“Failure to Protect”

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Agree. Esp since Moody does have online info available when searching.

I’m thinking how can you change someone else’s website so that info is “hidden” to other people. Deal with databases and have worked a good bit with all types of security settings. Unless I’m missing something Morrison hired someone to hack certain sites so Moody’s info would not appear (sounds like security settings if info not changed). Or Morrison got sold a bill of goods and he got scammed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

If the Corps think it's strange that their applicants are not forthcoming with their social media they have good reason to be cautious. 

This is me being forthcoming to a drum corps who demands access to my privacy: "If you want access to my privacy show proof of criminal activity to the police and apply for a warrent, otherwise go blank youself!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is me being forthcoming to a drum corps who demands access to my privacy: "If you want access to my privacy show proof of criminal activity to the police and apply for a warrent, otherwise go blank youself!"

As is said in the government: "where is your need to know"?

Followed by "how do I know someone in your group won't use the info to steal my identity ". 

Trust goes both ways....

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Stu, I respect your opinion and your sense of privacy. The problem is these individuals need social media to carry out their crimes. It may as well be a gun because it causes great harm. DCi making the announcement that they require some type of social media monitoring is following suit with big business today. That's why there are firms out there to scrub your digital footprint.

It's a new world for our youth, not the business environment of old. I have the same attitude as you about all this, but it does not matter what we think, the issue is how to keep the kids safe on tour.

I lived it myself joked with my peers that by giving up our passwords things are upside down. In the past, we had each others backs. Now we are so private and uptight with each other and the Boss is into our private lives, what's up with that? I gave them my wife's FB that is clean enough to have Thanksgiving on, not that I have anything to hide but didn't have the Twitter and things to give them.
This is not a new thing for work to require this access dci is just catching up. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

So no, I do not see any of this being made available in general, nor should it be. It is personal information between the new district and old district(s), authorized by the applicant.  

Then the youth originations need enhanced vetting methods to keep these individuals out of their originations that are left as low hanging fruit as a result of this law.
The school districts (taxpayers) found it necessary to fund this database. The parents assume it is keeping their kids safe but it falls short by not including the youth organizations (same kids/pawns in the chess match). Does there need to be such growing pains in addressing this issue? This law and its roadblocks are just new brooms to sweep the dirt in the street collectively as far a helping drum corps, I don't see it, yet maybe someday when the perps privcy don't trump the kids saftey..

43 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Stu, I respect your opinion and your sense of privacy. The problem is these individuals need social media to carry out their crimes. It may as well be a gun because it causes great harm. DCi making the announcement that they require some type of social media monitoring is following suit with big business today. That's why there are firms out there to scrub your digital footprint.

It's a new world for our youth, not the business environment of old. I have the same attitude as you about all this, but it does not matter what we think, the issue is how to keep the kids safe on tour.

I lived it myself joked with my peers that by giving up our passwords things are upside down. In the past, we had each others backs. Now we are so private and uptight with each other and the Boss is into our private lives, what's up with that? I gave them my wife's FB that is clean enough to have Thanksgiving on, not that I have anything to hide but didn't have the Twitter and things to give them.
This is not a new thing for work to require this access dci is just catching up. 

No, you and I do not have the same attitude. The problem is not social media, nor a gun; those are just mere tools in which the criminals utilize.  A criminal will always find a way to perpatrate the crime. The problem is also not the companies seeking the invasion of privacy. The problem is those who allow companies or the government to invade their own private innocent life without just cause, without due process, in the name of getting a job under the guise of safety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

No, you and I do not have the same attitude. The problem is not social media, nor a gun; those are just mere tools in which the criminals utilize.  A criminal will always find a way to perpatrate the crime. The problem is also not the companies seeking the invasion of privacy. The problem is those who allow companies or the government to invade their own private innocent life without just cause, without due process, in the name of getting a job under the guise of safety.

Well put, I get where you are coming from. It's just difficult to walk your walk. Things I am personally appauled about overnight become a norm often. By not submitting and taking a stance could change your whole career path today. Me personally I would grab a rake like you and live an uncluttered life there is nothing wrong with what you're describing, thanks.

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Expungements are official government actions, totally legal and above board. Sure, the person has to apply, but that is normal. What Morrison is accused of doing for Moody is using online tools to hide online 3rd party information, not altering the information itself. Really, that is legal as well, when it comes down to it.

Exactly they sniff out the negative articles and alter the metadata/syntax to trick the search engines. They also wipe Google search history, scan email accounts, twits, Instagram, FB, and especially old myspace info things you have forgotten. If this activity contributed to bodly harm even Fred would have been arrested.

49 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Then the youth originations need enhanced vetting methods to keep these individuals out of their originations that are left as low hanging fruit as a result of this law.
The school districts (taxpayers) found it necessary to fund this database. The parents assume it is keeping their kids safe but it falls short by not including the youth organizations (same kids/pawns in the chess match). Does there need to be such growing pains in addressing this issue? This law and its roadblocks are just new brooms to sweep the dirt in the street collectively as far a helping drum corps, I don't see it, yet maybe someday when the perps privcy don't trump the kids saftey..

I think you are still not understanding what the law is doing on this in NJ. It is not a database, first of all. It is a new communication process between job applicants and new/old school districts.

1. Applicant fills out a job application.

2. It includes a page where the applicant gives the new district the approval to contact old districts going back 20 years to see if there were issues, whether or nor there were any charges filed or licenses suspended. The old district contact information is provided by the applicant on the form. 

3. The new district contacts the old district(s).

4. The old districts must provide any instances of issues with the person. That is the big change in the "Don't pass the trash" law just enacted. In the past, districts could NOT provide this information when no charges had been filed....now they must. 

This has nothing to do with organizations outside of those noted above. It is not some sort of database as you are thinking.

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

It is not some sort of database as you are thinking.

I see, thank you