Cadets 2020

12 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Wait, where did he directly belittle the organization’s method of deciding how they announce staff changes? I saw how he belittled some folks around here who seem to cry foul at some rumors being spread but look the other way or be totally fine with others. But nothing about how the organization itself announces these things. I missed that part. 

you misread my post - "the idea/belief THAT an organization should be able to..."

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think this mostly applies to all the ones #####ing about rumors being posted. People have been perfectly calm as they speculate who may or may not be leaving, any "conflict" in this thread is from the white knights jumping in 

actually perhaps your tone is much of the "conflict" - man if people don't feel the way you think they should about something the "debate" just never ends. I'm not sure where all your confidence on subjects comes from - you clearly have never worked, volunteered or marched inside a drum corps organization yet you speak with "absolute authority" on how they should feel about unsubstantiated (and often untrue) rumors being spread about specific individual's JOBS (aka careers)

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

actually perhaps your tone is much of the "conflict" - man if people don't feel the way you think they should about something the "debate" just never ends.

Please don’t try and make it seem like you never do this as well. Many people around here, myself included at times, are guilty of the same thing. That’s generally what happens when people are passionate about a certain topic. It sometimes goes off the rails and I believe we can all do better in trying to avoid that, again myself included.

As for that other stuff about his experience level with drum corps, I’m not typically a fan of this “papers, please” mentality of requiring that someone prove their level of direct involvement with drum corps in order to offer an opinion or even criticism. (Must attend a certain number of shows every year, must contribute x amount of dollars, etc.) There was a time when I felt a bit stronger about it, but not so much anymore. I even challenged Cappybara about it a few years ago when he himself pointed out his lack of experience when talking about inside member/staff/judges stuff.

I wrote: “Sorry to be so blunt, but this would be one of those times when I believe that your complete lack of experience in this regard should probably tell you that you'd be better off not saying anything at all. In this particular instance, if you've never experienced marching in drum corps at the world class level, you'll never truly get it. And yes, I realize that saying such a thing can come off as extremely condescening, but again, in this instance, I think it's true and I stand by it. Experience does occasionally matter when it comes to things we post here.”

Cappy couldn’t have been more gracious in his reply if he tried, writing: “Hey I totally understand. I'm sure this is the type of thing where I have to experience to believe, which is why I never posted after someone told me I need to march to experience it. Unfortunately I'll never get the chance to march even though I'm still within the age to.”

I then reiterated my stance to someone else who responded to me, after which this excellent reply came in from a veteran DCP poster: “I totally agree. But at the same time we can't ‘dismiss’ opinions of folks who haven't marched. A lot of great observations from that perspective also. 

Cappybara is one of our best DCP contributors - we don't always agree, but they are just as valued as anyone else. Everyone seems to get that too.”

I then replied to Cappy, saying: “Thanks for taking my comments in stride, and for not ascribing any ill motives on my part where there were definitely none intended.”

Definitely one of the more civil debates one would see around here, I would say. Cool heads all around.

By the way, that excellent reply from a veteran DCP poster was written by George Dixon. And it truly was an excellent reply. 🙂
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

^ thank you for agreeing with me. No worries.

I was simply staying that it is going around in circles. And no one is dismissing non-marchers views (I never marched) - I was stating that perhaps that's why they don't realize the damage rumors can do internally within the organization itself. That's all. Having been involved internally in several organizations I've seen it first hand.

Edited by George Dixon

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Baltimore's top ambulance chasers are Saiontz and Kirk. "If you have a phone, you have a lawyer!" :lol:

Yeah, but if you have a phone and have recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, you can BE a lawyer.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

actually perhaps your tone is much of the "conflict" - man if people don't feel the way you think they should about something the "debate" just never ends. I'm not sure where all your confidence on subjects comes from - you clearly have never worked, volunteered or marched inside a drum corps organization yet you speak with "absolute authority" on how they should feel about unsubstantiated (and often untrue) rumors being spread about specific individual's JOBS (aka careers)

no offense, but you're doing more to fan the flames than anyone

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think Cappys resume would surprise you, but go ahead and blast people for assuming people's backgrounds while doing it yourself.

Good god no one is blasting anyone