PECKVILLE - Live Stream

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Talent is also an issue. Bodies are also an issue. The Bucs field 60 horns every season. Anyone else close to that? Maybe CV? In several of these cases... you design to "Bucs level", you'll over-design the program and fail on an epic level. One must design for who they have, not what they should have or wish they had, or had the Bucs' performers.

The top 5-8 in DCA is a different animal than DCI. The Cabs surge this season is a pleasant surprise. With the demise of C2... pre-season, the thought was only CV could take a hard=core crack at the Bucs. The real competition in DCA is usually in the 3-4 to 7-8 spots in Open. That's where the Judges earn their keep.

Would it be nice to see 4-5 other corps really extend to the Bucs Level? YES. But that takes a lot of things falling into line. A LOT.

Understood that corps such a Sky, Hurcs, Tradition, etc., would be shooting themselves in the foot by over programming, however perennial top five programs, that are looking to make some inroads against the total lack of parity that has more or less existed since 2005, have to make more of an effort to give their folks a fighting chance.  Bushwackers had a small corps last season, but that did not stop them from presenting a compelling program, and we have had DCA champs in the past with hornlines that hovered around the 40’ish mark.  If the Bucs can field a corps of 60’ish horns, with a base talent level, and a show that at least approaches the modern paradigm of the activity, the fact that everyone else cannot is killing the circuit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

only sampled the DCA corps, not watching anyone in their entirety. Corps are mostly smaller in number of members, and the winner was the correct choice. Watched Atlanta CV earlier at the DCI event.  Their percussion section is large and talented. About 50 brass, I think. Big guard. Musical program was a little “reserved” for my taste, but Atlanta CV is a lock for a podium finish in Williamsport from my very limited, living room perspective.

Watching at the Atlanta show, I would agree with this. As a vet, I want them to play something a little more "in your face." The musical selection over the last few years feels like they're trying to "find their new sound" and build a dynasty type of program. I roughly counted (remember I'm a drummer so this count is questionable since I ran out of fingers and toes,) 52 Brass, 27 percussion and 22 guard. The numbers are solid enough. I did see at least 2 brass holes. 

It may have been a rough run for CV last night at DCI SE Regional. I saw a LOT of dirt in the feet and also heard some tuning issues. I think the next hurdle for CV is going to be to put together 1 REALLY special show to compete with Bucs. I don't think this is that year...I'm thinking 3rd and hoping 2nd. LOTS of cleaning to do in the next few weeks. 

One thing that I said when I was marching and that I still believe today. It's hard to truly make a run at the top dog when you don't run in the same races. I know it's a budget buster to go up north (and this year really hurt with the rain out,) but more head to head competition to me would be a secret sauce that can't be replaced. Just my personal opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

You got to do what you feel. I didn't know the Blue Coats had that crowd cam set up at Chester in 2014, and well... you just got to do what you feel. The members don't give a flip if you blocked the feed, they needed to see you into their performance. :satisfied:

It was between corps 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oops I was laughing that guy looked like you from the back. Well whadda know. 

My though was problem was Box5 for having camera too low if they had that problem to begin with. At least you only stood when field was empty

Two levels to the box and judges had the higher one. It’s my fault I bought a ticket where the 50 and my ### crack were in perfect sync

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Drboned said:

At the viewing party I was at, questions came up that quickly led to speculation. Would a spokesperson for this corps be able to answer these questions?

~ Bucs march mostly DCI age-outs?

~ If you march Bucs brass line you are guaranteed a spot in Crown or Boston?

~ same for Bushwackers percussion and Crown. 

~ Why are the brass sections of these DCA corps not as “professional” looking and sounding as the drum and front lines? This includes Bucs and Cabs. Do they rehearse m&m less?

~ What is it that Fusion is doing that Hurcs aren’t?  Many of us thought Hurricanes sounded better than Fusion. We were all surprised to see Fusion’s Brass beating White Sabers brass.  Lots of dropped phrases in Adagio for Strings and certainly more awkward brass tone production than Hurcs and White Sabers.

I’m in the medical field and have a handful of music training. I play in a community band here in NJ that has lots of drum corps talk going on during breaks. And during rehearsals. That’s to say, I’m up on my drum corps knowledge and I have eyes and ears. What am I missing with some of these obvious misplaced sections and drum corps  

I appreciate the enlightenment.  

No guaranteed spots anywhere 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Two levels to the box and judges had the higher one. It’s my fault I bought a ticket where the 50 and my ### crack were in perfect sync

At least no ones telling you that ya need a haircut.... talk about a close up lol

2 hours ago, Drboned said:

At the viewing party I was at, questions came up that quickly led to speculation. Would a spokesperson for this corps be able to answer these questions?

~ Bucs march mostly DCI age-outs?

~ If you march Bucs brass line you are guaranteed a spot in Crown or Boston?

~ same for Bushwackers percussion and Crown. 

~ Why are the brass sections of these DCA corps not as “professional” looking and sounding as the drum and front lines? This includes Bucs and Cabs. Do they rehearse m&m less?

~ What is it that Fusion is doing that Hurcs aren’t?  Many of us thought Hurricanes sounded better than Fusion. We were all surprised to see Fusion’s Brass beating White Sabers brass.  Lots of dropped phrases in Adagio for Strings and certainly more awkward brass tone production than Hurcs and White Sabers.

I’m in the medical field and have a handful of music training. I play in a community band here in NJ that has lots of drum corps talk going on during breaks. And during rehearsals. That’s to say, I’m up on my drum corps knowledge and I have eyes and ears. What am I missing with some of these obvious misplaced sections and drum corps  

I appreciate the enlightenment.  

In order to debunk the “guaranteed” DCI World Class spot theory, one simply needs to ask one’s self, “Why would a World Class DCI corps such as Boston or Crown, who routinely turn away enough applicants to field an entire DCA corps, need to enter into a reciprocal agreement with ANY DCA corps?”.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, VOReason said:

In order to debunk the “guaranteed” DCI World Class spot theory, one simply needs to ask one’s self, “Why would a World Class DCI corps such as Boston or Crown, who routinely turn away enough applicants to field an entire DCA corps, need to enter into a reciprocal agreement with ANY DCA corps?”.

Good point. Though some would say that that's what "feeder" corps such as BDB were for. Though with the costs mounting, we seem to be losing many of those corps. I would think corps at the top of the DCI heap would be less apt to have a need for a DCA corps to feed them. Still, if it could happen, it would be a real boost to the activity. 

Battery and Front Ensemble (as well as guard) have the very real advantage of WGI to keep their skills sharp during the "off season." To my knowledge, there is nothing resembling this type of activity for brass. I don't follow WGI because I don't have anyone close to me in town that travels to WGI shows. I'm a drummer (read "pack creature) so I require creatures of my kind to bond with. 

2 hours ago, VOReason said:

My observation after watching two of those DCA corps yesterday on Flo from Atlanta. Both had people too old or in poor physical condition laboring throughout.

Seattle Cascades will most likely be 22nd in Open Class followed them and was noticeably a step up. When Ramon ask why the corps are so small Stephan said it’s probably because they have their Championships on Labor Day weekend.

Aren’t the majority of DCA members of like age as those in DCI back in school at that time? That can’t possibly help with recruiting younger high school or college marching band members for those training organizations. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

At least no ones telling you that ya need a haircut.... talk about a close up lol

I thatd be next week