Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

Speaking of confusion and boycotts hitting the wrong business, sister sent me an article from the local paper. Some people were refusing to go to a bakery because of a political sign in a window. They didn’t want to patronize because of the sign and fortunately some told the owner why. Fortunate because the owner didn’t know there was a problem as it wasn’t her sign... or her window. Belonged to a tenant in another part of the building. Good news is tenant removed the sign because she is on good terms with the business. 

Got the article as it is a mile from me and my one neighbor works there

On 6/11/2020 at 11:13 PM, Cappybara said:

I do not take the words “defund the police” to mean abolish the police. If there are people saying to totally abolish the police, they are twisting the original intent of the catchphrase. 

The catchphrase, much like black lives matter, isn’t the best in how vague and potentially misleading it is, but it does get people’s attention which I believe is the goal. 

NY times opinion disagrees with you. 

On 6/12/2020 at 1:56 PM, cixelsyd said:

Good.  If you are true to your word, then there will be no more name-calling and personal attacks such as this:

Back to the topics you brought up:

Branding the idea you describe as "defunding" is inaccurate.  Even you admitted it was confusing.  On that, I agree with you.

Not sure what you are talking about there.  But since you are not replying, I guess I will never know.

For someone to have "personal interests" to serve by touting a drug, they need to choose one that is under patent protection.  Without that, no one can create such a "personal interest" in a 70-year-old generic malaria drug already manufactured by 30* different companies all over the globe, with nothing stopping additional manufacturers from entering the market.

(* could be more than 30 - stopped counting after 3 minutes of Internet searching)

No strawman.  Yes, you said nothing about immediate enactment.  I merely noted that it is unfortunate timing.

watch it or this person might PM you with some type of threat. 

I will edit this to say unsolicited advice. just randomly rolling out info that they feel free to share. 

Edited by E3D

On 6/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

An initial and very small French study, to which a lot of other researchers quickly responded with skepticism, suggested a combination of hydroxychloroquine and certain antibiotics had a salutary effect for Covid-19 patients. I think all or nearly all subsequent studies have failed to find it helps at all, either by itself or in combination with other drugs. One prominent study went ever further than that, finding that hyroxychloroquine not only didn't help but actually hurt Covid-19 patients, causing heart problems. However, those researchers subsequently withdrew that report after questions arose about the underlying data they were using.

As for why some people were pushing the drug, as far as I have heard, it doesn't have anything to do with financial interests. The drug has been around a while. It's available in generic form. Multiple companies make it, and if it were identified as a real cure, others would follow suit. It would be relatively cheap, so the financial incentive isn't there.

Instead, I think the various parties who were touting hydroxychloroquine probably have a gullible and unserious nature that leads them to hope for miracle cures rather than to face the hard truths of a bad situation and put in the real work needed to solve the problem.

(That's not meant as a description of anyone here. Most people here, often including myself, are just repeating what they hear from people they believe to be qualified to make such pronouncements.)

yet the lancet retracted their info. and yet India keeps on rolling on. You guys are a bunch of hacks who pretend to have info and yet people like me who took the crap for RA live all day long. 

not a cure but something people are using. Get over yourself. 

https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/hydroxychloroquine-efficacy-covid-19-lancet-report-retracted-6447824/

• Haha 1

Just now, E3D said:

yet the lancet retracted their info.

Yes, I mentioned that in the post you quoted.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, Cappybara said:

You’ve had numerous people explain to you what it means, and you also have the beauty of the internet to inform. And that applies to everyone. If someone isn’t understanding it, that’s on them. 

send me another PM I dare you. 

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Tell that to the Dixie Chicks.

You're free to continue to support any business you like. No one's stopping you. The business is free to decide whether or not it's worth it to them to make themselves more appealing to other potential customers for whom this is an important issue.

tell that to fake news who go on and on about Russians while the real enemy is right here. Oh and lets not make a avatar political please. NO PM's I'm freaking exhausted 

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm still wondering how the heck anyone thinks boycotting a business is against the free market. Boggles the mind. 

lets just take a laugh at you. 

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, I mentioned that in the post you quoted.

not so much really. 

1 minute ago, E3D said:

not so much really. 

"However, those researchers subsequently withdrew that report after questions arose about the underlying data they were using."

• Haha 1