Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Are you equating expressed allegiance to a movement you have already admitted is ambiguous with the “right thing”?  Would you tell a black business owner, who refrains from expressing such allegiance because they feel it includes supporting things that could remove important protections and thereby endanger their lives, that they are doing the wrong thing and deserve to be put out of business?

As noted in a previous response, I'm not calling for anyone to "express allegiance" to Black Lives Matter. But I basically agree with everything in that statement from the McCarter Theatre that I posted earlier. Don't you? You seem to be awfully worried about hypothetical marginal exceptions to its general principles. 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm still wondering how the heck anyone thinks boycotting a business is against the free market. Boggles the mind. 

So you would have no problem with people boycotting a business because the owner is black?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As noted in a previous response, I'm not calling for anyone to "express allegiance" to Black Lives Matter. But I basically agree with everything in that statement from the McCarter Theatre that I posted earlier. Don't you? You seem to be awfully worried about hypothetical marginal exceptions to its general principles. 

OK, so as best as I can tell, your answer is that you do not believe in blacklisting or boycotting a business that refrains from voicing their support for the Black Lives Matter movement.  Thanks for clarifying.  I was having a hard time following you.  

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So you would have no problem with people boycotting a business because the owner is black?

Checking on something since I walked away this morning and noticed this:

To this post the reponse is much as I hate the reason they have a right to spend their money where they want. I never go to ChikFilA and have been blasted by some for that. Knew some people who would argue they wouldn’t go to a black business for religious reasons (no mixing races).

As for last few posts, why are some people here (who possibly have never experienced racism) trying to figure out why businesses are speaking out. How about contacting or actually believing the statements that are released?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Removed pointless reference to race
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Checking on something since I walked away this morning and noticed this:

To this post the reponse is much as I hate the reason they have a right to spend their money where they want. I never go to ChikFilA and have been blasted by some for that. Knew some people who would argue they wouldn’t go to a black business for religious reasons (no mixing races).

As for last few posts, why are some white people (who possibly have never experienced racism) trying to figure out why businesses are speaking out. How about contacting or actually believing the statements that are released?

I’m not sure who you are asking,

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I’m not sure who you are asking,

If you mean the white people trying to figure out... it’s meant as a rhetorical question. No nastiness implied....

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If you mean the white people trying to figure out... it’s meant as a rhetorical question. No nastiness implied....

I didn’t see any nastiness, I just didn’t understand the question or who it is directed to.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No. Nor would I have a problem with people reaching out to the employer of every person photographed engaging in such a protest and asking them why they have a racist on staff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I didn’t see any nastiness, I just didn’t understand the question or who it is directed to.  

No problem, just trying to make it clear for everyone

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No problem, just trying to make it clear for everyone

Well, everyone minus one at best, cause I don’t have any idea what you are saying. As one of the people in the referenced “last few posts”, I was unsure of how related to anything I was saying.