Old Man DCI was cool...

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Flashback to one of our snares in the mid 70s when we were rebuilding. Few seconds after he lit a cig the instructor started warm ups. So there he is doing the routine while puffing away without using his hands. When cig was done, turn head and spit it out of his mouth. Never missed a beat and “I ain’t wasting that smoke, they’re getting expensive”. Yep good old DCA

5 hours ago, Sideways said:

Not playing was usually guaranteed by pulling their mouthpiece before entering the field....or the ever classy plugging it with dirt.

Knew of a story of a DCHOF Horn instructor who  was known for plugging guys when they honked him off in a pre show warmup...

3 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

i know of a kid starting his third year with Cavaliers that was a Sax turned baritone. He marched two years of baritone in a DCA Corps ( Alliance) and then auditioned for Cavaliers and made it. So, yes...it's possible to do, but I doubt it's possible on a 3 month wind-up. 

yeah if the performer wants it bad enough, they'll make it happen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Knew of a story of a DCHOF Horn instructor who  was known for plugging guys when they honked him off in a pre show warmup...

I know a story concerning a known name having their bottom head taped and tuned so much you couldn't hear the drum at prelims. Been verified by many

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah if the performer wants it bad enough, they'll make it happen

Good musicianship is also a good key. Having the rhythms down, knowing how to listen and be in tune, knowing the qualities of shaping, phrasing... if they had that going in when they picked up the horn, it made it a whole lot easier.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Good musicianship is also a good key. Having the rhythms down, knowing how to listen and be in tune, knowing the qualities of shaping, phrasing... if they had that going in when they picked up the horn, it made it a whole lot easier.

Having not picked up a horn in 10 years started again in 2003 and yes a lot is listening. (Knowing how to listen.) You can play notes by yourself and know Bb is first valve but is that really a Bb coming out of the horn or something else. And oh man does that tone suck. Right note or not quit sounding like a cow with breathing problems .

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know a story concerning a known name having their bottom head taped and tuned so much you couldn't hear the drum at prelims. Been verified by many

Sunrisers' drum line when I was with that corps... late 1970s, early '80s... they had pretty much no desire to hide anyone.  LOL.  If you weren't at a certain level, or worked your butt off to get to that level fairly quickly, you didn't suit up. Those Dennis DeLucia books were not for the faint of heart.

Sun's line won six percussion titles at finals in seven seasons, 1977-83... so the "zero tolerance" system obviously worked. :tongue:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Sunrisers' drum line when I was with that corps... late 1970s, early '80s... they had pretty much no desire to hide anyone.  LOL.  If you weren't at a certain level, or worked your butt off to get to that level fairly quickly, you didn't suit up. Those Dennis DeLucia books were not for the faint of heart.

Sun's line won six percussion titles at finals in seven seasons, 1977-83... so the "zero tolerance" system obviously worked. :tongue:

sometimes, especially at seasons end, someone has maxed out and can go backwards. I have seen it happen. 

39 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Sunrisers had some fantastic drum lines! We (Buccaneers) had much respect for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dans said:

Sunrisers had some fantastic drum lines! We (Buccaneers) had much respect for them.

The feeling was mutual from our corps to you guys!!! 

And believe me... there were times when we in Sun's horn line would watch our drum line warming up and say, "thank God they're in our corps!!!'  :laughing:

They carried us on several occasions, no question.  My last year, 1982, our drum line kept us in the game until we could add more horns (we were rehearsing with basically low 20s in horn numbers only a couple of months before the first show) and until we marched better. It eventually all came together nicely.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1