A year ago today

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. No I would not. But that's my personal decision. Their decisions and the reasoning behind them are their own. 

Yes it is their own decision. But it is still irrational for them to punish the overwhelming majority of innocent corps for the sins of a few others.

Just now, Stu said:

Deal with the few specific corps and do not punish the overwhelming majority of innocent corps. That is how to help

I would LOVE for that to be the way that things work. But I think we are all smart enough to know that in order for that to happen, the corps have to make changes (which most if not all have done,) to show that preventable measures have been taken and then DCI has to show the same type of forward thinking progress. 

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Deal with the few specific corps and do not punish the overwhelming majority of innocent corps. That is how to help.

So it is the job of the schools to know which corps haven’t had any problems (so far)?

I will say it one LAST time... it is NOT the job of the schools to run background checks on corps asking to use their facilities. And beating the schools for their decisions is not going to help.

My suggestion is DCI keep working on their procedures, follow thru and show the schools that problems of the past have remained in the past. 

Yes it is not fair and the world is like that. So instead of bashing the schools how about some positive suggestions 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My suggestion is DCI keep working on their procedures, follow thru and show the schools that problems of the past have remained in the past

That...right there.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would LOVE for that to be the way that things work. But I think we are all smart enough to know that in order for that to happen, the corps have to make changes (which most if not all have done,) to show that preventable measures have been taken and then DCI has to show the same type of forward thinking progress. 

You whacked me earlier for asking a rhetorical question about Academy, but again, how have their policies up to this point been defecient in showing they do not have prudent checks already in effect?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

You whacked me earlier for asking a rhetorical question about Academy, but again, how have their policies up to this point been defecient in showing they do not have prudent checks already in effect?

So first, I don't believe that I "whacked" you. I believe you're made of stronger stuff than that, but apologize if you truly feel that way. Secondly the question was not presented in a rhetorical fashion. It was a direct question which was answered directly and with consideration. 

Now, to this specific post, Academy to my personal knowledge has done nothing wrong. We've established that it isn't about fair. I also eluded to what I believe was a clear and very much personal opinion that the corps AND DCI had to show that changes have been made with the intention of eliminating issues moving forward. Academy doing excellent work to effect change within their own organization is unfortunately only half of the solution as I see it. 

40 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So first, I don't believe that I "whacked" you. I believe you're made of stronger stuff than that, but apologize if you truly feel that way. Secondly the question was not presented in a rhetorical fashion. It was a direct question which was answered directly and with consideration. 

Now, to this specific post, Academy to my personal knowledge has done nothing wrong. We've established that it isn't about fair. I also eluded to what I believe was a clear and very much personal opinion that the corps AND DCI had to show that changes have been made with the intention of eliminating issues moving forward. Academy doing excellent work to effect change within their own organization is unfortunately only half of the solution as I see it. 

Tried to make a light joke on the whacking but guess it did not work. 🙄

But to me this response of yours would be akin to having all the schools involved in the NCAA, as well as the NCAA itself, none of which ever had any issues, who already had policies in place which were working, revamp and show proof their revisions will prevent another Penn State issue when they had nothing to do with it in the first place. Action based on public misperception of optics trumping actual truth is, to me, not the correct answer.

Edited by Stu

With many schools, it's not the facts. it's perception. The districts/admins/boards really don't want to defend themselves to the constituents or media, they don't want to have the potential for making waves. Even if they are correct in their facts, even if this problem wasn't as widespread as it might appear to some individuals, many people will still feel it was a bad decision and get on the district's case.

It might not be a skeptical or logical issue personally where I'm concerned, but many cases go unreported or unknown. I have a gut feeling the issue is bigger than some think it is. I have a feeling more may go public later.

Edited by BigW

4 minutes ago, BigW said:

With many schools, it's not the facts. it's perception. The districts/admins/boards really don't want to defend themselves to the constituents or media, they don't want to have the potential for making waves. Even of they are correct in their facts, even if this problem wasn't as widespread as it might appear to some individuals, many people will still feel it was a bad decision and get on district's case.

It might not be a skeptical or logical issue personally where I'm concerned, but many cases go unreported or unknown. I have a gut feeling the issue is bigger than some think it is. I have a feeling more may go public later.

And I have a gut feeling that sexual abuse of minors, and known convicted sex felons being on staff, was/is very, very rare, or completely nonexistent, in an overwhelming majority of the DCI corps from 1972 to present. Nor were/are there any systemic Cardinal Law type cover-ups from any of the DCI admins or the corps directors/boards either.

• Confused 1