COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any chance Hoppie will go for a change of venue? Have jury duty coming up and would love the chance to get thrown off the panel.

”does anyone have any preconceived ideas about the defendant... yes, you puking in the corner, you can leave” 

Jury Questionnaire:  

Have you ever participated in any drum corps social media platforms including but not limited to the "Drum Corps Planet" Forum, "Facebook", "Twitter", "Instagram", etc?

Do you have any preconceived feelings or prejudice toward the defendant George J. Hopkins? 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Jury Questionnaire:  

Have you ever participated in any drum corps social media platforms including but not limited to the "Drum Corps Planet" Forum, "Facebook", "Twitter", "Instagram", etc?

Do you have any preconceived feelings or prejudice toward the defendant George J. Hopkins? 

Are you a member of the Cadets Alumni? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Did I miss this story or am I just getting old?

From March 6, 2020 about the defense weighing a possible plea deal for Hopkins:

https://www.wfmz.com/defense-says-accused-former-drums-corps-director-weighing-plea-deal/article_dd768886-5fba-11ea-8ca3-1f5b37107b9c.html

IIRC this was discussed a few pages back.  
In almost every case a plea deal will be offered.  And in some jurisdictions well over 90% of cases are disposed of via plea deal (I have no idea what rate is in PA).  But I have heard prosecutors say that the more work they put in as the case gets closer to trial, the tougher the deal offered becomes. And if the deal is accepted, the accused has to stand in front of judge in open court and confirm their guilt, etc.   

So I  guess we’ll see 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IIRC this was discussed a few pages back.  
In almost every case a plea deal will be offered.  And in some jurisdictions well over 90% of cases are disposed of via plea deal (I have no idea what rate is in PA).  But I have heard prosecutors say that the more work they put in as the case gets closer to trial, the tougher the deal offered becomes. And if the deal is accepted, the accused has to stand in front of judge in open court and confirm their guilt, etc.   

So I  guess we’ll see 

I think the possibility of GH taking a plea deal comes down to a couple of things:

1.Will a guilty plea require jail time ?

2.Presuming the Statute of Limitations hasn't expired,what impact

would a guilty plea have on future civil cases ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I think the possibility of GH taking a plea deal comes down to a couple of things:

1.Will a guilty plea require jail time ?

2.Presuming the Statute of Limitations hasn't expired,what impact

would a guilty plea have on future civil cases ?

I cannot imagine a prosecutor these days making an offer that does not include prison.  And I believe the charges must be filed within the statute of limitations (and they were); when the court dates are depends on a bunch of factors, some more predictable than others

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I cannot imagine a prosecutor these days making an offer that does not include prison.  And I believe the charges must be filed within the statute of limitations (and they were); when the court dates are depends on a bunch of factors, some more predictable than others

I agree.

I think the prosecutor will be looking for jail time.

Unless he feels he doesn't have a strong case.

No question the criminal charges fall within the statute of limitations.

The question is whether or not the statute of limitations has expired for civil cases.

GH may be more likely to take a plea if he can't be sued by his victims.

Edited by rpbobcat

3 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree.

I think the prosecutor will be looking for jail time.

Having followed a lot of federal prosecutions over the past few years, I know that in that jurisdiction, the judge generally has a lot of leeway to impose a sentence that is less than or greater than called for in the sentencing guidelines. (And the sentencing guidelines themselves almost always call for a lesser sentence than gets talked up in the press. When you see a story that says someone "could face as long as 30 years!", be prepared after the plea or conviction for the guidelines to say "5-10 years" and for the judge to say "2-3 years.") But is that also true in Pennsylvania state courts? Or are a judge's hands usually tied there by mandatory sentencing requirements?

35 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Having followed a lot of federal prosecutions over the past few years, I know that in that jurisdiction, the judge generally has a lot of leeway to impose a sentence that is less than or greater than called for in the sentencing guidelines. (And the sentencing guidelines themselves almost always call for a lesser sentence than gets talked up in the press. When you see a story that says someone "could face as long as 30 years!", be prepared after the plea or conviction for the guidelines to say "5-10 years" and for the judge to say "2-3 years.") But is that also true in Pennsylvania state courts? Or are a judge's hands usually tied there by mandatory sentencing requirements?

As far as I know,this is a state,not a federal trial.

I've testified as an expert witness in a number of drug cases in New Jersey.

In my experience,when a defendant takes a plea,it includes agreeing to a specified prison term.

Again,in my experience,I haven't seen a Judge not accept the prison term, if both the prosecutor and

defendant agree to it.