Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Since you asked, let us explore that.

This subtopic started with these posts:

Your initial contention of tangibly supporting those with whom you agree is free market... and had this been a list of "Theaters Speaking Out", it would have been pertinent too.  But instead, this was a list of "Theaters Not Speaking Out".  See the difference?

Your initial contention of tangibly supporting those with whom you agree is free market.  But then you went here:

No, that is the exact opposite.  You are telling people what not to choose.  You seek to constrain their choices.  That is not "free market".

There is a difference between providing a list of businesses not to support and putting a gun to their head telling them to not choose something. 

Encouraging a boycott is the same thing as passing around a petition. No one is forced to follow along, but it is well within your rights to tell someone “please support this cause by boycotting these businesses”

Because I’ve seen that you enjoy using definitions: here’s one “a free market is a system in which the prices for goods and services are self-regulated by the open market and by consumers. In a free market, the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government or other authority, and from all forms of economic privilege, monopolies and artificial scarcities” 

The bolded items are key. Telling people to boycott a business is the same as self-regulation by consumers. 

Edited by Cappybara

In open market I thought word of mouth was important.  You could say “you should go there, the food is great” or “When I was there they messed up my order and acted like it was my fault, If I were you I’d go elsewhere “.

IOW can be positive or negative.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

In open market I thought word of mouth was important.  You could say “you should go there, the food is great” or “When I was there they messed up my order and acted like it was my fault, If I were you I’d go elsewhere “.

IOW can be positive or negative.

The more you try to reason, the more the goal posts move. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There is a difference between providing a list of businesses not to support and putting a gun to their head telling them to not choose something. 

Encouraging a boycott is the same thing as passing around a petition. No one is forced to follow along, but it is well within your rights to tell someone “please support this cause by boycotting these businesses”

Because I’ve seen that you enjoy using definitions: here’s one “a free market is a system in which the prices for goods and services are self-regulated by the open market and by consumers. In a free market, the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government or other authority, and from all forms of economic privilege, monopolies and artificial scarcities” 

The bolded items are key. Telling people to boycott a business is the same as self-regulation by consumers. 

Can you please stop using mind control?  It's affecting where I want to eat. 

After I read your posts it's as if I have no freedom of thought. 

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1

Just now, Continental said:

Can you please stop using mind control?  It's affecting where I want to eat. 

Lol how many choices do you have up there in the time of CV? Which reminds me another word of mouth/possible boycott item. Few of us locally have been texting which businesses use safe CV practices and which don’t (bad or no masks on employees, best touch less pickup, etc). Reporting what we see and not telling each other what they should do. 

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol how many choices do you have up there in the time of CV? Which reminds me another word of mouth/possible boycott item. Few of us locally have been texting which businesses use safe CV practices and which don’t (bad or no masks on employees, best touch less pickup, etc). Reporting what we see and not telling each other what they should do. 

I read what I can.  I use more than one source - even two is not enough.

I live in a small city within a larger one.  We are the only municipality in Canada to have a new bylaw that states we must wear a mask inside places of commerce or in municipal buildings. We are expecting a 5 day heat wave this week.  No one is complaining to the point of protesting.  We wear the mask because it will help.  It is not comfortable to wear a mask in 90+ F temperatures.  We manage.  

We also have rights here.  There are places I will not shop at because of how they behave - whether socially or with regard to how their employees are treated.

It is my right.

It is not rocket science.  I have the right to do this.

As for convincing other people.  They can listen or they can do what they want.  That includes family and friends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Continental said:

I live in a small city within a larger one.  We are the only municipality in Canada to have a new bylaw that states we must wear a mask inside places of commerce or in municipal buildings. We are expecting a 5 day heat wave this week.  No one is complaining to the point of protesting.  We wear the mask because it will help.  It is not comfortable to wear a mask in 90+ F temperatures.  We manage.  

We also have rights here.  There are places I will not shop at because of how they behave - whether socially or with regard to how their employees are treated.

It is my right.

As for convincing other people.  They can listen or they can do what they want.  That includes family and friends.

And by the way, we have BLM protests here as well.

Our Premier says there is no systemic racism in Quebec.   The Mayor of Montreal says there is. 

The Mayor is right.  We do have systemic racism.  It's quite obvious.  You just have to read the news here. 

6 minutes ago, Continental said:

It is my right.

I was thinking of choices in eating places. PA has mandatory masks in businesses (unless person has a medical condition and cannot wear one). After a few weeks see people getting too relaxed on masks worn properly or at all. The very elderly lady without one I figure has medical needs. The two stoned out looking women coming in the wrong way I doubt if they thought about it. 

1 minute ago, Continental said:

And by the way, we have BLM protests here as well.

Our Premier says there is no systemic racism in Quebec.   The Mayor of Montreal says there is. 

The Mayor is right.  We do have systemic racism.  It's quite obvious.  You just have to read the news here. 

Interesting considering the French Canadians said they were treated as second class citizens in the past(?). I remember the 70s separatists in the news and I’m a big hockey fan and read what Rocket Richard meant to French Canadians

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

I was thinking of choices in eating places. PA has mandatory masks in businesses (unless person has a medical condition and cannot wear one). After a few weeks see people getting too relaxed on masks worn properly or at all. The very elderly lady without one I figure has medical needs. The two stoned out looking women coming in the wrong way I doubt if they thought about it. 

I see younger people not wearing masks - the majority of older people are taking this seriously.   Some are treating it like every single person has the plague and they need to keep 50 feet of distance.  I just smile.  Yes, I smile behind a mask.  

• Like 1