A year ago today

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Referencing the issue that began one year ago. Do you all realize that according to the charges, and if found to be true, no 'youth' were ever in danger.

Too bad that wasn’t the only corps found to have problems. 

As for punishing the innocent it happens all the time which doesn’t make it right but it happens. Had to tell elderly people in my church they had to get clearances to work with kids or they couldn’t do it anymore. Not fair to them and it hurt some of them. But had to make changes to cut down on the chances of someone slipping thru the cracks. And all I could do to show I felt for them was to go thru the clearance process myself even though I didn’t work with church youth. (I was VP of council, what the hell was I thinking when I said yes?)

Instead of throwing flame at people like me who agree with schools being over careful what would you suggest to help with the problem?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Referencing the issue that began one year ago. Do you all realize that according to the charges, and if found to be true, no 'youth' were ever in danger

Okay. Then rather than go back and forth, start a personal crusade to change the hearts and minds of the boards and school districts and whatever organizations help to make the decisions. If you can, you'll probably be a hero. 

In the immortal words of Billy Joel...."Dream On, but don't expect that they'll come true."

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You already know the answer to the question you pose Stu. Baiting people to fall into a verbal trap isn't going to change the fact that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with a specific corps and whether or not that corps has been called out on issues past or present. Your point of it not being fair is well taken and I would say probably most people would agree with it. What we will probably never all agree on is whether or not "fair" should enter the picture. I don't think it's "fair" either. Luckily, I don't have a part to play in that decision. 

Ok, but it was in reference to a decision by the school on what is best for their own students. What I am pointing out is that there are hundreds of positives concerning housing Academy for the students, and that there is a possibility there may be, might be, a sexual preditor amongst them is an irrational fear.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Ok, but it was in reference to a decision by the school on what is best for their own students. What I am pointing out is that there are hundreds of positives concerning housing Academy for the students, and that there is a possibility there may be, might be, a sexual preditor amongst them is an irrational fear

Whether a fear is irrational or not isn't something I cannot decide for someone else. I have an irrational fear of needles and red-heads. Both could very easily kill me given the right set of circumstances. Irrational, yes! But try telling my brain that or convincing me otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ok, but it was in reference to a decision by the school on what is best for their own students. What I am pointing out is that there are hundreds of positives concerning housing Academy for the students, and that there is a possibility there may be, might be, a sexual preditor amongst them is an irrational fear.

All I’ll say to the irrational fear part is “it only takes one person”. And one worst case action wipes out all the good. 

I understand your frustration but like I said before, to correct this the activity needs to show positive steps in combating predators and other issues. Basically saying schools are wrong for considering the issue is not going to help imo

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Too bad that wasn’t the only corps found to have problems. 

As for punishing the innocent it happens all the time which doesn’t make it right but it happens. Had to tell elderly people in my church they had to get clearances to work with kids or they couldn’t do it anymore. Not fair to them and it hurt some of them. But had to make changes to cut down on the chances of someone slipping thru the cracks.

Having the elderly get clearence is correct and prudent, not punisment. Telling them that they could no longer work with kids even with clearence because an elderly person at another church is under indictment would be punishing them. Just like not housing Academy based on the sins of another corps is punishing the innocent.

Edited by Stu

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Whether a fear is irrational or not isn't something I cannot decide for someone else. I have an irrational fear of needles and red-heads. Both could very easily kill me given the right set of circumstances. Irrational, yes! But try telling my brain that or convincing me otherwise. 

But if you were in charge of saying yes/no to housing a corps, and the members of their guard is mostly redheads, and the corps director takes injections for diabetes, would you say no to them based on your irrational fears?

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

All I’ll say to the irrational fear part is “it only takes one person”. And one worst case action wipes out all the good. 

I understand your frustration but like I said before, to correct this the activity needs to show positive steps in combating predators and other issues. Basically saying schools are wrong for considering the issue is not going to help imo

I never said schools were wrong for considering the issue, I said it is wrong for them to punish the innocent based on the sins of others.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

But if you were in charge of saying yes/no to housing a corps, and the members of their guard is mostly redheads, and the corps director takes injections for diabetes, would you say no to them based on your irrational fears?

LOL. No I would not. But that's my personal decision. Their decisions and the reasoning behind them are their own. 

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Too bad that wasn’t the only corps found to have problems..

...Instead of throwing flame at people like me who agree with schools being over careful what would you suggest to help with the problem?

Deal with the few specific corps and do not punish the overwhelming majority of innocent corps. That is how to help.