Jump to content

War on Pits


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Continental said:

I have an actual pit question.  

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

 

Add's vibrato.

https://www.google.com/search?q=triangle+playing+technique+vibrato&oq=triangle+playing+technique+vibrato+&aqs=chrome..69i57.20166j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_L4zCXs7_BdirtQbf8rD4BA26

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't particularly care for arm pits,, peach pits or being in the pits, but don't have anything against drum corps pits. They serve a purpose. No idea how to go about it, but I do wish they could be little more mobile. Corps setting them up someplace other than front and center was a start. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

Were people in the stands able to detect the difference or is this something only those closest to the pit could detect?

Or small birds, or sharks that happened to be swimming near the stadium. 

Edited by Continental
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Bells have always been part of Drum and Bugle Corps.  Some of the top corps today started off as Drum and Bell Corps.  Blue Devils are an example and I think SCV too.  They belong in the activity and compliment the overall sound.

But something’s gone wrong.  Really wrong.  Pits have become way-WAY too large and are too dominant in the mix.  Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them.

Less is more. 

What is your solution? I don't see a problem here given this is not the 1970's. Do you really thing that corps will go back to the "good old days"...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Bells have always been part of Drum and Bugle Corps.  Some of the top corps today started off as Drum and Bell Corps.  Blue Devils are an example and I think SCV too.  They belong in the activity and compliment the overall sound.

But something’s gone wrong.  Really wrong.  Pits have become way-WAY too large and are too dominant in the mix.  Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them.

Less is more. 

so 80 brass isn't enough, but 14 in the pit is.

 

i'll gladly fight on the non mobile percussion ensembe's behalf. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

What is your solution? I don't see a problem here given this is not the 1970's. Do you really thing that corps will go back to the "good old days"...

"Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them"

It bears repeating. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't particularly care for arm pits,, peach pits or being in the pits, but don't have anything against drum corps pits. They serve a purpose. No idea how to go about it, but I do wish they could be little more mobile. Corps setting them up someplace other than front and center was a start. 

it's getting there. i am seeing more exploration of this in WGI. granted a much smaller venue, but it's being tried in increments

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...