“Failure to Protect”

39 minutes ago, Lance said:

public school teachers in 48 of the 50 states (when last i was trained) are mandatory reporters of abuse towards children.  

it's the law. 

abuse still happens, but there is a regulated and enforced system in place for reporting and acting on it for nearly all teachers and administrators in the country. 

the same isn't remotely true for DCI, which was kind of the point of the article, right?

i assume that's one of about 100 reasons why the PI didn't conflate a nonprofit youth activity with public education

The landscape is changing ( as we speak ) regarding the legal requirement  to report incidences of sexual abuse in non profit, amateur, youth sports too by those in Leadership positions.. Failure to report incidences of sexual abuse to legal authorities by those in leadership positions, once informed, is more and more becoming a criminal act in itself. Congress, in a good example of bi partisanship work, passed a new Bill, and it was signed into Law by the President earlier this year.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/web/News/Articles/March_2018/New_Law_Brings_New_Responsibility_to_Youth_Coaches.aspx

Edited by BRASSO

22 hours ago, Bluzes said:

This is where I go wrong posting here, I am not a teacher or use dci as a livelihood. I realize bringing negative light on teachers is not a place to go here. I mean no harm I know 99 % of our teachers are great people. The Failure To Protect has worked me up by taking aim at dci when the problems emanated  from the school districts. That rings clear, why didn't the author site the Texas & Oregon School Districts or where ever instead of drum corps. Folks in Philly and the general public would be more enlightened by sexual misconduct in the school district than unknown drum corps, their kids go to school may not be in drum corps. Why is the author limiting her reach and missing the point so much, is her uncle up next to take over for Dan or something?

It's a new day it does not matter how different Band Originations are run they shouldn't  escape scrutiny. Fly under the radar when their schools are breading sexual predators? Dci has an issue that it can only put a band aid on at best. The problem is an influx of these individual who already ruined students lives in a school environment and the answer is dci needs to be run better fire everyone who got us to this point but don't go anywhere else here? What about the kids that were already affected, it's OK for that to go on just don't bring it to DCP? Or should I just duck my head in the sand and believe dci has a chance of fixing this on their own?

a band circuit should not be playing police. What schools do, we have to accept. Band circuits don't breed predators. We have very narrowly defined membership criteria and that's it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bluzes said:

And I thank god it's just bad press and not anything worse outside of GH. On the flip side even with the bad actors the tours have been relativity safe. That's a testament to all the good people on tour doing the right thing. Sky got some bad press or else I would not have found out. I was headquartered at Paganini Enterprises in Pittston lived in Kingston but can't say I know what is going on with the band. A Google search of tainted school teachers yields tons of them nationwide no surprise that dci / dca is involved in this mess. 

it's been good for the band, as it's rallied the community, and spawned an indoor percussion group to be formed.

Sky got no bad press.

21 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Makes sense, since she doesn't have the resources like the Spotlight team from the Boston Globe. Don't blame her for not going after big fish. Takes working for a big paper and resources to back up going after big fish like 60 minutes with the Tabacco industry or the Boston Globe with the Catholic Church. You got to start somewhere. If DCI rides this ship, and good comes out of it, perhaps she gets a gig with a bigger news organization, then she can go after the bigger fish

Philly's a big paper, and she was involved also in breaking some scoop on the PA priest scandal

20 hours ago, garfield said:

I did not get all "pissy" with you last time you brought up Larson, I got all pissy with you because you insist that Dan A had some obligation to do something that he didn't do.

That's been my contention against your Larson discussion; the man sounds like a pig to me (and looks like one, too) and I wouldn't defend him or his actions in any way.

I'm focused on the morbidly mistaken and foolhardy notion that getting rid of Dan for optics reasons makes any sense at all.  You keep saying he ignored you and didn't act.  He did act.  He just didn't act in the way you think he should have.  I don't think many people take into count how small our activity is and how difficult it would be to replace Dan and his staff for the money they are now being paid, train them, then expect them to both step into tour management AND pull off the season just beginning.  

Hobbling DCI's ability to hold a tour and generate revenue is not the solution to holding Dan accountable for Larson's participation OR not doing what you think he should have done.

mandated reporting. he had an obligation. He didn't ignore me, in 2012, Morgan Larson was nothing more than a name that appeared on DCP a few times. he did however ignore tohers on here who did report it, and raised hell with the corps, and got all kinds of threats for doing so. The wagons circled hardcore in Racine, and in fact all but one boatd member then is on their board now.

but the Kilties are and were an affiliate member, with a member on the sex registry, performing at DCI shows with minors galore in attendance, on school grounds. And in fact in the incident mentioned in 2012 when police were called, the issue caused DCi to lose a venue from that day forward.

So Dan had a reason to act. he chose not to. 

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, garfield said:

Now I think you’ve got it. 

New policies, new governance. And if Dan A has to go, then every DCI Board member does to, and every corps director out on their ear, too.

But new policies and governanance doesn’t have to mean everyone gets fired, does it?

it did for YEA

• Like 1

10 hours ago, garfield said:

But you’re not up for firing the people who told him specifically what to do and not do in these circumstances?

I am.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garfield said:

Dan Acheson

Dan Acheson

Dan Acheson

We used to mockingly use someone else's name in this same way.  Videos were made.

We know what the other one did.  What did Acheson actually do to deserve it? 

I wonder who it will be after Dan Acheson.

(And, no, I'm not comparing or contrasting the two, or equivocating their respective rolls.)

the person who reported Acheson has publicly admitted here that they did it. not hearsay or rumor...full out admitted they reported it. 10-1 they gave documented verification to others too. 

8 hours ago, garfield said:

Serious question and looking for input:

The issue that Jim keeps making is that "...in PA..." it is this way or that, and he doesn't speak about other states.

Some here have said that different jurisdictions have differing rules regarding reporting, among other requirements.

The notion of centralizing and coordinating all of the various jurisdictions (down to the individual school districts) seems like a nearly-insurmountable obstacle.

How would such a program work at DCI (or whatever central office is chosen to execute it)?

I'm just looking for some visions of how such a thing would look and operate is all.

it shouldn't be a program for just DCI. it should be for all groups...sports, schools, DCi, you name it. One large database that's not cumbersome to use to file reports, with peple trained on how to verify if the accusation is indeed credible.