Judges wandering on field

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, not as a conspiracy.  That's your word, not mine.

It's hard to claim "safety" as the issue when the issue being referenced has a history of 100% safety.

Taking the drum judge off the field has zero to do with safety, IMO, but it's become a convenient excuse for ulterior motives, again, IMO.

Ulterior motives?  Explain.

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It seems to me there is a lot less escape room out there in recent years, what with props everywhere and more marchers.  So I'm not sure how dispositive we should consider the fact that no one has been hurt yet.

They flew the Challenger in '86 because in spite of the known risk of gas blow by on the joint seals... they had never blown up a transport system.

Bad logic.

Edited by cfirwin3

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And I would agree with this 1000%. But let's also face the fact that are some who would then argue that a rule was broken by the judge entering the field, regardless of their intention. People like to argue just to see themselves type. 

Oh yes people would complain a judge with the best intentions was wrong. It’s drum corps and complain is what we do second best 

2 hours ago, karuna said:

Of course what they really mean is "what about my hype tape" ?  

No judge should be putting a marcher at risk.  Ever.  

And the rule does not preclude a judge from acting to preserve that safety (ie helping an injured performer or retrieving a snare drum).

There's no point in discussing this any further.  

I'm just glad the instructors and director acted to get them off the field.

No staff members should put kids at risk they they do more and more with crazy visual demands and props. Where’s your pearl clutching over that? Because that’s far more of an issue than ever 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Hardly.  But if the the great and powerful Ream admits that it's "minimal risk" IF the hockey puck judge is properly trained (which means they're going memorize the drill to every show they judge, anticipate every drill move, and don't let themselves lose track of where they are in the show, which anyone who's ever taught drill will admit is impossible to do )  they've pretty much conceded.  

It's pretty easy to agree that no judge should be putting ANY performer at risk.  It's a pretty simple idea ; even a drummer can understand it :peek: :bighug:

The great and less powerful Ream than you think has talked to many people with skin in the game and join their opinion that the rule change is purely visual caption driven 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

No staff members should put kids at risk they they do more and more with crazy visual demands and props. Where’s your pearl clutching over that? Because that’s far more of an issue than ever 

More deflection.  Let’s talk about anything but the fact that percussion judges put members at risk. No judge should do that.  

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

No... That question will be ignored.  It requires the admission of a tin foil hat.

I’ve said it several times. Reading comprehension fails you 

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

The great and less powerful Ream than you think has talked to many people with skin in the game and join their opinion that the rule change is purely visual caption driven 

Visual caption driven?  What's the benefit?