Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Kind of hard to make that case regarding DCI corps themselves.  Compete with Broadway musicals without appearing on Broadway?  Compete with professional concert tours while self-limited to scholastic-aged musicians and 8 weeks of events?  Those are not the behaviors of a competitive business venture.

A performance ensemble like BDEntertainment might be what you had in mind.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

You are mixing metaphors.

DCI is to drum corps as the NCAA is to college football.  And if the NCAA enjoys non-profit status, why should DCI worry?

DCI does have a competitive element, just like America's Got Talent has a competitive element, but the performaces are also way closer to touring musicals and rock concerts than to competitive sports. And as for the other...

NCAA is a completely seperate entity from the universities. However, DCI is structured where DCI 'is the corps themselves'. Therefore the metaphor used is correct.

Edited by Stu

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

However, DCI is structured where DCI 'is the corps themselves

Not saying this is incorrect, but would you mind walking this statement through for me so I can get an understanding of how this is the case.

10 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The Naval Academy Athletic Association, which is a 501C3 non-profit,  operates the football stadium:

https://navysports.com/sports/2018/5/23/ot-what-is-naaa-html.aspx

And man, if I had a nickel for every time I've been asked "where is the stadium located on the Naval Academy grounds?"   LOL.  It's not at the Academy... it's in the city of Annapolis itself.

Having been at both (one perk for having a govt ID card) I’ll just say traffic is better around the stadium 😲

And I’ll guess the NAAA mission is support US Naval Academy Athletics and they donate to that. Old car club lost nonprofit for claiming to support the antique car activity but only giving lip service. Now they donate to a trade school that has an auto restoration major. So guess giving $$$ to nonprofit helps your group be nonprofit 

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Not saying this is incorrect, but would you mind walking this statement through for me so I can get an understanding of how this is the case.

DCI is a Cooperative. It is formed by, organized by, governed by the corps themselves for the exclusive benifet of themselves. Dan, Sue, et al are hired by, and work for the benefit of, the collective coopretive member corps. The NCAA, on the otherhand, is a completely seperate independent organization than the universities.

Edited by Stu

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

DCI is a Cooperative. It is formed by, organized by, governed by the corps themselves for the exclusive benifet of themselves. Dan, Sue, et al are hired by, and work for the benefit of, the collective coopretive member corps. The NCAA, on the otherhand, is a completely seperate independent organization than the universities

Gotcha. Thanks Stu

Just now, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Gotcha. Thanks Stu

And that is also why the Alabama Football team, for example, is under the auspices, legal authority, and legal designation of the University of Alabama not the independent scheduling body of NCAA.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

And that is also why the Alabama Football team, for example, is under the auspices, legal authority, and legal designation of the University of Alabama not the independent scheduling body of NCAA.

oh I thought they were the property of Nick Saban after being in a receivership after Bear Bryant passed away LOL

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh I thought they were the property of Nick Saban after being in a receivership after Bear Bryant passed away LOL

Bear and Bryant. Also the names of the two houndogs mentioned in the movie Sweet Home Alabama!

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

True.

Gene Stallings did have voting control for a brief time, especially in that game against Miami. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Stu said:

And unfortunately for this Tide fan... they were under the thumb of the Clemson Tigers in the title game in January. :laughing: