Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is the official mission of corps in DCI, as stipulated as being 100% charitable, really what is going on, or is the reality of creating entertainment which competes against touring rock/pop concerts and touring broadway musicals now the main focus? 

Kind of hard to make that case regarding DCI corps themselves.  Compete with Broadway musicals without appearing on Broadway?  Compete with professional concert tours while self-limited to scholastic-aged musicians and 8 weeks of events?  Those are not the behaviors of a competitive business venture.

A performance ensemble like BDEntertainment might be what you had in mind.

24 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Far off subject so I'll say first:

Blah blah blah Vic Firth and Zildjian blah blah blah George Hopkins. 

Now that's taken care of so here is where I get confused. Wouldn't every major university sports team be in constant peril if this same type of status change? They charge for tickets, concessions, swag, etc. And they are competing in the open marketplace with any stadium concert that would come through town. I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack so forgive me if I'm way off base with the question, but the line is so blurry.

Are school sports teams considered non-profits groups on their own or part of the school and how ever the school has itself set regarding nonprofit status?

Interested how DCI has itself defined so that it can be designed nonprofit by irs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

(a) What is the actual main focus of the university? Football or Accademic Education in multiple desciplines?

(b) What is the actual main focus of DCI, not the stated mission, but the actual main focus? Charitable Youth Services or Commercial Entertainment?

You are mixing metaphors.

DCI is to drum corps as the NCAA is to college football.  And if the NCAA enjoys non-profit status, why should DCI worry?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You are mixing metaphors.

DCI is to drum corps as the NCAA is to college football.  And if the NCAA enjoys non-profit status, why should DCI worry?

And that's where my main question comes from (although to my understanding, at some point in the future, college athletes may share in some of the profits soon enough.) I don't have the time to break down the verbiage of the mission statements at this time but I will try to sometime tomorrow. As I've stated several times, FAR smarter people than myself will come to a conclusion which will hopefully engage the 2 active brain cells I have remaining.

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Are school sports teams considered non-profits groups on their own or part of the school and how ever the school has itself set regarding nonprofit status?

Interested how DCI has itself defined so that it can be designed nonprofit by irs.

I wonder the same. I would think they would all fall under the NCAA which is non-profit. I would not think that the individual teams would have to claim their own non-profit status as long as they fell under the umbrella of the NCAA and I wouldn't think the University's status would impact that either. But again, I simply don't know. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I wonder the same. I would think they would all fall under the NCAA which is non-profit. I would not think that the individual teams would have to claim their own non-profit status as long as they fell under the umbrella of the NCAA and I wouldn't think the University's status would impact that either. But again, I simply don't know. 

And to keep it Corps related... two years DCA was at the Naval Academy stadium which sold food, drink and Naval Academy related items (think that’s where I got my US Navy  sports cap that says Drum Corps). So how would renting school stadium to outside entities like DCI or DCA affect the nonprofit picture

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Stu said:

(a) What is the actual main focus of the university? Football or Accademic Education in multiple desciplines?

Depends on who you talk to from August to January LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Heck.... until 2015, the NFL league office (not the individual teams) was considered a "non-profit."  LOL

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And to keep it Corps related... two years DCA was at the Naval Academy stadium which sold food, drink and Naval Academy related items (think that’s where I got my US Navy  sports cap that says Drum Corps). So how would renting school stadium to outside entities like DCI or DCA affect the nonprofit picture

The Naval Academy Athletic Association, which is a 501C3 non-profit,  operates the football stadium:

https://navysports.com/sports/2018/5/23/ot-what-is-naaa-html.aspx

And man, if I had a nickel for every time I've been asked "where is the stadium located on the Naval Academy grounds?"   LOL.  It's not at the Academy... it's in the city of Annapolis itself.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Depends on who you talk to from August to January LOL

As a college football junkie, I assume the kids are going to class until semester break.  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring