“Failure to Protect”

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Bingo. To an outsider, Dan is in charge of DCI. And that’s the salient point right there. And it’s why he has to go. Whether he had any actual power or not. Step two is the directors must give the next DCI ED the actual power to act. 

The Vaticinate study would corroborate that, at that time, fans equate "drum corps" to DCI and not the individual corps (much to chagrin of some corps). 

But you'll notice that even the Philly articles are VERY careful to present DCI and Dan's office very gingerly when describing Dan's office as the "head" of the activity.  And even IF you can ignore that, your knowledge, as one of the "insiders", would require you set the public straight in its misperception of DCI, not cut the head off one of its key employees for OPTICS sake.

• Like 2

Sounds like a catch-22. The directors, who largely neutered DCI’s oversight ability some time ago, now need a little oversight of their own, but by whom? Is that the overall gist?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok I learned about sponsors which should get interesting.

When DCI releases publicity or information to show sites, schools that host corps, etc, etc. whose name is on the letters, ads, whatever. I have no idea but if DAs name is on them then he is DCIs "face" regardless of what he is behind the door.

Look HERE.

Sure, you can find his picture and, yes, he drafted the welcome letter in the official program and ED of DCI.

But I think you'd be HARD-PRESSED to say that this shows that Dan is the "face" of anything in the activity.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Good Point the elephant in the room is the school districts. Dci is in the middle and in a real catch 22. They can't be the warriors to after the perversion in the schools since they partner with them for housing and of course MMs, but if someone doesn't the activity we love will die a slow death. The urgency is felt on DCP but real solutions are hard to come-by which leaves most frustrated.

Our youth deserve better and dci can be the driving force by taking positive steps to include them as much as possible in decisions. Do the MMs have an advocate on the dci staff someone who they can identify with. A leader that reaches out to them for solutions someone they can trust, they should. Someone that polls them do they want to go back to schools that had perversion issues of their own?. Do they think Bus Drivers on tour need an orientation to drum corps since some of them may have hang-ups of their own? Do you want more or fewer shows are you getting enough quality sleep? That's a start from there trust is built to tackle the more sensitive issues.

Is there any unified staff orientations, on-line sensitivity training that is mandatory and enforceable if trust is breached? Define sexual misconduct. Warning signs that lead to misconduct, defined reporting procedures. How to handle conflict, how far to push the MM signs you are pushing too hard? All kinds of stuff that is common in business the completed course becomes a contract that if violated has serious repercussions?

44 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Bingo. To an outsider, Dan is in charge of DCI. And that’s the salient point right there. And it’s why he has to go. Whether he had any actual power or not. Step two is the directors must give the next DCI ED the actual power to act. 

Outsiders don't even know what DCI is, so why should they be the deciding factor.  

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

Look HERE.

Sure, you can find his picture and, yes, he drafted the welcome letter in the official program and ED of DCI.

But I think you'd be HARD-PRESSED to say that this shows that Dan is the "face" of anything in the activity.

Opinion, opinion... and I don't know or care enough to have one...

And when I post "face" in quotes it doesn't mean a picture is needed...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

50 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Sounds like a catch-22. The directors, who largely neutered DCI’s oversight ability some time ago, now need a little oversight of their own, but by whom? Is that the overall gist?

A group of non-affiliated governance leaders which has gained the trust of the Directors such that they allow themselves to be governed even when they might not like or want it.

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Opinion, opinion... and I don't know or care enough to have one...

And when I post "face" in quotes it doesn't mean a picture is needed...

"Titular Head", "face", it doesn't matter the name.  The notion is false.

The corps have retained their own identities specifically so they can be "The Draw" instead of the "governing body" being the draw.

Just think 1972 and the VFW and you'll get the picture.  I know you know those events well.

Edited by garfield

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Titular Head", "face", it doesn't matter the name.  The notion is false.

The corps have retained their own identities specifically so they can be "The Draw" instead of the "governing body" being the draw.

Just think 1972 and the VFW and you'll get the picture.  I know you know those events well.

Like I said opinion so no idea why you try to convince people your opinion is right....

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Like I said opinion so no idea why you try to convince people your opinion is right....

It's not my opinion, for goodness sake.  What makes you think I'd make something like this up?

Doesn't matter.  Facts matter.