Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

13 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Trashing! please LOL 😂 have you even read your post? Hypocrite comes to mind. I don’t know if there is a need for a weekend circuit let alone an all-age one, but trying to be something they don’t have either the time or money to be just seems odd to me. Like I said I’ve seen videos from the 80’s and 90’s that makes sense, musically entertaining. 

do i blast DCA? yes. Do i want them to survive? yes. Note...i blast the circuit administration. you take shots at the on field product. Huge difference.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Never said it shouldn’t exist and watching organizations trying to be like DCI corps on a weekend rehearsal schedule and small budgets is IMO DCI-lite. The videos I’ve watched from the 80’s and 90’s the corps seemed to have an understanding of their style of drum corps  

Clear to me that both fan and participation interest has diminished.  Perhaps things have just run its course and that’s difficult to accept. 

DCA has been trying to be DCI corps for decades. go back to the late 70's you see it...then more in the 80's, even more in the 90's, and on and on and on

7 hours ago, camel lips said:

When I first read that they were considering voting on the electronic issue I knew the activity was not going to survive. Not too many C2 models out there waiting in the wings that can come in and magically have a full creative staff loaded upfront with the backing to have a full horn line guard equipment and a electronic ensemble and staff to run it.  It did not take a rocket scientist to figure out that one out. 

Your run of the mill SR corps of yesteryear could have started up on a volunteer staff with a shoestring budget with membership paying dues and get by a season or two and be  somewhat competitive as a bottom feeder. They could fund raise to buy equipment and build and start to become stronger and climb the ladder. Today??? Not so much.  

no drum corps, electronics or not, could start up today on a shoestring budget. everything costs too much now, and not just the toys on the field.insurance, facilities, transportation....little is free anymore

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Did a better interpretation in the earlier years not so much these days. Just saying! 

I agree with you.

"Soapbox Moment" here... (at the risk of sounding like a "get off my lawn" fossil...LOL...and at the risk of looking like I'm trashing today's all-age corps, because I'm not. I know how hard those folks work, and their level of passion is certainly equal to that on the DCI side.)

I was in one of those "DCI-style corps" in DCA. We were a corps that was seen as pushing the envelope on the senior/all-age side for years, starting in the late 1960s. 

But it was a different vibe then. Even the so-called "DCI-style corps" like my old team (Sunrisers), plus the Buccaneers, Westshoremen, then later the Bushwackers, had it.  The personality connection with the drum majors, the soloists, etc. An overall more relaxed, more fun, atmosphere... for the corps and fans.

Not there much anymore. Some exceptions, of course.

I gotta figure, if one top DCI corps... Bluecoats, perhaps... lets their drum major turn around and interact with the audience, talk to the fans, whatever... then it will become the biggest thing since sliced bread, and other DCI corps will fall in line, followed by DCA, as usual.

But the thing is.... DCA had that going on, for a long time. (Something like "The Wink" from the Bluecoats soloist a few years back... a sensation in DCI circles when it happened, and it was a really cool thing... but stuff like that used to be routine at DCA shows.)

It was the circuit's calling card, a draw, a difference between it and DCI (let's face it, the all-age corps, by the very "limited time" nature of the beast, will never match the top touring DCI units in terms of overall quality, and that's fine with me)... but with a few exceptions, DCA seemingly has willingly given it up. 

Why? I have no idea.

I'm still a fan. I tip my hat to my friends who are still involved... great folks, and there are a lot of great teachers on the DCA side.  But it's different now.

Jumping off the soapbox. Carry on. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

OK... "Soapbox Moment" here... (at the risk of sounding like a "get off my lawn" fossil...LOL...and at the risk of looking like I'm trashing today's all-age corps, because I'm not. I know how hard those folks work, and their level of passion is certainly equal to that on the DCI side.)

I agree with you.

I was in one of those "DCI-style corps" in DCA. We were a corps that was seen as pushing the envelope on the senior/all-age side for years, starting in the late 1960s. 

But it was a different vibe then. Even the so-called "DCI-style corps" like my old team, plus the Buccaneers, Westshoremen, than later the Bushwackers, had it.  The personality connection with the drum majors, the soloists, etc. An overall more relaxed, more fun, atmosphere... for the corps and fans.

Not there much anymore. Some exceptions, of course.

I gotta figure, if one top DCI corps... Bluecoats, perhaps... lets their drum major turn around and interact with the audience, talk to the fans, whatever... then it will become the biggest thing since sliced bread, and other DCI corps will fall in line, followed by DCA, as usual.

But the thing is.... DCA had that going on, for a long time. (Something like "The Wink" from a few years back... a sensation in DCI circles when it happened, and it was a really cool thing... but stuff like that used to be routine at DCA shows.)

It was the circuit's calling card, a draw, a difference between it and DCI (let's face it, the all-age corps, by the very "limited time" nature of the beast, will never match the top touring DCI units in terms of overall quality, and that's fine with me)... but with a few exceptions, DCA seemingly has willingly given it up. 

Why? I have no idea.

I'm still a fan. I tip my hat to my friends who are still involved... great folks, and there are a lot of great teachers on the DCA side.  But it's different now.

Jumping off the soapbox. Carry on. :tongue:

Maybe it's that old-age-itis setting in, Fran.

In DCA, "the Wink" always referred to the legendary Skyliner's podium king, Walter Winkleman.

In DCI, '"the wink" refers to Shayne O'Brien from Ireland who marched Cadets and then Bloo.

DCA & DCI are not the same, we all agree.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, xandandl said:

In DCA, "the Wink" always referred to the legendary Skyliner's podium king, Walter Winkleman.

In DCI, '"the wink" refers to Shayne O'Brien from Ireland who marched Cadets and then Bloo.

Think Fran just missed Walt W like I did. Our Sky era DM was Butch who had that “clear the ####### field here we come” attitude like rest of the corps. Even my parents said it’s a show just watching them come out. 

DCI is unknown to me.

Hazy memory bitd of a DCI DM pulling out a camera and taking shot of Finals crowd during corps last chord sticks out in my mind. Wish I could remember not so little things like corps and year/decade 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

LOL!!!  I hear ya, I remember well Winky's shortened nickname. :laughing:

That last line... not as much difference as there used to be, and I'm not sure that's always a good thing for DCA.  Good from the standpoint of the quality of teaching, the better rehearsal ethic, the care and treatment of members.... but, to the point of my post, the overall show style/vibe.... not so much.

20 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think Fran just missed Walt W like I did. Our Sky era DM was Butch who had that “clear the ####### field here we come” attitude like rest of the corps. Even my parents said it’s a show just watching them come out. 

DCI is unknown to me.

Hazy memory bitd of a DCI DM pulling out a camera and taking shot of Finals crowd during corps last chord sticks out in my mind. Wish I could remember not so little things like corps and year/decade 

I remember him in front of the 1971 and '72 Skyliners corps... and then circa 1980, when he came out of retirement to be assistant DM to Butch Anderson for a season or two before suffering a stroke. 

Those two Skyliners DMs... two of the all-time great showmen, and conductors, in drum corps.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 2