Disturbing DCI rumors

The woodwinds rumor that circulated in Indy last summer that it would be voted on this winter. While similar rumors have been around for many years, the rumors this past summer seemed more specific. The thought was that woodwinds would likely be featured as soloists rather than in marching, but the same was said about trombones and concert French horns, which if memory serves me correctly was voted on in the winter of 2014 and on the field during the summer of 2014. 

13 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Nothing would surprise me anymore in terms of drum corps’ evolution.  For a few years, I’ve been thinking a full-on merger with BOA will come.  Not intending to start yet another rumor, but such a move could easily be justified by those in charge these days.

More Inclusion of woodwinds is a given at this point, probably as soon as this Summer, I think. I’m willing to give anything a look, but am getting closer to my “drop off” point.

I agree with you about DCI and BOA possibly joining forces, and given the good relationship between the two, or at least what appears to be a good relationship, which dates back to the 1980’s, at least according to the Legacy DVD’s, it’s surprising it has not happened already. Something else that has surprised me is that over the years, none of the band circuits have attempted summer programs for marching band. There are summer programs for youth symphony orchestras and jazz bands, but no marching band programs that compete filled with all star members.  While some may say there are band camps, mandatory band camps are often as fun for aspiring drum corps members as SAT prep is for aspiring writers.

15 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Nothing would surprise me anymore in terms of drum corps’ evolution.  For a few years, I’ve been thinking a full-on merger with BOA will come.  Not intending to start yet another rumor, but such a move could easily be justified by those in charge these days.

More Inclusion of woodwinds is a given at this point, probably as soon as this Summer, I think. I’m willing to give anything a look, but am getting closer to my “drop off” point.

I used to be hard-core against WW and being more "band-like".  There are worse things, by far.

I fell in love with drum corps because of what it did for music kids; the instrumentation was an added bonus.  But, I see such incredible "Major League" marching music programs at the HS level that I wonder if an alignment with BOA is not only inevitable, but almost necessary.

It's apparent that USBands is not longer a real challenge, and that BOA is, actually, the "Major League" of HS competition circuits.  Maybe there's more synergy to be captured by a closer alignment if not full-on merger of the two.

I think woodwinds will evolve into use.  While I recall GH saying something like "What I could do with a sax quartet there...", I also wonder if corps, at the administrative, guidance, and governance level are ready or interested in changing dramatically their images and optics.  I wondered aloud here if corps were willing to change their "voicing" images by adding woodwinds in mass.

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The woodwinds rumor that circulated in Indy last summer that it would be voted on this winter. While similar rumors have been around for many years, the rumors this past summer seemed more specific. The thought was that woodwinds would likely be featured as soloists rather than in marching, but the same was said about trombones and concert French horns, which if memory serves me correctly was voted on in the winter of 2014 and on the field during the summer of 2014. 

Hmm... I had forgotten.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I suspect (with no inside knowledge) the rumor train is quite a bit off the rails.  

Mike

i'll say 50%

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree with you about DCI and BOA possibly joining forces, and given the good relationship between the two, or at least what appears to be a good relationship, which dates back to the 1980’s, at least according to the Legacy DVD’s, it’s surprising it has not happened already. Something else that has surprised me is that over the years, none of the band circuits have attempted summer programs for marching band. There are summer programs for youth symphony orchestras and jazz bands, but no marching band programs that compete filled with all star members.  While some may say there are band camps, mandatory band camps are often as fun for aspiring drum corps members as SAT prep is for aspiring writers.

This is such an excellent point.  I've said for years that DCI is missing a huge opportunity by forcing its individual stars to compete against their corps to get time to practice.  Instead, there should be dozens of individual stories each year, and NOT in I&E.  Right out there on the jumbotron, like highlighting the star linebacker or center forward, DCI should be highlighting the "Brandon Olanders" of the activity every, single year.

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

And, what's worse is that band camps invariably compete hour-for-hour with kids doing summer band called drum corps.  Many HS have little respect for drum corps still and don't want their kids exposed.  Then add something like the GH saga and kids (and parents) start saying things like "Band in the fall and maybe the winter, but sports or a job in the summer".

I fear that woodwinds, if permitted, will be described as optional but will quickly be seen by judges and designers as a requirement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

a merger with BOA or WGI would be out of the question mostly because of school affiliations for groups

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

I used to be hard-core against WW and being more "band-like".  There are worse things, by far.

I fell in love with drum corps because of what it did for music kids; the instrumentation was an added bonus.  But, I see such incredible "Major League" marching music programs at the HS level that I wonder if an alignment with BOA is not only inevitable, but almost necessary.

It's apparent that USBands is not longer a real challenge, and that BOA is, actually, the "Major League" of HS competition circuits.  Maybe there's more synergy to be captured by a closer alignment if not full-on merger of the two.

I think woodwinds will evolve into use.  While I recall GH saying something like "What I could do with a sax quartet there...", I also wonder if corps, at the administrative, guidance, and governance level are ready or interested in changing dramatically their images and optics.  I wondered aloud here if corps were willing to change their "voicing" images by adding woodwinds in mass.

BOA has been the major league all along, for decades now. it was never challenged

• Haha 1