“Failure to Protect”

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understood, my meaning was by signing before the notary it’s next to impossible to prove you were not the person signing the doc. IOW you ain’t innocent of making false statement 

Good example is when I had to sign a document 5 (yes 5 times) in front of a Notary to claim a check was forged in my name.

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

Good example is when I had to sign a document 5 (yes 5 times) in front of a Notary to claim a check was forged in my name.

Understood, I had a banking issue where two entities were requiring the original doc. I told them to regroup and fix this after some hemming and hawing they allowed me to disposit an annuity check funds owed to my deceased mother. They held the check up because on their application when they asked for my relationship to the deceased. SON was the wrong answer and rejected payment. Had a lawyer friend tell me, in this case, the proper answer was. THE ESTATE OF (my mother name). Then it went through but they were not offering any clues just that the form was not filled out correctly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I wish that was the case, but electronic signatures are more ironclad than paper documents. I am not recommending that dci needs this level of acknowledgment but it wouldn't hurt. My job was to provision and maintain the bandwidth on the backhaul network the backhaul bandwidth is seriously constrained very hard to get approval for video return. I was not privy to why certain return paths back to HR was necessary. However, it was provisioned for return video. I also know the patent for hidden cameras embossed into a video display was granted 15 years ago. So it is likely that if you are looking at a screen it is looking at you, especially on company workstations and laptops, stickers over the little video peepholes is a false sense of security.

With the electronic signatures I was just thinking of the me$$ (mess) involved in getting everyone on the same page with proper technology. And who knows how loose some corps are with who gets on the pcs and what they are able to do. Just a security nightmare.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

With the electronic signatures I was just thinking of the me$$ (mess) involved in getting everyone on the same page with proper technology. And who knows how loose some corps are with who gets on the pcs and what they are able to do. Just a security nightmare.

That's where the National Vendor can play a role. They provide URLs with links to the training, once the candidate meets the educational requirements and other task related hurdles, then the hiring Director or Caption Head sends the list of desirable candidates to the National Clearinghouse. The hiring staff would then fill the position with their choice from the approved applicants. The second interview is where the job offer is spelled out. The Applicant is required to complete the online portion of the job application. It could be as simple as accessing the training on your smartphone and the hiring Director gets an automated message of completion and the job offer is complete.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Understood, I had a banking issue where two entities were requiring the original doc. I told them to regroup and fix this after some hemming and hawing they allowed me to deposit an annuity check funds owed to my deceased mother. They held the check up because on their application when they asked for my relationship to the deceased. SON was the wrong answer and rejected payment. Had a lawyer friend tell me, in this case, the proper answer was. THE ESTATE OF (my mother name). Then it went through but they were not offering any clues just that the form was not filled out correctly.

Good protection here for your deceased Mother to be certain her wishes for those funds would go to the right person(s).  Its always a balancing issue to protect all parties to a transaction. A " Son " theoretically could be a " Son " the Mother had disowned for one reason or another and who could, unilaterally and without the knowledge of other Family members,  cash in the proceeds. Plus,  there could easily be multiple " Sons " of any deceased relative. When the Beneficiary is cited as " The Estate of.. " on the Application, the Fiduciary ( Trustee ) of that Estate has been designated by family as the proper dispursor of the funds upon the death of the Family member, and usually done when the Family was living  (when its designated " The Estate of.... ".) Sounds like proper planning here was done initially when this Annuity Application was drawn up between the Parties. ( not always the case )..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Paperwork done properly is a blessing indeed as have seen it both ways. Recently had an interesting issue regarding a deceased person and a credit card. Store wanted a copy of the death certificate before they would cancel the card. Knowing what info was on the cert I refused as store did not need lot of the info. But an ID thief would have had a field day with it. Waiting for the new card to show up lol.

Not quite off topic as if corps request more info to protect members anyone who gives the info has to protect them selves also. IOW make sure what you give is really needed and only the proper people will see it

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Good protection here for your deceased Mother to be certain her wishes for those funds would go to the right person(s).

Good advise In this case I had already provided the necessary death certicifates of my dad and my brother. I had already passed their hurdles of being the elegiabe person it was going on for a year with notorized documentation flying all over the place.They just wouln't give me any clues. Being under 40 grand was a god send the hoops get a lot bigger then. They would admit they had all the necessary docs but the underrighters rejected the application.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Good advise In this case I had already provided the necessary death certicifates of my dad and my brother. I had already passed their hurdles of being the elegiabe person it was going on for a year with notorized documentation flying all over the place.. They would admit they had all the necessary docs but the underrighters rejected the application.

A" year "? The Carrier "admitted they had all necessary docs" too ?  But the Underwriters " rejected the application " ?. Something is seriously amiss here, as an Application for Annuities ( or Life insurance ) under both State and Federal Laws can not be " rejected " by a Carrier after the Company approves the applicant ( your Mother ), and receives initial deposit payments. Carriers in the sales of Annuities ( or Life Insurance ) can not sit on funds " for a year " after a death of an Annuitant or an Insured either.  Not even for weeks. Not without heavy penalties from State's Insurance Regulatory Commissions.  An " Underwriter " is never involved in the dispursal of funds at any Carrier anywhere in the Country either. The Funds Payments are handled by the Companies Claims Dept. They rarely require Public Notary involvement for the release of the Annuity Funds under the terms of the State's approved Annuity Contract either. In all 50 States.

In both Life Insurance and Annuities, these claims are settled typically within a a week or two of the Death of the Annuitant or the Insured. The Death Certificate submission to the Carrier is the norm for the usual quick settlement ( unlike Auto, Home Insurance claims which can take longer.. to ascertain total damage loss by the Claimant to be paid out ).Even if there was an error on the initial Annuity application, Carriers are bound under the " Incontestability Clause " in all Annuity Contracts to accept without challenge the info on the initial application once approved by the Carrier. Even if the Death Proceeds had " Son " on the initial application as the Beneficiary, the matter is routinely clarified without much difficulty on the part of either the Family or the Carrier. Even if in the unusual case it goes to Probate Court to settle the Estate, it rarely, if ever takes " a year " to get the Annuity payout resolved. Creditors ( like Funeral Homes,  Mortgage Co's,  Nursing Homes, whatever, etc ), want to get paid / reimbursed quickly upon the death of a person. So this seems very strange to me as a dispursal of funds by an Annuity Carrier that you've described here. Very odd..

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

A" year "?

BRASSO I needed you last year. They drove me nuts. My parents provided me with a great childhood but we never had too much. I took my mother in and she lived with us for 14 years. She didn't have much, no estate or even a will but this annuity popped up. They would not even address mail to me everything was addressed to the estate naming my mother at my address like my home is a family asset. The check was to the estate so the bank would not process. Wanted an original notified doc that I sent to the insurance company to get the check in the first place. Said, how has this not come up before there is only one original, then they deposited the check saying I am lucky it was under 40 grand.

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

. I took my mother in and she lived with us for 14 years. She didn't have much, no estate or even a will but this annuity popped up.. The check was to the estate so the bank would not process. Wanted an original notified doc that I sent to the insurance company to get the check in the first place. Said, how has this not come up before there is only one original, then they deposited the check saying I am lucky it was under 40 grand.

The fact that you could readily and easily identify yourself as the Son of the Deceased should have allowed for a rather seemless process here. Your name was on the Annuity Application for Survivorship Benefits ( with your name, DOB, SSN ). Its on all Annuity Applications where there is the potential for survivorship benefits to family members upon the death of the Annuitant.  The bank telling you that " you are lucky that the check was for under $40.000" makes absolutely no sense at all to me either. Banks are happy to deposit money into their Bank whether its $40. or 40 million..  You are a recognized family member executor of" the estate"  for deposit purposes ( and for later withdrawal purposes ). You have family ID to endorse the back of the check. its YOUR Personal Bank.  Banks like money deposits.  ( no surprise, right ?... lol). So I really don't know what to make of the process of your mother's survivorship  benefit payout to you, nor the deposit difficulties you experienced from your personal Bank ( all this went on for " a year " ? ) as very little of what transpired between your Mother's Annuitant Carrier, and then your Bank dealings with you, makes very little sense to me at all. 

Edited by BRASSO