DCI Shares Important Information on Hiring & Vetting Processes

Thank you. Sounds like DCI has someone who put the time and effort needed to understand the issue. And that includes the limitations of current background checks. To top if off this is actually put in a way that is understandable to the layperson. 

• Like 1

The second paragraph of the DCI  News Release says,in part, " DCI has no authority or oversight . . . ".

The News Release then talks about mandatory compliance with the 2018 "DCI Community Code Of Conduct  And Ethics  Guidelines".

Does anyone know how,exactly ,this works ?

Can DCI ,as a "parent organization" actively investigate an independent entity's compliance,or must they accept that corps' representation that they comply,on its face ?

To me,the News Release raises some of the same questions discussed here before of whether DCI want to be a true governing body for the activity,including requiring some uniformity in all corps by-laws or merely a show scheduler ?

• Like 1

My understanding was DCI cannot overrule the corps in who is hired as DCI does not have that legal authority. Also does not have the authority to order corps to change their policies. But if the corps does not follow the guidelines then they will not be allowed in DCI events. The mandatory as I read it is the corps MUST follow guidelines if they want to be in DCI events.

DCI has already investigated corps compliance in following regulations. Talking to people with Pioneer at Atlanta(?) comes to mind. And setting up a hot line to report abuses should help bring abuses to light. (IMO still missing some pieces in that process)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My understanding was DCI cannot overrule the corps in who is hired as DCI does not have that legal authority. Also does not have the authority to order corps to change their policies. But if the corps does not follow the guidelines then they will not be allowed in DCI events. The mandatory as I read it is the corps MUST follow guidelines if they want to be in DCI events.

DCI has already investigated corps compliance in following regulations. Talking to people with Pioneer at Atlanta(?) comes to mind. And setting up a hot line to report abuses should help bring abuses to light. (IMO still missing some pieces in that process)

My question is,if a corps  claims to be in compliance with DCI's  Code Of Conduct and Ethics Guidelines, must DCI accept their claim on its face ?

Again,this all comes down to whether DCI wants to be a true Governing Body for the activity.

If they do,then corps would have to be willing  to give up some independence to be a member of DCi and provide them with  the legal authority to control the activity with one iniform set of rules governing all members,including hiring and volunteers.

DCI would also have to be given  the authority to enforce those rules.

Edited by rpbobcat

16 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

My question is,if a corps  claims to be in compliance with DCI's  Code Of Conduct and Ethics Guidelines, must DCI accept their claim on its face ?

Again,this all comes down to whether DCI wants to be a true Governing Body for the activity.

If they do,then corps would have to be willing  to give up some independence to be a member of DCi and provide them with  the legal authority to control the activity with one iniform set of rules governing all members,including hiring and volunteers.

True, only way DCI to really be able to enforce anything like this would require a change in their rules. And corps would have to agree to those changes. Not sure if DCI and the corps have any type of written agreement but if yes that would have to change also.

as for accepting at face value. Only way I can think of for DCI to check compliance is to ask for copies of background checks. After that not sure

Edited by JimF-LowBari

53 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I would imagine DCI could request any and all paperwork/correspondence

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

True, only way DCI to really be able to enforce anything like this would require a change in their rules. And corps would have to agree to those changes. Not sure if DCI and the corps have any type of written agreement but if yes that would have to change also.

as for accepting at face value. Only way I can think of for DCI to check compliance is to ask for copies of background checks. After that not sure

the next big meeting is next month. it's possible rules could be changed/adopted at that time.

All i know is this year, I'm really hoping there's no dark secrets lurking about that no one will talk openly about...but there is that doomsday article we keep hearing rumors about, and of course now the news about Pioneer 10 years ago that had to be known

• Like 2

As this topic goes round and round it may help to clarify what DCI does or doesn't do as well as what DCI can and can't do, per their mission statement.  The mission statement makes it clear that DCI's primary role is to "create the stage".  To me that means DCI is a facilitating organization rather than a governing organization ruling over each individual corps operations. There certainly has to be a level of compliance and coordination in an operational sense, but each corps has a lot of autonomy in the actual function of the org.  Each competing corps should provide to DCI, before the start of each season, a document confirmed by the org., signed by leadership, including BOD members that they are compliant with DCI rules and refs as a competing corps and they have an established employee and volunteer vetting p&p and a comprehensive health and safety program (including a reporting process).  DCI should not be dictating policy to corps but should be able to share policies with orgs so each may adopt p&p to further improve their own.  Each corps continues to govern themselves and DCI continues to facilitate and enforces compliance more rigidly as it pertains to creating the stage.  At least that's my $.02.

I would imagine bylaws and such are being clarified, but that process can take time