When History is Kind

I watched 1980 recently. I was reminded of two great shows, one that was not underrated at the time and can still stir up lively debates about whether it should have placed first: 27th Lancers. Though much of the show was a tweaked and revised version of 1979, if you know both shows well there are significant differences and it had a flow 1979 did not have that was mastered in 1981, which was actually an underrated show, but I digress. Everyone knew George Zingali created what was at the time his masterpiece, only to do greater things with Garfield and eventually Star, where he created his true masterpiece. Yet while everyone marveled at Zingali’s drill with excellent reason, Santa Clara had an under-appreciated asymmetrical drill that year that was revolutionary for the time and influential, that is now appreciated but got mixed reviews from judges and fans, especially when they fell from the top 3 in finals, something believed to be impossible in earlier years.

I would also argue Phantom’s 1980 show was underrated. They had a great musical book and amazing guard. During the season they topped Spirit regularly and at one point placed first against 27th and Bridgemen. I do think 5th was justified. Spirit left it all on the field that night after what was a difficult season for them, and someone I know who marched with Bridgemen told me they had no illusions of beating Blue Devils or 27th and thought Phantom might surprise them, and ended up having a great show which turned out to be an all-time favorite and placing 3rd.  

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I watched 1980 recently. I was reminded of two great shows, one that was not underrated at the time and can still stir up lively debates about whether it should have placed first: 27th Lancers. Though much of the show was a tweaked and revised version of 1979, if you know both shows well there are significant differences and it had a flow 1979 did not have that was mastered in 1981, which was actually an underrated show, but I digress. Everyone knew George Zingali created what was at the time his masterpiece, only to do greater things with Garfield and eventually Star, where he created his true masterpiece. Yet while everyone marveled at Zingali’s drill with excellent reason, Santa Clara had an under-appreciated asymmetrical drill that year that was revolutionary for the time and influential, that is now appreciated but got mixed reviews from judges and fans, especially when they fell from the top 3 in finals, something believed to be impossible in earlier years.

I would also argue Phantom’s 1980 show was underrated. They had a great musical book and amazing guard. During the season they topped Spirit regularly and at one point placed first against 27th and Bridgemen. I do think 5th was justified. Spirit left it all on the field that night after what was a difficult season for them, and someone I know who marched with Bridgemen told me they had no illusions of beating Blue Devils or 27th and thought Phantom might surprise them, and ended up having a great show which turned out to be an all-time favorite and placing 3rd.  

I think the problem w/ 1980 SCV wasn't the asymmetrical drill; it was the long, standstill concert number (Evita medley; midseason replacement for 'Caravan') that was a hot mess.

They came roaring back in 1981.

27 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think the problem w/ 1980 SCV wasn't the asymmetrical drill; it was the long, standstill concert number (Evita medley; midseason replacement for 'Caravan') that was a hot mess.

They came roaring back in 1981.

IMO, I don't think it was the concert piece that was the issue with SCV.  I think it was a year spent on trying to adapt to what they had produced vs. the captions.  From a GE effect they were quite something, yet execution was not as expected.  There were significant issues with many captions.

Yet, the show is recognized for what it produced....a significant change in what was expected. 

SCV appeared twice in Boston in 1980 on back to back nights. “Evita” was the highlight of both nights. I do recall hearing or reading, perhaps on this site, that 1980 was a rebuilding year for Santa Clara which was why they took a chance with the drill. I also believe they got off to a late start and because the drill was complex, changing things mid season was difficult. 

I remember seeing SCV late I season at Michigan City (the show where SoA ‘broke pressbox glass’, but that is a different story).  Evita seemed totally ‘meh’ to me; the rest of the production was cool as heck.  They did win that night.  SoA, Cavaliers, BS, & Sky Ryders were also there.  Perhaps others (Guardsmen maybe?). 

20 years later, and I still can't get over this ballad. Enjoyed the whole show, and think it got a little less love than it should have because they were competing with Madison top 6 up until the very end of finals week....with finals at Camp Randall Stadium. 

The arrangement is wonderful, and so is the phrasing and dynamics by the brass ensemble. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

I watched 1980 recently. I was reminded of two great shows, one that was not underrated at the time and can still stir up lively debates about whether it should have placed first: 27th Lancers.

Lancers' show was mostly re-tread from the year before, and didn't have the Finals spark their 79 outing did. BD was a machine, and even with a middling percussion performance, it wasn't enough to diminish their strengths in horns and visual.

Lancers shouldn't have beaten BD, but they shouldn't have lost to Bridgemen either: 2nd was the right place.

Edited by Slingerland

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Lancers' show was mostly re-tread from the year before, and didn't have the Finals spark their 79 outing did. BD was a machine, and even with a middling percussion performance, it wasn't enough to diminish their strengths in horns and visual.

Lancers shouldn't have beaten BD, but they shouldn't have lost to Bridgemen either: 2nd was the right place.

I’m not sure I’d agree that 1979 27th  with a 5th place finish had a spark that 27th in 1980 missed. I do have a great deal of respect the 1979 27th Lancers. They got off to a slow start in 79.  They took the time to clean the drill but even in mid-August there were doubts. Some knew 27th would end up placing in the top five and Madison and North Star who had topped them most of the season would plateau, but even some of their diehard fans thought it was wishful thinking. In 1980 they were still riding high after their Olympic performances for most of the season, including at DCI East where they defeated Blue Devils. I’m not sure how many times I saw them in 1980. I seem to remember a few early shows in June then not seeing them again until they returned to the area for their home show and CYO Nationals in August and they were on fire.

I didn’t go to Birmingham that year. I watched it on TV and remember George Zingali’s ecstatic interview after the show. I know many 27th alums who believe they were robbed, and some who will concede it was not their night. I have talked to a few Blue Devils alums and while they did not concede that 27th should have won, they believe their best show that year was not finals but CYO Nationals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure I’d agree that 1979 27th  with a 5th place finish had a spark that 27th in 1980 missed. I do have a great deal of respect the 1979 27th Lancers. They got off to a slow start in 79.  They took the time to clean the drill but even in mid-August there were doubts. Some knew 27th would end up placing in the top five and Madison and North Star who had topped them most of the season would plateau, but even some of their diehard fans thought it was wishful thinking. In 1980 they were still riding high after their Olympic performances for most of the season, including at DCI East where they defeated Blue Devils. I’m not sure how many times I saw them in 1980. I seem to remember a few early shows in June then not seeing them again until they returned to the area for their home show and CYO Nationals in August and they were on fire.

I didn’t go to Birmingham that year. I watched it on TV and remember George Zingali’s ecstatic interview after the show. I know many 27th alums who believe they were robbed, and some who will concede it was not their night. I have talked to a few Blue Devils alums and while they did not concede that 27th should have won, they believe their best show that year was not finals but CYO Nationals.

I always wonder how 27th would have been scored had guard counted for something outside of it's participation in the overall General Effect caption. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Continental said:

I always wonder how 27th would have been scored had guard counted for something outside of it's participation in the overall General Effect caption. 

Ive heard that assumption for decades. Like now and then rest assure guard and the visual aspect played a major role in all captions ( as it does now )  Even back then when there wasn't an actual score. I can remember dozens of tapes with guard comments on them. It may not have had an actual score but you can bet it counted.

It was nice though when FINALLY a major part of a corps and membership was assigned numbers and showed the importance ( which many of us knew already and was growing)

Edited by GUARDLING