DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

48 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

What problem?

Oh, is that the problem?  Never fear.  DCI has operated that way for its entire existence.  It has always been a conduit for funds, rather than a receptacle.

Sorry, but drum corps is not Shark Tank.  That is not what the activity is here for.

But why take my word for it?  You just said so yourself a couple of pages back:

Maximize the gate came first in the original iteration, too

7 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

They still throw things up every once in a while. Couple of weeks ago they posted an hour-long breakdown of BD 2013 on YouTube.

Ah, I just haven’t seen any podcasts lately. 

52 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

This dance has gone on long enough.  Are you willing to drop the third person, and contend that it is your own opinion that pre-covid DCI was already on the brink and only Varsity can save it?

They are the kind of steps DCI has taken over and over whenever growth accidently occurs.

Uhh, no.  Pre-Covid DCI had no solid direction to solve the key problem and members were left to consider only a shrinking pie and getting their piece of it.

I speak in third person because I didn’t like the first two.  Actually, I always speak just for myself.

Your second point needs no embellishment by me except “accidental growth”.  Yep, no more needed.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCAF has been discussed here for several years now. In fact there's usually a column discussing DCP. you may or may not have been a target of those columns 😂

I’m both glad that I was completely unaware and, at the same time, certain that I couldn’t care less.

His viewpoint and mine couldn’t appear to be further apart.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, garfield said:

I can't disagree, it'll probably end up nothing beyond Varsity trying to start SS/DLB in school environs.  Doesn't that take band director/music director approval?  I'm sure they've thought that through.

That said, people, businesses, and practices change with time and maturing markets.  Maybe, in time and with some demonstration of what can be made substantial with SS/DlB, Varsity will show good practice and good faith.  If there's any part of DCI that I think is worth risking for that gamble, it'd be SS and DLB.

My thought is they are trying to provide a framework for scholastic music ensembles to perform, not go into schools and start groups. The school music staff would be responsible for that.  iIf they sign up for events set up by DCI/Varsity, by definition they would be Scholastic SoundSport participants, be they percussion, winds, maybe even choirs and/or string ensembles. Who knows what they are thinking at this point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E3D said:

Does DrumcorpsAF stand for drumcorps as ####? Whatever has happened to people and society. Next thing you know Drunk Corps International will be sticking it to Drumcorps as ####. 

Drunk Corps hasn't had an episode in a while now, though the group is active on twitter

4 hours ago, E3D said:

Well since we are going to openly discuss members that may or may not have been a topic. You may or may not have been a target of some things said on twitter.:lol:

i'm sure. I even remember to log into twitter once or twice a week to look around. 

4 hours ago, E3D said:

Does DrumcorpsAF stand for drumcorps as ####? Whatever has happened to people and society. Next thing you know Drunk Corps International will be sticking it to Drumcorps as ####. 

Robert Graves, the novelist and poet (e.g., I, Claudius) who served in the British army in World War I, said that the word, in its adjectival form, was used so frequently in the ranks that the only thing it meant was that a noun was following.