and Cavaliers were 02. Can't remember the rest.

Each only getting one was kind of a bummer, would've liked to have seen 2 per group maybe. Because in some cases, a group had a better show in a more recent decade, but won in another decade because A) there were fewer to choose from, or B) the masses that voted weren't as educated about those older shows, and thus picked the more popular name.