Bush 2019

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure. I'm just saying that there are snakes pretty much everywhere, and there's no way for a school to prevent them from appearing.

(Nor should they want to. Snakes eat pests.)

I live in Tennessee so I'm used to them. Even marching in high school 30+ years ago we occasionally ran into them (though usually just big king snakes.) Never had a problem in DCI or DCA (though the banana and huntsman spiders in Orlando and Ocala on tour  were 10x creepier than snakes.)

I think that sort of thing is more shock factor and reaction than true substance of perceived danger. I can't really blame people for that. But it's true that it's almost unavoidable. Now if you were practicing by woods and saw some coyote, then that's a whole lotta nope. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

... though the banana and huntsman spiders ... were 10x creepier than snakes.  

Totally agree about this! I do not like spiders. (In person. In the abstract, I recognize they're great.)

On 6/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Some troll ran Jim off.  It’s a shame because he’s a super nice guy and was a positive contributor.

Thanks all for the nice comments but need to clear up something. It started as a troll on a subject I don’t think I should mention and ended with a response on a “not so Private” PM from upper management that broke it for me. My PM to UM included the words “I have annual training on this” which maybe got taken the wrong way. I meant that I wasn’t pulling things out of my butt but maybe was taken that I was a know it all. What I got back included “I’ve had training too so no sense discussing (arguing? forget exact word) it”. I took that as “shut up due to possible legal issues” but didn’t bother to verify. Given seriousness of the subject I decided not to play in their sandbox anymore as felt like if I continued it would be condoning. 

I do get on here to check DCA shows and corps and happened to notice this. BTW speaking of bears my dads house in on a mountain east of Harrisburg. Sis had a car problem last week as she checked the house. Problem was bear between her and the car.

kafjrf@verizon.net if questions as logging back off 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure. I'm just saying that there are snakes pretty much everywhere, and there's no way for a school to prevent them from appearing.

(Nor should they want to. Snakes eat pests.)

scan0001.jpg

thats why you should pick good championship venues.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks all for the nice comments but need to clear up something. It started as a troll on a subject I don’t think I should mention and ended with a response on a “not so Private” PM from upper management that broke it for me. My PM to UM included the words “I have annual training on this” which maybe got taken the wrong way. I meant that I wasn’t pulling things out of my butt but maybe was taken that I was a know it all. What I got back included “I’ve had training too so no sense discussing (arguing? forget exact word) it”. I took that as “shut up due to possible legal issues” but didn’t bother to verify. Given seriousness of the subject I decided not to play in their sandbox anymore as felt like if I continued it would be condoning. 

I do get on here to check DCA shows and corps and happened to notice this. BTW speaking of bears my dads house in on a mountain east of Harrisburg. Sis had a car problem last week as she checked the house. Problem was bear between her and the car.

kafjrf@verizon.net if questions as logging back off 

good news....the uh person you were debating with is is no longer here. he admitted to trolling, and well, boom.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now if you were practicing by woods and saw some coyote, then that's a whole lotta nope. 

Interesting you mention this. Last Friday around 3AM I was headed to deposit my paycheck near HACC (Harrisburg Area Community College) when I turned in near it and a very funny looking dog pranced across the 4 lanes leading to HACC across from the PA Farm Show Complex. 

Went through the mental list as I hit the brakes- Wasn't a fox. Seen them up where I work (Both are known as Big and Little Clyde to the UPS crews) and driving in West By God Virginia. Way too big and not red. Way too small for a Wolf and the legs were too stumpy. Dang if it wasn't a Coyote. Looks like they've crossed the Susquehanna River now from Perry County.

12 hours ago, BigW said:

Interesting you mention this. Last Friday around 3AM I was headed to deposit my paycheck near HACC (Harrisburg Area Community College) when I turned in near it and a very funny looking dog pranced across the 4 lanes leading to HACC across from the PA Farm Show Complex. 

Went through the mental list as I hit the brakes- Wasn't a fox. Seen them up where I work (Both are known as Big and Little Clyde to the UPS crews) and driving in West By God Virginia. Way too big and not red. Way too small for a Wolf and the legs were too stumpy. Dang if it wasn't a Coyote. Looks like they've crossed the Susquehanna River now from Perry County.

no as they keep building in Susquehanna Twp, as well as up the river, they keep migrating

On 7/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yeppers. Rattle Snake, Pygmy Rattle Snake, Copperhead and Cotton Mouth. We do have a lot of black widows, albino black widows and brown recluse though. Anytime I bring wood into the shop, especially dark woods like rosewood or ebony, I check for spiders first.

welcome to Floriduh.  all of these plus corals, pythons...bees, ants....alligators, sharks.  pretty much everything here wants to either poison you or eat you...everything except for the tourists - I think.

Coral snakes - fairly docile and very pretty reptile.  caught one that got in to our pool enclosure a few years ago.  hated to dispatch him, but entirely too close to the family and pets.

you all do remind me of many animals and reptiles we encountered over the many years on the practice and competition fields - thankfully I don't recall anyone getting hurt from the encounters, they just added to the drum corps story.

Speaking of which - are we done talking about Bush 2019?  ....asking for a friend.....

Not much to talk about considering that the show was rained out, John and that they were incomplete at Milton. It appears some people who joined the board recently enjoy idle speculation and ginning up false hype and think the DCA side of the board acts the same as the DCI side of the board.