A Show or a Convention?

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

everything open where I am, BUT you can not enter or will be asked to leave if a no mask is your choice

Still have a few places closed by choice mainly churches that have online and/or outside services. Tomorrow my credit union re-opens the lobbies for the third time. Before you had to make an appointment to enter. Schools trying to open but have to close when someone gets Covid. Pain in the ### at times but imo no more taking away “rights” than not being allowed to drive on the sidewalk as both safety issues. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Still have a few places closed by choice mainly churches that have online and/or outside services. Tomorrow my credit union re-opens the lobbies for the third time. Before you had to make an appointment to enter. Schools trying to open but have to close when someone gets Covid. Pain in the ### at times but imo no more taking away “rights” than not being allowed to drive on the sidewalk as both safety issues. 

Yeah , although everything pretty much is open where I am there still is a constant open then close open then close, especially with schools. Seems less lately bit I think less talked about. Unfortunately it's what happens when we all become used to or adapt to a new normal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yeah , although everything pretty much is open where I am there still is a constant open then close open then close, especially with schools. Seems less lately bit I think less talked about. Unfortunately it's what happens when we all become used to or adapt to a new normal

New normal.... know some people here don’t like hearing personal experiences but had 2 family members go thru life changing health issues. Had to adjust to “new normal” for them so they could have a full of a life as possible. Guess going thru that makes me kind of *shrug* having to now mask or make other changes in everyday life.  Been there, done that and no BFD...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

New normal.... know some people here don’t like hearing personal experiences but had 2 family members go thru life changing health issues. Had to adjust to “new normal” for them so they could have a full of a life as possible. Guess going thru that makes me kind of *shrug* having to now mask or make other changes in everyday life.  Been there, done that and no BFD...

I hear ya Jim..I have been outside a covid unit 4 times with a person entering a hosp. waiting on results and have had some relatives with Covid. Oddly the oldest being 80 who recovered but still has no smell or taste BUT the youngest being 40 was in an ICU for 3 weeks and still on oxygen 4 months later with perm. lung damage and now having heart issues.

I also recently was told of another relative who is pregnant   ( 24 years old )who was just diagnosed.  A mask seems like no big deal, at least to me when you see some of this up close and personal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I hear ya Jim..I have been outside a covid unit 4 times with a person entering a hosp. waiting on results and have had some relatives with Covid. Oddly the oldest being 80 who recovered but still has no smell or taste BUT the youngest being 40 was in an ICU for 3 weeks and still on oxygen 4 months later with perm. lung damage and now having heart issues.

I also recently was told of another relative who is pregnant   ( 24 years old )who was just diagnosed.  A mask seems like no big deal, at least to me when you see some of this up close and personal.

I call it a crap shoot. Know of friends of friends in their 70s who felt like 48 hour bug. Then 20 year old nephew looking at long term monitoring to see if his lungs are permanently impaired. He’s at college and one of his roomies friends stopped by and both nephew and roomie got nasty cases. Just no way to make sense of how people are affected which makes it worse

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I call it a crap shoot. Know of friends of friends in their 70s who felt like 48 hour bug. Then 20 year old nephew looking at long term monitoring to see if his lungs are permanently impaired. He’s at college and one of his roomies friends stopped by and both nephew and roomie got nasty cases. Just no way to make sense of how people are affected which makes it worse

And, the stats on who is likely or not to get it means nothing when you're the one affected or a friend or loved one. Recovery from this is another thing, although as I said the 80 year old recovered ( pretty much ) yet the 40 year old not so much, and permanent  damage. No one knows what long term may be many years down the road with all this.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Works for me!  Now let's sing! Your mind is totally controlled, It has been stuffed into my mold, And you will do as you are told, Until the rights to you are sold.

problem is if i tried that, no one would believe me

On 2/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, Fred Windish said:

Whatever it is that happens with DCI-related public performances this summer, it would be helpful to recognize the distinction between a “show, and a “convention.”  There is a difference in both purpose and goals.

In my view, individual drum corps create and present a show.  Drum Corps International, Inc., for Indianapolis, produces and presents a convention.  Same can be said for DCI’s  Allentown, Atlanta, San Antonio weekends.

Host cities have interest in generating new dollars coming into the community.  As such, funding help to cover some expenses of the convention presenter is readily available. Provided, of course, and in direct correlation with the amount of new dollars brought in. This assistance could be in the form of an outright financial grant, reduced price for a stadium, a convention hall floor, separate meeting rooms, police protection, clean-up, office space, staff and materials, cooperative advertising buys, etc.  In addition, it is common to be awarded with blocks of free hotel room/nights for staff. The bigger the convention, the greater the assistance.

A normal DCI Indianapolis Week is a major convention for the community. Obviously, much bigger events happen there, Vroom!   But, DCI is notable, too! Even now.

It is critical for DCI to faithfully produce something big in Indy.  This year will understandably be scaled back. We don’t even know at this point what it will look like!

No matter what this unusual gathering looks like, there will still be new dollars brought into the host community. With three days of variety spread around, incoming participants (attendees) and fans will add-up.

Remember, the host community will not care if there are just 3 corps doing a field performances, a few concerts, just one convention floor event, mini-corps, drum line battles, guard performances, jazz bands, etc. All of this activity can be augmented by several scheduled business meetings, workshops, dining groups, cocktail receptions, corps banquets, etc.

it’s about spending money in Indianapolis!

In another topic here, consideration is given to having several smaller weekends elsewhere. Bring it on!

However, do not discount the importance of pulling as many people possible to an Indianapolis event. That’s our annual “big event,” for 2021, and hopefully, next year. 

Indy 2021 is where every marching-music supplier, every financial sponsor, every Friend of DCI, all instructors, judges, clinicians, etc. can meet at maximum benefit.  This, single “focus” event will be where the best available audio/video products will be produced for sale, where the live broadcast of greatest interest will happen, where every corps souvenir and recruiting effort can benefit, even if their full corps is not present. The possibilities are many.

DCI needs more than just a drum corps show in Indy. It needs another CONVENTION.

To keep this precious heart beating !

A Show NOT a Convention?