Judges wandering on field

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Already did.

And it's not that I'm opposed to drum judges being on the field, it's that I fully appreciate not having people that aren't rehearsed to the show being inside the forms.

I appreciate your concern, of course, but it replaces judging competence with institutional arrogance about what is "safe" in the activity.

I'd be more convinced if presented with one, just one, actual incident of a judge interfering with a member or performance in the last 20 years.

The only one I'm familiar with is a judge restoring a winning performance by retrieving and delivering equipment BACK to performers, thereby justifying their presence on the field but, actuall, demanding it.

Members put themselves out on the edge in every performance; judges have the same capability because of their age and experience, not despite it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

100%

And thank you.

You are of the opinion that safety was an excuse used to actually employ a system by which drum adjudication could be less objective?  Like a conspiracy?... For what purpose, to what end and to the benefit of whom?

On 7/2/2019 at 7:16 AM, cfirwin3 said:

False choice.

Corps are responsible now to stage their work to have it seen by the judges.  Nobody can argue that they deserve credit for what a judge can't see and a judge won't withhold credit on the assumption of the unseen... they reward what they do see.

"...their work..." (the REAL nub of this discussion) was always "staged" to be seen by judges.  

Since. The. Very. Beginning.

Just now, garfield said:

I appreciate your concern, of course, but it replaces judging competence with institutional arrogance about what is "safe" in the activity.

I'd be more convinced if one, just one, actual incidence of a judge interfering with a member or performance in the last 20 years.

The only one I'm familiar with is a judge restoring a winning performance by retrieving and delivering equipment BACK to performers, thereby justifying their presence on the field but, actuall, demanding it.

Members put themselves out on the edge in every performance; judges have the same capability because of their age and experience, not despite it.

Age and experience is no substitute for rehearsal.  I think that staff members were seeing judges creep and dodge into places that even they don't go during rehearsal (and that's with experience of the show).

On 7/2/2019 at 7:25 AM, rpbobcat said:

A couple of questions:

1. What is the "working relationship"  between DCI and their Judges ?

Are they "paid consultants" ,"seasonal employees" or something else.

2.if DCI determines that a Judge is not following this rule,what are the mechanisms 

to address the situation ?

I would hope  it would be similar to a lot businesses,namely:

A.Warning

B.Suspension

C.Termination 

You are optimistic.

Just now, garfield said:

"...their work..." (the REAL nub of this discussion) was always "staged" to be seen by judges.  

Since. The. Very. Beginning.

So there's no reason for judges to enter the forms (which they do).

21 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

So there's no reason for judges to enter the forms (which they do).

But the risk is minimal!  And what about the props and drill?  And what exactly is two yards anyway?

Of course what they really mean is "what about my hype tape" ?  

No judge should be putting a marcher at risk.  Ever.  

And the rule does not preclude a judge from acting to preserve that safety (ie helping an injured performer or retrieving a snare drum).

There's no point in discussing this any further.  

I'm just glad the instructors and director acted to get them off the field.

21 minutes ago, karuna said:

And the rule does not preclude a judge from acting to preserve that safety (ie helping an injured performer or retrieving a snare drum).

At the expense of proper and accurate judging unfortunately 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, karuna said:

So, you've said your piece and now it's "settled science", eh?

• Thanks 1

Just now, garfield said:

So, you've said your piece and now it's "settled science", eh?

Hardly.  But if the the great and powerful Ream admits that it's "minimal risk" IF the hockey puck judge is properly trained (which means they're going memorize the drill to every show they judge, anticipate every drill move, and don't let themselves lose track of where they are in the show, which anyone who's ever taught drill will admit is impossible to do )  they've pretty much conceded.  

It's pretty easy to agree that no judge should be putting ANY performer at risk.  It's a pretty simple idea ; even a drummer can understand it :peek: :bighug: