Bush 2019

The solution that would have worked best would have been to take the show into the gym for a standstill. I would have been thrilled with something like that. 2 of the past 3 regular season shows for me have been rain-outs. Last year in Nazareth, I checked my E-Mail, and YEA said it was a go. I had already paid 45 bucks for the ticket and drove 100 miles one way to find out the whole thing was finished. No E-Mail updates, and no way to use the high school gym. A Mom and daughter came down from Long Island to see their family member perform with Sun and had to turn around. 

This time, only 25 bucks for the ticket and sitting in my car sweltering and nodding off for over an hour before any decision was reached. The message to me is this: unless the show hosts state there the show will be moved indoors in the event of inclement weather, will I buy a ticket online unless the forecast is pretty strong it will be safe? I've already lost 70 bucks. I'll  just say it was a fat donation to both YEA and the Bucs. I've driven 270 miles now for nothing 2 of the last three contests in the regular season.

Message: Take the show in the gym and give the fans that made the effort to come SOMETHING. Have insurance or whatever to cover the gym fee, or take it to the stage! 

Right now, it's not the performers and the show design that's ticking me off about DCA. It's the little things like this that are killing it for me. As I have said recently.... should I go to a regular season show unless I have a family member in the corps or I'm an alumni member of the contest host? The answer is increasingly becoming a big fat NO. 

Edited by BigW

6 hours ago, JohnZ said:

one of those 'then v now' things, but I remember many a show that went on despite the weather.  I've lost one or both shoes in a mud bog on the field, watched funnel clouds pass overhead, saw lightning strike the light poles, and played in total deluges where you couldn't see the stands, and vice versa.....God we were total idiots back then!

in a Facebook discussion, people are complaining it was cancelled..."no lightning at the site". Well I live 30 minutes away and we had lightning til 11 PM. So imagine if that had shifted directions while the show was going on. Future Track forecasts on your weather.com app on your phone arent the gospel.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, camel lips said:

No member Safety in 2006 during Ernesto at Semi Finals. I remember the words coming down from DCA that the show will go on no matter what and marching in the middle of Hurricane Ernesto. Our DM Almost got blown of the podium 4 or 5 times. It was really NOT a safe thing to do. They could have just given us a phone in score like they did anyways. 

and maybe DCA finally learned a lesson that day

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

in a Facebook discussion, people are complaining it was cancelled..."no lightning at the site". Well I live 30 minutes away and we had lightning til 11 PM. So imagine if that had shifted directions while the show was going on. Future Track forecasts on your weather.com app on your phone arent the gospel.

I have no qualms whatsoever about not being outside. That's not the issue for me. The issue is having some contingency plans and not just sending everyone home. 

Nowadays with props, electronics...physicality on the field, it's a no brainer to not go outside. It should also be a no brainer to have a way to perform for the fans indoors.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigW said:

The solution that would have worked best would have been to take the show into the gym for a standstill. I would have been thrilled with something like that. 2 of the past 3 regular season shows for me have been rain-outs. Last year in Nazareth, I checked my E-Mail, and YEA said it was a go. I had already paid 45 bucks for the ticket and drove 100 miles one way to find out the whole thing was finished. No E-Mail updates, and no way to use the high school gym. A Mom and daughter came down from Long Island to see their family member perform with Sun and had to turn around. 

This time, only 25 bucks for the ticket and sitting in my car sweltering and nodding off for over an hour before any decision was reached. The message to me is this: unless the show hosts state there the show will be moved indoors in the event of inclement weather, will I buy a ticket online unless the forecast is pretty strong it will be safe? I've already lost 70 bucks. I'll  just say it was a fat donation to both YEA and the Bucs. I've driven 270 miles now for nothing 2 of the last three contests in the regular season.

Message: Take the show in the gym and give the fans that made the effort to come SOMETHING. Have insurance or whatever to cover the gym fee, or take it to the stage! 

Right now, it's not the performers and the show design that's ticking me off about DCA. It's the little things like this that are killing it for me. As I have said recently.... should I go to a regular season show unless I have a family member in the corps or I'm an alumni member of the contest host? The answer is increasingly becoming a big fat NO. 

however....knowing that gym well...logistical nightmare.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

however....knowing that gym well...logistical nightmare.

Well, again... unless I see some reasonable weather forecast, Do I bother anymore? It's taken years but this is becoming a tipping point for me.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I've been watching that discussion - definitely a real danger given the unpredictability of the weather lately and especially the way the storm fronts have been coming across PA in waves,

coincidentally, watched the Coke 400 race here over the weekend, postponed until Sunday due to the rain - on Sunday they had a situation where there were storms in the area not directly affecting the track, but their rule is any lightning strikes within 8 miles results in an immediate 30 minute delay.  if another strike occurs within that 30 minutes, the clock recycles.  Lightning does not have to be overhead to be dangerous.

we live just on the edge of that 8 miles and dealt with the lightning they were detecting - a huge tropical storm cell, I spent the afternoon furiously pumping water out of the pool and the back yard.

19 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

I've been watching that discussion - definitely a real danger given the unpredictability of the weather lately and especially the way the storm fronts have been coming across PA in waves,

coincidentally, watched the Coke 400 race here over the weekend, postponed until Sunday due to the rain - on Sunday they had a situation where there were storms in the area not directly affecting the track, but their rule is any lightning strikes within 8 miles results in an immediate 30 minute delay.  if another strike occurs within that 30 minutes, the clock recycles.  Lightning does not have to be overhead to be dangerous.

we live just on the edge of that 8 miles and dealt with the lightning they were detecting - a huge tropical storm cell, I spent the afternoon furiously pumping water out of the pool and the back yard.

2 years ago at this venue, it rained during the show...around us was horrific storms...just an hour south faced historic flooding.....we had at worst, light rain as corps performed. True story...Friday afternoon, while working in the 17050 zip code, it was raining sideways. 7 miles away at my home in 17055, they got sprinkles. You just never know anymore. Sure it sucks for planning to attend, but i am at the point where no matter how bad I want to see a show, i'm not parking my ### out in a situation that could be bad. And if moved inside, i am going home...drum corps in a high school gym? Nope.

ultimate kicker...came home, plugged in FLO...and Orlando turned into a standstill.  #### that. my wife binged on the Office all night, I read a book

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

2 years ago at this venue, it rained during the show...around us was horrific storms...just an hour south faced historic flooding.....we had at worst, light rain as corps performed. True story...Friday afternoon, while working in the 17050 zip code, it was raining sideways. 7 miles away at my home in 17055, they got sprinkles. You just never know anymore. Sure it sucks for planning to attend, but i am at the point where no matter how bad I want to see a show, i'm not parking my ### out in a situation that could be bad. And if moved inside, i am going home...drum corps in a high school gym? Nope.

ultimate kicker...came home, plugged in FLO...and Orlando turned into a standstill.  #### that. my wife binged on the Office all night, I read a book

70 bucks, 270 miles of driving, Jeff. Not counting meals. This has taken awhile to fester. In other words, don't buy a ticket until the forecasts are showing good weather. Lesson learned here, but maybe DCA needs to learn one too. The road goes both ways.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

2 years ago at this venue, it rained during the show...around us was horrific storms...just an hour south faced historic flooding.....we had at worst, light rain as corps performed.

Day of 1992 DCA Finals in Scranton, it rained on and off all day... until about an hour before showtime. Nothing for the entire show, then more rain after that.  My brother had driven in from NJ to catch the show, and told me it had been steadily raining until he was about 15-20 minutes from the stadium.

It was as if someone put a dome over the stadium area. :laughing:

I'm with W on this, however. I do agree with the idea of having an indoor standstill if feasible. Yes, it's a PITA for all concerned, and a number of folks will go home instead (like last summer at Woodbridge) .... but at least it's something for the fans who want to stick around. (Like last summer at Woodbridge.  LOL).