Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

43 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have to check the spelling but reading 1960s info came across Katahdin(sp) Rangers junior corps from Millinocket. Name so unique easier to remember 

Well that would make sense. Katahdin is Maine's tallest mountain, located in Baxter State (itself some 300 sq. miles) which is about five miles north of Millinocket. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well that would make sense. Katahdin is Maine's tallest mountain, located in Baxter State (itself some 300 sq. miles) which is about five miles north of Millinocket. 

And what else is up there 🤪 . Spent the night in Biddeford,ME (ME/NH border) before a flight home. In the 1930s they had a corps that competed in American Legion Nationals. Other than that only other ME corps I can think of is Maine’s Marching Ambassadors (aka Pine Tree Warriors) who were Jr for a while and then Sr (saw them at DCA). 

On 8/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, Continental said:

Exactly. And I think the opposite of this is what Edward Banfield in 1958 termed "amoral familism," which in its simplest terms is the belief that there is no common good, or as another commentator summarized it: "the tireless and cunning pursuit of ... short-run advantage, with concommitant nonbenevelonce ... [and] suspicion and distrust of others, who, of course, are presumed to be similiarly acting upon impulses of pure [self-interest]. ... In this environment, misery of mind and body are self-perpetuating". 

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

It's amazing the lengths to which posters will go to distract from the biggest elephant in the room that no one is allowed to discuss.

Adept or adroit, it's quite entertaining.

jeez bring up some history around here.....

Are you saying it’s getting elephant doody deep around here? 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I don't think DCI has the luxury now of following what any other group chooses to do.  Time is the cure here and just because WGI bails doesn't mean that DCI has to.

Still PLENTY of time.

I wonder... if each corps put out the notice that, effective immediately and until further notice, there would be (highly modified if required) in-person try-outs from November until January.

If I were DCI, I would establish an audition schedule that gave time for cuts to find a home at another corps and hold corps to it:  Top six by December 1st, 6-12 until Dec 15th, 13-22 until January 15 (or even Feb 1st).  And I would negotiate a declining cost for cuts auditioning at second and third camps.  Make it easy and worthwhile (aka: cheaper) to keep trying until they make a corps, if not their dream corps.

All the while, DCI personnel should darn-well be staying in touch with the major venues (regionals, etc) to keep everyone in good spirits, planning, and being ready regardless of which way the decision goes.

If they allow sports stadiums and other group gatherings, drum corps in stadiums is possible.  (Wouldn't one have to say "Better" or "Safer" OUTDOORS?)

Planning to make it happen takes all the time.  Cancelling it takes minutes.

In a weird way and slice of time in the universality, DCI might be thrust into the position of being a leader in the activity.  Will they Box-5?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Exactly. And I think the opposite of this is what Edward Banfield in 1958 termed "amoral familism," which in its simplest terms is the belief that there is no common good, or as another commentator summarized it: "the tireless and cunning pursuit of ... short-run advantage, with concommitant nonbenevelonce ... [and] suspicion and distrust of others, who, of course, are presumed to be similiarly acting upon impulses of pure [self-interest]. ... In this environment, misery of mind and body are self-perpetuating". 

Oh, baloney.

EDIT: Oh, wait.  You defined the opposite, you didn't state your opinion of which is the correct stance.  Very clever, and I've described no less of you.  What you said is true.  I'll retract my baloney until you share your opinion of which is appropriate for civil society and drum corps to follow?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

It's amazing the lengths to which posters will go to distract from the biggest elephant in the room that no one is allowed to discuss.

Adept or adroit, it's quite entertaining.

Katahdin is much bigger than any elephant.

Seriously, I highly recommend a visit to anyone who's up for a strenuous hike to the top.

783px-TjWikiKatahdin.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't think DCI has the luxury now of following what any other group chooses to do.  Time is the cure here and just because WGI bails doesn't mean that DCI has to.

Still PLENTY of time.

Silly optimist that I am, I'm inclined to agree with everything in this post.

27 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

• Haha 1